Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media

Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 8 years, 4 months ago #13273

• Peachey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 4 months ago
Hi all,

I am a perfect noob when it comes to this, so please forgive me if I've overlooked the obvious.

I've found it difficult to begin with lightworks because whenever I import a video file, the imported video ends up about 25% shorter than the audio. Have I imported at the wrong frame-rate (I've tried several rates), or is there something else I've missed, such as converting the video to the right format before importing?

I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit, and the files I've been trying to import are MP4 and AVI formats.

Many thanks,

Peachey
The topic has been locked.

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 8 years, 4 months ago #13274

• SMPse
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 years, 4 months ago
The video is probably using a non-standard frame rate eg. 20 fps.
Insert the clip to an edit, park at the beginning of the clip, open 'Advanced', set 'Speed' to 75% (if it's 25% shorter), drag out the end of the video track to align it to the audio tracks.

EDIT: Shaunthesheep has made a video tutorial about this, here
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by SMPse. Reason: Adding

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 8 years, 4 months ago #13708

• Peachey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 years, 4 months ago
Awesome!! Thanks so much for your help - Shaun's other videos have been extra useful as well.

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 4 years, 5 months ago #94951

I took a video on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) which was sync'd perfectly. When uploaded to lightworks it was slightly out of sync..

I have no idea how to fix this.. Please help

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 4 years, 5 months ago #94954

very frustrating.. I have tried changing the speed percentage, and moving the files around to try to match them up.

Any thoughts?

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 4 years, 5 months ago #94958

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Devices like phones tend to use variable frame rate recording. An NLE separates video and component streams for editing but the phone provides no way of aligning the sound with changing frame rate pictures - best idea might be to first transcode your footage to perhaps ProRes in perhaps ClipToolz convert.

For more specific advice please post a MediaInfo analysis on a phone file.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 3 years, 11 months ago #105744

• Trexzilla65
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
Hello. So I use a video capture software called Shadowplay to record some gaming videos. When I play them back with Windows Media Player all the audio is synced. My issue is that once I play the file in Lightworks my audio will only be synced for a minute or two before the audio is three seconds behind the actual video. I've looked at different methods on other topics but nothing has worked. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. If it can help it says that the video footage is running at 59.94 fps.

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 3 years, 11 months ago #105745

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

So that users can see the technical details of the video you're importing, please read this sticky and follow the directions,

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 3 years, 11 months ago #105756

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 11 months ago
Problems like yours are very common with people using screen captured footage, so I'm moving this to the Screen Capture forum, where you'll probably find the help you need.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 1 year, 3 months ago #183347

• zennosha
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
This problem is really killing me right out. slowing the video can do the trick but problem is the video shortens! for example, my 6:32 min video is shortened to 6:00 min video. The video seems to be on full length but the audio is cut in the end. Meaning, I lost my 6:32 - 6:00 min which is 00:32 min audio T_T. how to conserve my audio? please help me someone. thank you

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 1 year, 3 months ago #183348

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

If you're using media from a phone or screen capture, which uses a variable frame rate, rather than a constant one:

The V14.5 RC11 beta now supports variable frame rates (except AVI files), so it would be worth checking it out. It’s close to release, so is pretty stable; however, this is a new feature in this build being beta tested. It can be downloaded from the same page as V14.

If taking this route, ensure that “Apply VFR correction” is selected in the project menu (top left corner) under video, you can link to or transcode during import. If you have a lower powered computer using the Lightworks’ internal proxy editing should reduce the load on your machine.. Details on P138 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 1 year, 3 months ago #183350

• zennosha
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Thanks a lot. I have just started using Lightworks from today morning. its really fun and free at the same time. Its really easy to get around with as well. But i am just hitting wall at this moment, as the video is shortened and somehow the Audio's end is cut as well.
I thought i was on the latest version of lightworks. I will look for the beta version. thank you again.

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 1 year, 3 months ago #183351

• zennosha
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
Thanks a lot Moderator!!! A lot of thanks!! it really worked! I love the V14.5 RC11 beta version. what a time to start for me! feeling lucky. Thanks a lot again for replying to me so swiftly.

Regards!

Re: Video/Audio out of sync when importing media 1 year, 3 months ago #183353

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 3 months ago
No problem, I'm now locking this thread since it refers to earlier versions of Lightworks and things have changed.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.34 seconds
Scroll To Top