Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Frequent Crashes using Timeline

Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months, 1 week ago #224035

• PatrickHi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Hello, I'm experiences frequent timeouts or hangs (the program becomes non-responsive.

This has happened a few different times, not all doing the same thing; It has happened while dragging videos around the timeline. More generally, adding clips to the timeline and positioning them.

The program will throw up an hourglass mouse, and then turn white and say (not responding) so I have to close it out and open it.

I had four or five crashes this morning; this morning is also the first day I began 'editing' (adding clips to timeline) after adding my video clips as EFC mpeg2 iframe hd.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Patrick

in users/public/public documents/lightworks/logs/backup, I see .cab from previous days, but not today. Attached is one of those, along with systeminfo.NFO, error.log and stderror.log.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
There ain't no rest for the wicked,
Money don't grow on trees,
I'm a going hunting, looking for a come-on,
This is ducking awesome.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months, 1 week ago #224037

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Switch back to V14.5 and see if the issues persist.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months, 1 week ago #224061

• PatrickHi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Noob question, but will all the projects, etc., switch over seamlessly?

I didn't find an official link to download 14.5, but I found this one: lightworks.en.uptodown.com/windows

Does there exist a hash to make sure I'm getting the authentic lightworks from this site?

Thanks,
Patrick
This is ducking awesome.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months, 1 week ago #224062

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
From the logs you've shared I see that you ran V14.5 two days ago.

No, the V14.5 installer is not available on this site.

Switching between V14.5 and 2020.1 shouldn't affect your projects, never did here. However, to move to the absolutely safe side, prior to installing V14.5, make a copy of the Lightworks user folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks". You can install 2020.1 sided by side with V14.5 by specifying a different destination folder, e.g. "Lightworks V14.5" instead of "Lightworks".

I don't know if the site is safe for downloading the Lightworks V14.5 installer, but you can download and inspect the checksums of the file. That shows them for the original installer:

File: lightworks_v14.5.0_full_64bit_setup.exe
CRC-32: 5d9d9e47
MD4: bb5ce868d6d85498a42d9f9fdaa81966
MD5: 087ca5f3c1672a87dea2eb0e24c69116
SHA-1: bece1526fc89b0ca96f11f1ca3a710333c60ed93
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months, 1 week ago #224063

• PatrickHi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for this -- yes two days ago, I saw there was a new version, and installed to see if it fixed any bugs. I'll try going back, side by side as you describe.

EDIT: Yes, 14.5 does not crash, so I'll stick with that for now. The UI is definitely more polished in 2020.1, so looking forward to the next bugfix release.
This is ducking awesome.
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by PatrickHi.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months, 1 week ago #224064

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Oh, 2020.1 fixed many bug and added many new valuable features, but it invented, not entirely unexpected, some new issues as well.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months ago #224074

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
PatrickHi wrote:
I didn't find an official link to download 14.5, but I found this one: lightworks.en.uptodown.com/windows

I would be uncertain about that site, given that the information that it gives isn't correct. They say:

Lightworks is compatible with next to all Adobe Premiere and After Effects plugins, something really interesting if you are used to any of them.

That's untrue. It was only ever true for certain plugins, and then often only true for their use with the 32-bit version of Lightworks, which was only available on Windows.

(PS: I have deleted your duplicate post for you.)
Last Edit: 5 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months ago #224085

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 5 months ago
_ also go ahead and save Lightworks v14.5 installer _ just because _thanx
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB
_Lightworks 14.5
Last Edit: 5 months ago by edWD7.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months ago #224086

• PatrickHi
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Thank you. PS the hashes did match, so while the site is suspect, the installer was legit.
This is ducking awesome.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 5 months ago #224090

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
PatrickHi wrote:
Yes, 14.5 does not crash, so I'll stick with that for now. The UI is definitely more polished in 2020.1, so looking forward to the next bugfix release.

The fact that we haven't found what causes the crashes reduces the probability that you will see a fix in this specific case. If one of the already reported known issues includes a fix for your problem, fine, if not, you may wait forever and access to the free version of V14.5 will not last forever.

Unfortunately, the logs you've shared so far don't show any evidence for a crash, neither with V14.5 nor with 2020.1. Trying to find out in which situations the system crashes would increase your chances.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 4 months, 2 weeks ago #224843

• lunderb
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I am also having a similar issue. I've recently setup a new editing PC and I have a project which is working perfectly on my old PC but not the new one.

Old PC specs (project runs perfectly smooth, no problems)
Intel 7700 processor
16GB ram
Media stored on m.2 hdd
GPU Nvidia 1080 GTX

New PC specs (timeline has constant blue circle of death)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
32gb ram (DDR4, 3200 Mhz)
Radeo RX 5700XT GPU 8GB ram
Media stored on m.2 hdd

When I hover over timeline, the blue circle of death constantly comes up. CPU is barely 5% in total on the PC

I've tried uninstalling 2020.1 and re-installing 14.5 but the problem is the same. I've also turned off the thumbnails on the timeline and that makes no difference.

An observation is that on the Intel PC, the CPU definitely gets to work when I hover over the timeline, however on my AMD setup, the CPU is barely moving. It's as if there's a problem with using AMD CPU on a complex timeline.

I have some more simple projects, and on the AMD machine I am not getting the blue circle of death. Any thoughts on this one?
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by lunderb. Reason: Added drive location of media on AMD workstation

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 4 months, 2 weeks ago #224845

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I think your post deserves a new thread, because the original poster was able to fix the problem by falling back to V14.5, whereas you couldn't.

I'm not aware of trouble specific to AMD CPU's and, Lightworks 2020.1 performs on multicore machines with complex timelines better than 14.5. When working on the timeline, the blue circle usually indicates that the system is reading, decoding and buffering media, and/or rendering effects.

The most likely candidate for creating the described behaviour on your machine are highly compressed media with very long GOP. If you don't move the timeline marker you shouldn't see a blue circle, just hovering over the timeline shouldn't show it, even on extremely complex timelines.

Could you share a Mediainfo report of a typical video you're using in the troublesome timeline, together with a screenshot of the timeline fully zoomed-out (without leading/trailing black) in Edit mode?

Here you'll find information on how to create and post mediainfo reports.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81#66072
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 4 months, 2 weeks ago #224850

• lunderb
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks hugly, I've posted a new item under bugs with the additional info as well.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=14&id=224849&Itemid=81#224849

Re: Frequent Crashes using Timeline 4 months, 2 weeks ago #224858

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
I cannot answer the question why your new computer appears to have performance problems on that timeline, whereas your old computer hasn't.

Your mediainfo shows AC3 audio. Lightworks V14.5 and earlier had severe performance problem with AC3 audio so it surprises me that you don't see a difference between V14.5 and V2020.1 in terms of performance on the same machine. Neverthless, I'd suggest not using AC3 audio on performance critical timelines.

What are those multilayer sections with up to eleven video tracks used for, some kind of split screen effect?

Are you aware that the video output format settings on the project card affect the GPU performance.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top