Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Won't install, Error opening file for writing?

Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 9 months ago #2798

• alvey5150
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
Basically when I try to install I enter in where I want it to be saved and stuff and when I click install this happens
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 9 months ago #2927

• THL
  • Expert Boarder
  • 7 years, 9 months ago
Do you have sufficient user privileges to install into c:\program files?
Make sure you are installing and running LW from an administrator account.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6751

• IndSo
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I am experiencing a similar error with different file extension that "cannot be opened for writing".

error opening file for writing:

Yes, I am logged in as the administration in Windows XP Sp2.

I installed this on another system five minutes ago no problem, that system is running Windows Xp sp3 could that be the reason?

Also, this system (I am having trouble with) has Avid on it, could that be the problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Custom Build: Intel Core i7-930 @ 4.0Ghz, ASUS P6X58D Premium, 6GB PC3-12800, Antec TPQ-1000w, nVidia Quadro FX 1800, M-audio Firewire Solo, 1TB System HDD (Windows Xp Sp2 32-bit/ OpenSuse), Avid Xpress Pro 5.5.1, 3 1TB internal HDD.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6752

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Have you disabled all antivirus/security apps before install?
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6753

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I can say that on XP sp3 it works fine even with Media Composer 5.0.3 installed.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6755

• IndSo
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Thank you DrKuli for the prompt reply.

Yes, I have disabled all AV and security programs i.e. Spybot, Adawere etc. etc.

This must be a conflict inherent to my system I guess.

I have attached a screen-shot of the error. If I click ignore I get another similar error ...on and on until it fails for good.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Custom Build: Intel Core i7-930 @ 4.0Ghz, ASUS P6X58D Premium, 6GB PC3-12800, Antec TPQ-1000w, nVidia Quadro FX 1800, M-audio Firewire Solo, 1TB System HDD (Windows Xp Sp2 32-bit/ OpenSuse), Avid Xpress Pro 5.5.1, 3 1TB internal HDD.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6756

• IndSo
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Thanks Greg_E but the system I am trying to install on has Windows XP sp2 not sp3. It worked fine on my other system which has sp3.

Perhaps it does not work with sp2.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6757

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
It should work with XP SP2, according to LW install guide. The message may indicate that you haven't enough privileges to write in specified path, whatever you think about your user account. Is it XP Pro or Home edition?
i5-2500K@4.5GHz | Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 | Radeon HD4850 1GB GDDR3 + Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 2xHP w2408h + Sony PWM14L2 | OCZ Vertex2 40 GB + 2xSamsung HD502HJ | Welland ME751 HDD dock | Liteon iHAS424 | Corsair HX520 | Sharkoon Rebel9 Eco | Win7x64Ult.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6758

• frandesouza
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
It works with XP SP2, that's what I have.
BTW I'm just finishing a fresh install.
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit - Service Pack 1
Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz - 16GB RAM DDR3
MoBo: Asus P8H77-M - Graphics: Geforce GT630 2GB DDR3
HDD: WD 500GB SATA II (system drive) + WD 1TB SATA II Black Edition (work drive)
LG M-Disc ready CD/DVD burner.
Audio: Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & Behringer MS16 monitor speakers
Contour Design Shuttle Pro v2

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6759

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
@IndSo. Check your permisions as in attachment.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6764

• IndSo
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Thank you DrKuli, your suggestion led me to the solution. I cannot believe I had never ran into this issue after years of experience ...but I guess there's always something new to be learned.

I was logged in as the administrator (and owner/only user on the machine) but apparently there was more to it so I am going to post the solution should someone be faced with the same issue. (by the way I am using Windows XP Pro sp2 32bit on an Asus P6X58D with an Intel Core i7 930)

Here are the steps I found on the Adobe website to solve an unrelated issue. This solved the installation problem and got Lightworks installed on my system:

1. If you use Windows XP Professional, temporarily disable simple file sharing (if you use Windows 2000, skip this step and start with Step 2):
1. Choose Start > My Computer.
2. ChooseTools > Folder Options.
3. In the Folder Options window, select the View tab.
4. In the Advanced Settings, deselect Use Simple File Sharing.
5. Click OK to close the Folder Options window.
2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Documents And Settings.
3. Right-click the All Users folder and select Properties.
4. In the All Users Properties window, select the Security tab.
5. Select Administrators under Group Or User Names. If Full Control is not selected in the Permissions list, change the access control level to Full Control.
6. Click Advanced. Select one of the following:

* For Windows XP Professional, select Replace Permission Entries On All Child Objects With Entries Shown Here That Apply To Child Objects
* For Windows 2000, select Reset Permissions On All Child Objects And Enable Propagation Of Inheritable Permissions

7. Click OK. If a Security dialog appears, click Yes to continue.
8. Click OK to close the All Users Properties dialog box.
9. Install Acrobat.
10. (Windows XP Professional only) Reenable simple file sharing:
1. Select Start > My Computer.
2. Select Tools > Folder Options.
3. In the Folder Options window, select the View tab.
4. In the Advanced Settings, select Use Simple File Sharing.
5. Click OK to close the Folder Options window.

Thank you all for your help and assistance. I look forward in learning Lightworks and supporting the Open Source initiative.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #6765

• drkuli
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
I'm very glad that you posted the whole story above, for the benefit of us all. 'Simple filesharing' is one of the very first things, which I disable in process of installing Windows, and was the next item on my checklist to suggest you.

The whole story is one more proof, that Windows installation suitable for DAW/NLE workstation PC is something quite different than one preinstalled, bought with a PC or installed by continuously clicking 'Next/OK' without the idea of possible consequences... If anybody needs some simple guidelines, how to install and optimize Windows - here are these, which I used (with some minor modifications) for every installation I did in the past ten years. And I did thousands of them.

I'm glad, that you solved the problem. It was a pleasure to assist you.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by drkuli.

Re: Won't install, Error opening file for writing? 7 years, 6 months ago #7066

• IndSo
  • Junior Boarder
  • 7 years, 6 months ago
Great DrKuli, thank you for the help and for the Windows optimization link. I think it will come in handy for any future windows installation.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top