Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Poor import quality.

Poor import quality. 4 years, 5 months ago #90244

• Mike0rr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I recorded some full screen video of MineCraft using Fraps at 30 fps as a .AVI 1920x1080. This video looks good when played in Windows Media Player but looses its quality when imported into LightWorks. (I will attache a photo of what it looks like pre-edit and link to the post-edit video on YouTube. The exported video on my computer is the same quality as the one I have uploaded to YouTube.)

At first I thought the issue was occurring during export until I read you could full screen your edits with F12 and in doing so I found that my quality was degraded upon import and was never as nice as the raw video. I've tested a few imports and no matter what I do, my video always degrades when imported into LightWorks. Even before anything is changed or edited.

I am pretty new to video editing and recording and really, just flat out dealing with file formats at all. I have looked for help on Google the past few days but can't seem to find my issue so I apologize if I am repeating something already well covered. I really like LightWorks and would like to keep working with it. I assume I am missing something simple being so new to the program and editing in general.

Here is the link to the YouTube video:
The attachment is from Windows Media Player, to compare with the video, pause it at the 58 second mark to see the quality loss.

Thank you for reading my post and for any future help you guys provide. I hope you all understand how much your help is appreciated to those of us who would have to give up without said help.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by Mike0rr. Reason: Forgot some important info

Re: Poor import quality. 4 years, 5 months ago #90250

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Fraps is a terrible codec for editing. As you found out it looks fine as long as it is in a video player, but an NLE is not a player. You need to learn how to transcode your video to a high quality editing codec before importing into Lightworks. There is so little data depth in a highly compressed codec like fraps that it falls apart as soon as you try to do anything but play it.

Another issue that can cause problems is variable frame rate capture. NLE's expect broadcast standard resolutions and fixed frame rates. Lightworks is more picky about the quality of video imports than some NLE's, but none of them deal with non-standard resolutions and frame rates well.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit
Last Edit: 4 years, 5 months ago by David Rasberry.

Re: Poor import quality. 4 years, 5 months ago #90283

• Mike0rr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Thank you. I understand most of what you are posting here but being so new to all of this I have a few follow up questions.

-Should I not be using Fraps then or do I just need to change the codec of my videos from Fraps before importing them into LightWorks?

-Are any of LightWorks built in transcoders a good choice for this job or is there another program I should use?

-Even if Fraps still works and there is a built in transcoder that works fine, do you suggest a better program for either end?

I made sure to keep the resolution standard at 1920x1080 with no borders being cut off and it came out just fine but I don't know much about fixed frame rates. That's something I should probably learn anyways and not just ask about in a post anyways and I don't really want to deviate from the point if it doesn't concern it here (Not that it doesn't)

My hope here is that I can still use Fraps since it is easy to use and light weight but If it comes to Fraps vs. LightWorks, LightWorks wins as long as there is another decent option for a screen recorder. I'm just praying it doesn't come to that.

Again, thank you for this awesome point in the direction so far. Even with this response alone, I at least have my feet on the ground and know which way to start walking.

Re: Poor import quality. 4 years, 5 months ago #90288

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I suggest you read through some of the other threads in the screen capture section. There is a lot of good information buried in there. I don't do screen capture from games, so others may have better advice. Some people seem to have worked out satisfactory methods for Fraps footage. But it will always lose some quality going through the edit and export process in any NLE.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Poor import quality. 4 years, 5 months ago #90292

• Mike0rr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
I'm adding this as to help anyone else that stumbles on this forum in search of help with the same issue:

So after David Rasberry, the poster above, had given me a few pointers I went and looked into some coders. I quickly found "EyeFrame Converter". I read (and watched videos) saying it was no longer needed but as a last ditch effort I went ahead and experimented with it anyways. (I could also stand to play with the native transcoder some more now that I know a bit more about them.)

The video quality seems to have improved drastically on import. So the issue did in fact lie in the .AVI format that Fraps exports as. I would not have found the answer without Davids fantastic direction and I am very grateful for posters like him.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top