Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import...

Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183385

• DreamBliss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
So I captured almost 30 minutes of Minecraft using FBX Game Recorder. Lightworks refuses to work with the file properly, getting my audio out of sync, even when I have transcoded the file with constant bitrate and play tested it in MPC-HC to see it is playing and synced perfectly.

What happens is the file will import, it will start playing in sync, then when I click to about the middle of the clip, I notice it is out of sync. One time when I imported the clip into the time track I saw that the audio part of the clip was considerably shorter, maybe 2/3rds the length of the video. yet it was not sped up or slowed down. It should be the full length of the clip.

The worst thing is that Shotcut imports the video perfectly - no issues. Hitfilm Express also imports it perfectly - no issues. If these two NLEs can handle this file, why can't Lightworks? Answer, something is broken with the import. Broken so badly even if the video is transcoded it will not import correctly - the issues remain exactly the same.

Here is the Media Info report:
Video
ID :	1
Format :	AVC
Format/Info :	Advanced Video Codec
Format profile :	Baseline@L3.1
Format settings :	1 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC :	No
Format settings, RefFrames :	1 frame
Codec ID :	avc1
Codec ID/Info :	Advanced Video Coding
Duration :	29 min 12 s
Bit rate :	2 824 kb/s
Width :	1 280 pixels
Height :	720 pixels
Display aspect ratio :	16:9
Frame rate mode :	Constant
Frame rate :	20.000 FPS
Color space :	YUV
Chroma subsampling :	4:2:0
Bit depth :	8 bits
Scan type :	Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :	0.153
Stream size :	590 MiB (96%)
Language :	English

Audio
ID :	2
Format :	AAC
Format/Info :	Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile :	LC
Codec ID :	mp4a-40-2
Source duration :	29 min 12 s
Source_Duration_LastFrame :	14 ms
Bit rate mode :	Variable
Channel(s) :	2 channels
Channel positions :	Front: L R
Sampling rate :	44.1 kHz
Frame rate :	43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode :	Lossy
Source stream size :	26.2 MiB (4%)
Language :	English

Here is the transcoded report:
Video
ID :	1
Format :	AVC
Format/Info :	Advanced Video Codec
Format profile :	High@L3.1
Format settings :	CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC :	Yes
Format settings, RefFrames :	4 frames
Format settings, GOP :	M=3, N=15
Codec ID :	avc1
Codec ID/Info :	Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate :	2 636 kb/s
Nominal bit rate :	3 000 kb/s
Width :	1 280 pixels
Height :	720 pixels
Display aspect ratio :	16:9
Frame rate mode :	Constant
Frame rate :	20.000 FPS
Color space :	YUV
Chroma subsampling :	4:2:0
Bit depth :	8 bits
Scan type :	Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :	0.143
Stream size :	551 MiB (95%)
Writing library :	x264 core 155 r2917 0a84d98
Encoding settings :	cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=15 / keyint_min=1 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=15 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=3000 / vbv_bufsize=1835 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range :	Limited
Transfer characteristics :	BT.709
Matrix coefficients :	BT.709

Audio
ID :	2
Format :	AAC
Format/Info :	Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile :	LC
Codec ID :	mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode :	Constant
Bit rate :	129 kb/s
Channel(s) :	2 channels
Channel positions :	Front: L R
Sampling rate :	44.1 kHz
Frame rate :	43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode :	Lossy
Stream size :	26.9 MiB (5%)
Default :	Yes
Alternate group :	1

To be clear I like Lightworks. Found some good tutorials, like the layout. I want to use this program. So here's what I need... How do I make Lightworks like and properly work with this file? what are the "magic settings" that will work with this primadonna of an NLE? Because if I have to open it in Shotcut or Hitfilm Express and transcode it, I will.

I do appreciate you making such an awesome program and giving us a free version. But It really needs to be able to import any kind of video without messing it up. It can't be that hard to do if two other NLEs can do it.

