Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO!

Game / screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108330

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Hello all,

I have been struggling to get Lightworks editing anything produced from OBS in the last few days.

Gamers who record are going to be fairly reliant on OBS or similar due to NVENC or VCE on their GPUs to get a good quality capture with minimum overhead. Small issue with this is that the variable frame rate captures you get from a lot of these programs do not work properly in Lightworks when transcoded or linked in directly when imported.

This usually leads to an external transcode having to be done for each file which is s total pain in the bum.

Luckily the new OBS Studio which appears to can record in a FIXED FPS.
Lightworks hasn't seemed to struggle at all with these files and I have been able to edit / cut with no issues after transcoding AND LINKED.

tl;dr Use OBS Studio when recording your screens or in games to avoid Lightworks A: breaking or B: wasting time and quality via additional any transcoding.

My working settings :

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please note: The Keyframe interval must be set to 1 in order for linked editing to work properly.

Forum mods/ Admins you may wish to pin this post / pin a USE OBS STUDIO IF SCREEN CAPTURING post.
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Processor - Black Edition @ 4.8Ghz / System Memory: 16 GB DDR3 / System Drive: 128 GB SSD / Secondary Drive: 500 GB SSD / Storage RAID0: 500GB / External Storage: 4TB / GPUs: 2x AMD R9 290 / OS: Windows 10 64 bit / Lightworks Pro 12.6.0
Last Edit: 3 years, 10 months ago by jmoore2.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108337

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
I use OBS on occasion. I did a very detailed examination of frame duration in a short capture clip using ffprobe. Even with no action in the scene, OBS recorded in variable frame rate. Lightworks did accept the footage and the short clip played without problem. However, the clip was definitely recorded in VFR and a clip of longer duration is likely to cause problems. I have not tried "OBS Studio" (formerly "OBS multi-platform") and hope it records in true CFR. I doubt it does. Please prove me wrong.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108338

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Well, unless mediainfo is making it up it says constant frame rate mode in OBS studio.

The original OBS however shows variable frame rate between 58.824 and 62.500.

I'll investigate with FFProbe when I am back from work on the OBS studio capture.
CPU: AMD FX 8350 Processor - Black Edition @ 4.8Ghz / System Memory: 16 GB DDR3 / System Drive: 128 GB SSD / Secondary Drive: 500 GB SSD / Storage RAID0: 500GB / External Storage: 4TB / GPUs: 2x AMD R9 290 / OS: Windows 10 64 bit / Lightworks Pro 12.6.0

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108340

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Yes, I understand. MediaInfo doesn't do any analysis of its own, it reports what the application wrote to the file. So if you command your software capture program to record in CFR, it will write that information to the file even if it fails to capture in CFR.

I had a terrible time discovering that fact. On different capture software, MediaInfo was telling me CFR but whenever I tried to edit the file, it showed symptoms of VFR. The quickest test for VFR I found was to use ffmpeg. If you transcode a VFR source file to anything else and enforce a constant frame rate in the command line, you will see frames dropped or duped in the command prompt or terminal window. When frames are duped or dropped, that is an indication ffmpeg is correcting the frame rate. Ffmpeg should tell you exactly how many frames have been duped or dropped.

Ffprobe can tell you what the duration is of each frame. If each frame is not exactly the same, that's VFR.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108353

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Well you can count me confused, done the analysis on two files, one old OBS which cannot transcode properly in LW and the other the new OBS studio which does transcode properly.

FFProbe seems to confirm both as being constant FPS, both have fixed durations.

(Confirmed this by using grep and pulling duration out into a new file then grepping anything not the right fixed duration, there was no output so every duration was the same.)

Adding the output of FFProbe to this, this is confusing as old OBS does state a variable FPS but doesn't appear to have one.

Transcoding the OBS file in Lightworks results in a black screen after exactly 290 seconds (4min 50 seconds) where as the OBS studio file shows no such issues.

Any idea what is causing a problem given both appear to be fixed FPS. Nothing is obvious in the OBS.txt at 290 seconds...

Transcoding both files now, not seeing any drops or dupes... Weird
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108355

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Okay, I have the file. Let me have some time to look at them.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108357

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Interestingly, Iain at LW support has confirmed the same issue at 290 seconds on his end for the OBS (old OBS) file when import transcoding.

That and his end also reflects issues same as mine when editing as linked then exported, rather than transcoded, with the wrong frames showing / not displaying, to blank video or jittering stuck between two frames.

I haven't sent him a OBS Studio file on the basis I haven't had any trouble with them.

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108368

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
What are you saying? Are you saying frame #290 is a bad frame?

Can you run this command (adapted for your variables)? Then go to the bottom and find average frame rate.

C:\vid\ffprobe.exe -show_streams -select_streams v -show_frames -show_entries frame=pkt_duration file.mp4 >output.txt
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Last Edit: 3 years, 10 months ago by donkpow.

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108370

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Been doing this for a while but the file is fairly large so this is taking a while. Preliminary output indicates a fixed interval (on all frames) of 16.

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108371

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Are you still dumping all the data?
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108372

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
Yes, most of my CPU time is currently encoding which is probably the chief reason it is taking so long.

It appears that a lot of the problems I have been having with the editor bugging out are due to my GPUs using CrossFireX. Now I've disabled it and rebooted I am no longer having issues, so I am testing the encoder output now. (I will make another thread for this as CrossFireX really does seem to be causing a problem with the editor.)

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108373

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
This is a more accurate report on frame duration:

C:\vid\ffprobe.exe -show_streams -select_streams v -show_frames -show_entries frame=pkt_duration_time intro.mp4 >output.txt
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108374

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
The OBS studio file output for your command has finished showing an interval of 256 without change.

ffprobe.exe -show_streams -select_streams v -show_frames -show_entries frame=pkt_duration 2016-02-11_21-52-42.mp4 >> OBSStudiooutput.txt

Awaiting the Old OBS file output now.
Attachments:

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108375

• jmoore2
  • Edu User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
The Old OBS terminal output includes:

"concealing 323 DC, 323 AC, 323 MV errors in P frame"

Re: Game screen capture, OBS, variable frame rate import and Lightworks - USE OBS STUDIO! 3 years, 10 months ago #108376

• donkpow
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 years, 10 months ago
That file shows a constant frame rate of 60/1 or 60 fps.
HP Z600 5570
PNY Quadro K620
SB Audigy SE
Windows 10 Pro
ShuttlePRO v2
Time to create page: 0.44 seconds
Scroll To Top