Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination !

LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years, 5 months ago #69545

• rafals
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Hi,

I decided to share with you my first experience with Lightworks and Linux, after it's few days of testing.

I decided to intall Linux on separate drive to Win XP due to it's lifecycle end.
I decided to choose OPENSUSE 13.1(x64) due to my previous experience with this distribution.

First i have installed Nvidia propertiary graphic drivers and at the first try of LWKS installation, zypper (software management app in opensuse) told me that is missing portable audio library. After installation of the library, LWKS was installed without any errors.

It's working like a charm. I was testing it with my Mini DV (Panasonic NV-GS 330 PAL) material and with AVCHD from Canon HF 10 (NTSC). Both codecs are perfectly supported by LWKS. Export to mp4 (only one available in free version)) is working also. Beautifully in the background.

I made also a quick test, by connecting Canon camera to Linux box. I was positively surprised that camera was recognzied and i was able to ply m2ts files straight from internal flash memory with VLC.

The only thing which was blocking me from switching to Linux in recent years was lack of good video editing program. Thanks to LWKS team now this is not a showstopper anymore.

Have hope that this post encourage some people to give try to Linux & LWKS combination if they need to switch from Win XP.

Best regards,
Rafi

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years, 5 months ago #69553

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 years, 5 months ago
Rafi, first, welcome to the forums. It's really nice to get a first post that isn't a "Lightworks won't..." thread. I'm currently entirely Windows-based, but I have been toying with the idea of trying a Linux (Ubuntu) install. You have encouraged me - maybe this coming weekend.

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years, 4 months ago #70744

• shipman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 4 months ago
What GPU are you using? I'm struggling with really bad performance with my nvidia GTX 750 Ti (only get around 0.45 fps on host to gpu).

Your CPU ? RAM ?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years, 4 months ago #70910

• rafals
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 4 months ago
Hi Jim,

It's funny but I have really old desktop. It's two core AMD 5000+ with Nvidia GT 430, 4 GB ram. I don't know if it's important but I'm using xfce desktop manager. Comparing to your gpu i shouldn't be able to play anything, this is why i think you have something wrong with your configuration.

Playback from timeline is no smooth, but for full hd is about 15 fps. SD video is played with full speed 25 frames.

What drivers are you using? Please remember to install proprietary Nvidia blobs
en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers

I'm attaching internal Lightowrks GPU test on attached screen.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I have seen on the forum thread about choppy playback. The explanation was that lightowrks is not using VDPAU because video is split on separate parts of video and audio. This sounds a little strange that it's not possible to accelerate both of them with VDPAU.

Rafi
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by rafals.

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years, 4 months ago #70971

• shipman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 4 months ago
I'm using drivers from the nvidia site (337.19 beta). I've also tried the drivers from fedora and the stable drivers from the nvidia site. They all seem to work the same.

I have run a graphics benchmark (phoronix guptest) on my system and it performs great. Only problem is with lightworks. (see my post and attachments at www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=21&id=70700&Itemid=81

I get varying performance when I run the lightworks gpu test, but normally I get a Host to GPU number of less than 1.00 fps and a higher value for GPU to Host - Just ran it again now and attached the screen shot.

Don't know where to go from here.
Jim
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years, 4 months ago #71015

• rafals
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years, 4 months ago
Hi Jim,

It's hard to advice, but in your other post you wrote that you have embedded ATI card in your system. You can check your motherboard BIOS if internal ATI card is fully switched off and system can use only PCI card (look also for crossifre section - if there is any - turn it off.). You motherboard has two PCI slots, put Nvidia card to another slot. The third thing you can do is to check if you don't have somewhere installed ATI drivers by accident (catalyst or open source). They could be installed by Fedora installer during initial system setup.

Rafi

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 4 years ago #79582

• vCat
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 years ago
is something loading up the GTX 750 Ti?
Intel Pentium G3220
MSI H81M-E33 V2
MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti GAMING
SeaSonic SS-520GM2
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
^ all are housed inside a SilverStone Sugo SG09
HP W1972a/ENVISION P971WALS
ROCCAT Isku

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 3 years, 7 months ago #88048

• tomek123
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 years, 7 months ago
I'm also a Linux fan. Year ago I tested at least 30 distros, but I was always forced to go back to MacOS because of FCP7. Now, because of Lightworks, I'm in a step of coming back to Linux, but all my old projects are in ProRes files and I still can't find a treat on this topic.

Did you tested import and work with ProRes in Lightworks/OpenSuse? Could you please try?

Here you can download sample files if you don't have any:
www.cinemartin.com/cinec/samples/
Last Edit: 3 years, 7 months ago by tomek123.

Re: LWKS & OPENSUSE 13.1 a perfect combination ! 3 years, 4 months ago #93822

• gary9872
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 4 months ago
This is what I've found. with a GTX 750

Pulse Audio... was running at 115% and making lightworks use another 50% (at idle)

Removing pulse audio brought cpu usage of lightworks down to 7%.

Regarding the Shaders, I would hazzard a guess that there is no proper support for it in the nvidia cg toolkit as they haven't made a new one since 2012.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top