Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS

weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116251

• FailNic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
So...
I don't know how to start.
I have a crazy audioproblem in Lightworks, that I cannot explain, even after many months of troubleshooting.
I'm not an expert, but I unterstand enough to say, that it is not a dumb issue like a wrong Framerate, etc. ^^

Let's say I record something with my DSLR and now I want to edit this in Lightworks, it's absolutely NO PROBLEM.
When I've downloaded a song to have background music, it is no problem either.

So far I ONLY have this problem with the sound from OBS.

I can't explain, what the problem is, because I never had this before and I never heared something like that before.

The sound is correct for most of the time, but sometimes, like all 10-20 seconds, it sounds like the audio is there twice, moved/shifted by maybe 10ms.

Here an example I recorded extra for this post:

Here is the original song:

Here are the first seconds recorded with OBS and then rendered with Avidemux:
www.dropbox.com/s/6v1szcts376xbgx/YT_Test%28OBS%29.mp4?dl=0
You can hear, that the audio is good.

Now, the SAME recorded file, loaded in a new Lightworks project, and exported with the YouTube 720p settings, and then rendered with Avidemux to get the file smaller:
www.dropbox.com/s/70fkyjbkgzrwh8v/YT_Test%28LW%29.mp4?dl=0
You can hear, that the audio is sometimes laggy, but also sometimes shifted.
Especially at 0:28/29 or 0:35/36 or 0:11-0:20.

Sometimes it's even worse.

But now comes the funny part.
Sometimes, when I export the video, some of this errors are GONE, but in 90% they still exist, like in this case.
BUT, when I close Lightworks, and open the project again, the damaged pieces (in this case 0:29 and 0:36) may be fixed (not always), but then the problem occurs at other seconds.

At the beginning I thought, that both audiotracks (L and R) are shifted for some reason, but when I only activate one track in the Lightworks Audio mixer, I can still hear the laggy sound. It occurs on the left and right track at the same time.

I tried everything. Maybe Lightworks cannot handle the AAC codec from OBS, so I switched it to mp3, I tried 44,1 instead of 48khz, used a smaller bitrate, because I thought that maybe the cpu is not powerful enough to handle it (128 instead of 320).

Nothing helped. When I open the recordings with the vlc-Player, the issue isn't there (the first link I posted is directly from OBS). The problem is definitely in Lightworks.

I tried these settings (sorry for german, I forgot to switch it to english for the forum):
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
And then I switched some settings because I thought, that Lightworks has Bitrateproblems or something like that, so I ended up with this (in english ):
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. (Also tried CBR padding)

I have a Medion laptop with an intel i3, 4gb of RAM, nvidia geforce gt 630m and Windows 7.

Please help me. I am really frustrated because this doesn't make any sense to me.
I hope you have an idea.

Thank you for reading this, also if this is not perfect english, because I'm from Germany.

FailNic
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by FailNic.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116254

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
Thank you for a thorough explanation of the problem.I believe you are looking at a known bug when editing H264/aac media natively. You could try transcoding the source material to edit friendly codecs before import (I use ffmpeg). Also, others have had success importing via the 'copy local' method to Lightworks.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116256

• FailNic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
WOW, thank you for the quick answer.
I will try this out.

Hm, but I wonder, why I haven't found the problem here in the forum, when the bug is so well known.
I searched here for 2 months, before I decided to post it myself

I will tell you, if it works or not.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116258

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
The issue is not limited to screen capture and the bug doesn't manifest for every user every time. Consumer cameras also record in H264/aac format. That's where it is most often seen and reported.

Ideally, you would want your capture to be converted to edit friendly/uncompressed format before import to Lightworks. We have also worked around this problem by extracting the embedded audio and converting to uncompressed wav. Then importing the wav file separately to Lightworks.

Additionally, for 2 channel stereo, ensure the pan sliders in the mixer panel are full left and right for respective channels.

FWIW, your English is perfectly easy to understand. No apology is needed.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116263

• FailNic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
FWIW, your English is perfectly easy to understand. No apology is needed.