You do not need my system specs (but because you feel you do) I am using a laptop with an Intel i3 quad core processor, 6 gigs of ram and HD 3000 as the "video card." OS is Windows 7. Screen capture is FBX Game Capture. Lightworks also screws up, just stays loading forever - when I try any FRAPS capture over 1 hour.

Trying eyeframe.
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by DreamBliss.

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183387

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

Your videos have a non standard constant frame rate of 20fps, this needs to be converted to a standard frame rate of either 25fps or 30 fps.

You can either do this before import, using Eyeframe or Handbrake or use the speed in the sequence commands to adjust the current frame rate to match your project's frame rate.

Commonly screen capture uses a variable frame rate, rather than a constant one, but see below about importing your original media:

The V14.5 RC11 beta now supports variable frame rates (except AVI files), so it would be worth checking it out. It’s close to release, so is pretty stable; however, this is a new feature in this build being beta tested. It can be downloaded from the same page as V14.

If taking this route, ensure that “Apply VFR correction” is selected in the project menu (top left corner) under video, you can link to or transcode during import. If you have a lower powered computer using the Lightworks’ internal proxy editing should reduce the load on your machine.. Details on P138 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

Given your computers specification I would try using the internal proxy editing, since it's a bit underpowered.
Last Edit: 11 months, 3 weeks ago by briandrys.

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183391

• DreamBliss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your post. Yes, I just found out about the beta - it looks like you guys are already addressing this issue! Awesome! Having trouble with EyeFrame as it is creating videos with too low a bitrate for the video and too high for the audio. But I can report that using it with the default settings worked to solve my issues in Lightworks 14. If I could read the goblygook in the configuration I could customize. But I think I will just update Lightworks to the beta and see what happens. Also need to look at Handbrake again. MPEG2 I assume, constant framerate for audio/video? Also is my 20fps capture the root of the audio issues with Lightworks? Because that was one constant in the capture and the converted capture.

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183393

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Hitfilm and Shotcut are nice software, why not staying with it?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183394

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
If you can, set the original recording for a standard frame rate, 20 fps will always need to be changed.

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183421

• DreamBliss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Yeah I need to report that to the team at FBX Game Capture. It's on my to-do list.

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183422

• DreamBliss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Shotcut crashes more than a demolition derby driver. Hitfilm Express is just too cluttered an interface and, when I double-click to add text, it crashes. I do like the looks of Hitfilm though, and I can use Shotcut fairly well.

But I have the shortcut keys for Lightworks, I have some excellent videos from your ESH Tech, I like the interface, it is stable, and it is designed more around adding in the bits you want to keep and making a video instead of cutting everything, although you can do the same process in Hitfilm Express and Shotcut, it seems more fluid and natural in Lightworks.

I just want to try to edit my videos in Lightworks, go through the few export options that exist, get a sense of the overall stability and workflow. The program clicks with me more than the others so far. But now I have to actually use it for extensive editing before I can make my final judgement. Also I like the option to animate things.

BTW I encoded in Handbrake and, so far, the videos are working fine in Lightworks. I used a modified Production preset, framerate at 23.976, bitrate at 3000, audio at 128k, mpeg2.

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183439

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
Thanks for sharing your settings.

I just downloaded FBX Game Capture, because I love testing new software.

It seems as if recording frame rate is adjustable from "Settings.FPS".

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Unfortunately there isn't anything between 20 and 30 fps to adjust. Try and see if your machine can keep up with 30 (maybe 60) fps without dropping too much frames. If it can, use a 30 (maybe 60) fps project with V14.5 and the native footage without converting.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks video import needs an overhaul... Audio issues with FBX capture import... 11 months, 3 weeks ago #183517

• DreamBliss
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 11 months, 3 weeks ago
OK, will do. Suggested to the team at FBX to at 23.976 and 29.997 as these are standard fps rates.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top