Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: [SOLVED] Audio on video is white noise after importing

[SOLVED] Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64227

• MightyMugwump
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
After I imported my video and tried playing it back in lightworks the audio was just this jolting static sound. It plays fine in my normal media player outside of lightworks though, and when I import it into Windows Movie Maker.
Its an AVI file and is a screen recording by Bandicam, which says the audio is 48.0Khz, stereo, and 192kbps. If you any other info let me know.
Thanks!
Last Edit: 4 years, 10 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64228

• Craig Marshall
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
Assuming your video frame rate is one of the industry standards, (Lightworks will not tolerate variable frame rate video recordings) open your audio mixer (key M) and adjust the horizontal sliders pan post) so you have stereo audio, not mixed mono, as your tracks may be cancelling each other out.
Custom Haswell z87 i7 3.9Ghz 4770
System SSD, 16TB Internal RAID 0, Cache SSD
16GB DDR3, Thunderbolt, Nvidia GTX 970 G1 Maxwell GPU
Lightworks Pro with DNxHD license
Resolve 15 with OxygenTec ProPanel
X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
2 x 24" HD GUI, 24" 10bit Rec.709 IPS Monitor
12G Decklink 4K SDI Pro>HD-Link Pro>Display Port
Sony 55" X9005B 4K Client Monitor
Sony Super 35 HD camera with Atomos ProRes Recorder
4x4" matte box/follow focus. Zeiss 'Contax' FF primes with Metabones 'Speed Booster'
Rode NTG-3/I-Rig XLR Phantom preamp
HDvideo4K.com
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by Craig Marshall.

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64229

• MightyMugwump
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
No, that didn't work I'm afraid. I tried muting half too and it was still just the white noise. Also no its not a variable frame rate.

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64230

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
Are you able to successfully import the audio separately? Doing so will eliminate the possibility that the audio file is causing the problem.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64233

• MightyMugwump
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
Is there a way to only import the audio files of a video through lightworks? A quick search didn't help and the only other way I can think of is to convert a copy of the file. Thanks for the help so far!

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64239

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
If you drag and drop your clips into Lightworks or right-click the Import tool you'll be presented with Batch Import. There is a dropdown for each entry that allows selecting video, audio, or both.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64278

• MightyMugwump
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
I can import the audio file separately, but its the same static unfortunately.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by MightyMugwump.

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64283

• rhinox202
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
That being the case, there is more information you can provide. This will help the Devs resolve the issue. Please analyze one of your clips with MediaInfo and post the results. Also, please include a 2-3 second sample that imports with the issue.

For the time being, you can transcode your clip with EFC ("Audio Only" preset) or another transcoder to a 16-bit 48kHz PCM WAV.
Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) :: 4GB :: 256GB SSD :: 1TB HD :: EVGA Geforce GTX 1050 Ti :: Win 10 Pro (1709) :: Lwks 14.1 Beta

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 5 years, 7 months ago #64285

• fischerb
rhinox202 wrote:
For the time being, you can transcode your clip with EFC ("Audio Only" preset) or another transcoder to a 16-bit 48kHz PCM WAV.

it can sound like white noise if the byte order of 16-bit sound is wrong (big endian vs. little endian)

could you check if the file plays well with ffplay

than you can use ffprobe to report the byte order...
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by .

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 4 years, 10 months ago #84250

• 94aharris
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
I was experiencing the same issue when trying to use files produced with Bandicam. After some tests, I found my issue was with the Audio codec that Bandicam uses by default (MPEG-1 L2) after switching the codec to PCM in the Bandicam audio settings I did not have any issues with subsequently recorded videos.

For the videos I had already recorded, they simply needed to be re-encoded. Handbrake was the program I used (because it is a free open-source encoder, but any of your choice is fine) and I simply re-encoded the videos as MP4 with their default settings, then they imported and worked in lightworks without any problems.

Saw that this was an older thread, but just wanted to throw my solution out there as I encountered the problem last night so others may as well.

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 4 years, 10 months ago #84288

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 10 months ago
Thanks for the post, 94aharris, and welcome to the forums. You'll notice that I have now moved this from the codecs forum that it was in. This forum didn't exist when that was posted, but users with this issue are more likely to find the answer here.

For the same reason I've marked this thread [SOLVED].

Re: Audio on video is white noise after importing 4 years, 7 months ago #88088

• loophole64
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 7 months ago
Excellent, thank you 94aharris! I've been looking all over the place trying to solve this problem. Switching the audio in Bandicam to PCM worked for me as well.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.30 seconds
Scroll To Top