Then I'm relieved. ^^

I know, that I need to do this for stereo, I just haven't done that in this case, because I just wanted to show the issue (and I forgot it )

But THANKS A LOT
The method to create a local copy, seems to work for me. I don't know if I just had huge luck and the five minutes I listened to a recording actually just don't had this error, but I will keep an eye on it.

But I still don't unterstand, why this works, but not the create link method.

In the case, that create local copy won't help, I will try ffmpeg and tell you how it goes.

BTW, do you have any link to other topics in the forum, that talk about this issue? I would love to see, what other people write to this problem.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116264

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
@donkpow,

do you know if there is a bug report covering this issue?

If the answer is yes, will this be fixed in the near future?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116265

• FailNic
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
@hugly, that would be my next question, too.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116266

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
But I still don't unterstand, why this works, but not the create link method.
Create link links directly to the original H264/aac file. Copy local converts the embedded audio to pcm wav.

do you know if there is a bug report covering this issue?

If the answer is yes, will this be fixed in the near future?
I know development is aware of the problem. They have commented that the source of the problem is in the Main Concept engine. I can't say when the problem will be fixed because I don't know.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 3 years, 2 months ago #116267

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 2 months ago
Donkpow, thank you.

"do you have any link to other topics in the forum, that talk about this issue?"

The most recent:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=114933&Itemid=81#114941

This issue is one of the reasons why I convert all compressed audio (AVC/AAC AVC/MP3) with audacity to PCM.wav prior to import. Then I link video and audio seperately to the project.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 2 years, 7 months ago #131636

• janagyjr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
hugly wrote:
Donkpow, thank you.

"do you have any link to other topics in the forum, that talk about this issue?"

The most recent:
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=114933&Itemid=81#114941

This issue is one of the reasons why I convert all compressed audio (AVC/AAC AVC/MP3) with audacity to PCM.wav prior to import. Then I link video and audio seperately to the project.

That's introducing way too many steps for something that should be handled easily. I already spend nearly 6 hours a day making videos (most of that editing). I really hope this is going to be taken care of soon (along with Lightworks issue with importing mp4 recorded with multiple audio tracks).

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 2 years, 7 months ago #131650

• David Rasberry
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
You can record PCM audio directly in OBS Studio. You don't have to use AAC.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 2 years, 7 months ago #131652

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
The known problems with OBS multitrack audio in MP4 containers and some issues with MP3 and AAC audio are also present in recent V14 beta.

These issues are reported and should be known to development but some of those might be caused by third party libraries and I don't know if all issues will be fixable with V14.

I'd suggest to transcode multitrack audio MP4 and also any compressed audio prior to import as part of a standardized workflow. This will improve edit performance and reliability significantly. Transcoding time is short compared with time for trouble shooting and fixing problems afterwards.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 2 years, 7 months ago #131723

• janagyjr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
David Rasberry wrote:

No, you cannot. OBS Studio 17 for PC does not have PCM audio as an audio option for mp4 (or any other) video format.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 2 years, 7 months ago #131724

• janagyjr
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
hugly wrote:
The known problems with OBS multitrack audio in MP4 containers and some issues with MP3 and AAC audio are also present in recent V14 beta.

I cannot use the LWKS beta (at least build 9026) because it doesn't recognize the audio at all.

These issues are reported and should be known to development but some of those might be caused by third party libraries and I don't know if all issues will be fixable with V14.

I'd suggest to transcode multitrack audio MP4 and also any compressed audio prior to import as part of a standardized workflow. This will improve edit performance and reliability significantly. Transcoding time is short compared with time for trouble shooting and fixing problems afterwards.

The OBS folks say the issue is with LWKS and will not help any further. Guess I'm just going to have to deal with the audio remaining mixed as I will not introduce any more steps into my workflow, however short. Thank you for your time.

Re: weird audioproblems in Lightworks with audio from OBS 2 years, 7 months ago #131748

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 7 months ago
janagyjr wrote:
David Rasberry wrote:

No, you cannot. OBS Studio 17 for PC does not have PCM audio as an audio option for mp4 (or any other) video format.
Doesn't the ffmpeg option give you the opportunity to record in pcm audio?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds
Scroll To Top