Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO!

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120598

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
.. scaling it to 1152x720 if you want square pixels. Lightworks should interpret that as 1280x720 media, which is a standard. You will get 64 pixel-wide black margins either side, but it will work that way.

Are you sure?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by hugly.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120612

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
hugly wrote:
.. scaling it to 1152x720 if you want square pixels. Lightworks should interpret that as 1280x720 media, which is a standard. You will get 64 pixel-wide black margins either side, but it will work that way.

Are you sure?

I believe that's the way it works. Since I only work with professional formats I'm obviously not speaking from experience, though. If you have cause to doubt that this is the case, let us know.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120613

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
1152x720 will be stretched to 1280x720 without black boarders. Anything with 720 an 1080 lines is assumed to be 16:9 anamorphic (maybe a tribute to DVCPro broadcasting formats?)

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120617

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Ah. Well in that case, it might be better to scale to 1280x800, T6A5. You will either lose 40 pixels top and bottom, or you will squeeze your image vertically by 10% (9.09% if you're being totally accurate).

If it's the latter you can always re-establish correct geometry by using a DVE effect and either scaling vertically to 110% or horizontally to 90%.

Just remember, I'm working from theory here, hugly is working from experience.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120619

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
I went back to read the recent discussion again and I found something I missed:

There doesn't appear to be any pattern behind which clips this happens to. Sometimes, in the editor, they will all show up fine, but clips will be changed at random in the export process.

That's not what I am talking about!

Randomly changing aspect reatios, never seen that before.

No 720 or 1080 lines format seems to be involved. Although I can't imagine that the files shown above have been used as they are without transcoding prior to editing.

Anyway let's wait until we get a feedback from T6A5.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120620

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Agreed. I've never seen random changes like that either.
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120733

• T6A5
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
Thanks for the help everyone! Transcoding the video to 1280x800 did the trick, it exports like it should now. Many thanks all for all the help

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 1 month ago #120794

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 1 month ago
My statement above is wrong:
1152x720 will be stretched to 1280x720 without black boarders

Just checked 1152x720 jwrl suggested above. It works as described.

I guess it's better to use 1152x720 insted of 1200x800, you will get 16:10 (with black borders in 1280x720) like your original footage.

My assumption above was based on earlier tests where I used only 4:3 footage with different line counts which is stretched at 720 and 1080 lines (but also at 960 and 1440 columns)

EDIT:

And I broke my golden rule: test first post later!
Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years ago #123689

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years ago
Hello

I have been using OBS for a period of time for my videos. Only within the last two or so weeks have some OBS files (as well as Elgato files) gone to "not analyzed" even if they are recorded/created minutes apart with no settings change or game change. When I try to import those files into lightworks it just crashes.

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

File that is analyzed

This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

File that is not analyzed

When I try to import the not analyzed video into another editor (Camtasia Studio 7) It says "Unable to decode video stream" for every single OBS file. Any ideas on that one?
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Tipsyfish.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years ago #123690

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years ago
It's probably a corrupt file. Good computer maintenance practices can help prevent such things. You may be able to repair it through ffmpeg by forcing the format, "-f mp4".
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 7 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 2 years, 12 months ago #124083

• Tipsyfish
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 years, 12 months ago
I ended up sending the files through yet whenever I try to process from Lightworks it causes my computer to freeze.
I haven't had this issue before when using Lightworks.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 2 years, 12 months ago #124103

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 12 months ago
As donkow said above it's very likely that you're dealing with one ore more files which got somehow currupted. You have to find them and sort them out.

Prior to this you might wish to try to set "Show audio waveforms" from the timeline menu to "No" and see if this prevents your computer from freezing.
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by hugly.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 1 year, 4 months ago #175106

• StoneyRun
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Admittedly I didn't read most of this thread. But, if it's game screen recording you want check out fbx.flashbackrecorder.com/home. No affiliation. It's just really good at recording lag free game videos for editing in post.

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 1 year, 4 months ago #175115

• fishmonger
    Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
Variable frame rate recordings from OBS are now supported in 14.5 RC3
f

Re: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 1 year, 4 months ago #175116

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 4 months ago
That's the problem with raising old threads: information that was useful becomes redundant. Because the current release (14.0) doesn't handle VFR well I'll leave this as it is, but as fishmonger says, the simplest fix is to use 14.5 RC3 or better. This thread is now locked.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top