Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: System requirements for Lightworks

System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223238

• nraval
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I have installed latest version of Lightworks on my Laptop with 64-bit Windows 10

1. Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 processor (2.2GHz with 4MB L2 cache memory; 800MHz FSB)
2. Intel PM965 Chipset
3. 3GB DDR2 (667MHz) memory / 250GB SATA Hard Drive (5400rpm);
4. 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800) high resolution;
5. NVIDIA® GeForce® 8400M GS graphic card with up to 1535 MB video memory2

Many times it hangs and crashes. I am unable to work on this laptop

Can you confirm if above configuration is ok or not? If not what can I upgrade to make it working?

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223239

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

You can compare video editing with tractor pulling, your computer is the tractor, your media and complexity of effects the load. If the tractor stalls either the tractor is too weak or the load too high.

Without knowing your media, your computer is far below the recommended specs. Try reducing the load by using the internal proxy workflow and see how far it brings you.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223257

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
nraval wrote:
what can I upgrade to make it working?

Check out the recommended system specs in the technical specifications. The two high resolution displays that are listed there are helpful but not necessary. You can definitely do useful work with one monitor.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223302

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
jwrl wrote:
nraval wrote:
what can I upgrade to make it working?

Check out the recommended system specs in the technical specifications. The two high resolution displays that are listed there are helpful but not necessary. You can definitely do useful work with one monitor.

Those spec are about 5 years old the nVidia K1200 came out in January 2015. 5 years in computer time is a lot of water under the bridge.
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223320

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
For what it's worth, my main system is about five years old, has an i7-4790 @ 360 GHz CPU with 32 GB RAM, a Quadro K2200 and two Dell U2412M 1920x1200 monitors, Nvidia high definition audio and runs Lightworks 2020.1 flawlessly. The boot drive is a Samsung SSD 1 TB, and I have a 5.5 TB RAID5 array for media.

The display card and RAID array is overkill. Any modern gamer's card should suffice, and depending on the media that you need to handle, decent high speed drive(s) should be OK. 32 GB is probably more RAM than strictly necessary, too. The system was actually put together to handle a range of video post production roles, not just for Lightworks.
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223348

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
nraval wrote:
.. 1. Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 processor (2.2GHz with 4MB L2 cache memory; 800MHz FSB)

According to
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/29761/intel-core-2-duo-processor-t7500-4m-cache-2-20-ghz-800-mhz-fsb.html
Launch Date: Q3'06

So the level of development from 14 years ago.
So low performance with high energy consumption.

What CPU power you need depends on what you want to do in Lightworks ( what media?, proxy editing, transcoding or original?, number of video tracks linked by effects ( split screen, multiscreen?, assistant programs?, time for exports and proxy creation?)

nraval wrote:
3. 3GB DDR2 ..

My 6 year old PC has 8 GB RAM, but 16 GB would be better. For some highly compressed media Lightworks needs a lot of memory when analyzing and importing. It depends on whether you want to use an integrated GPU which uses the main memory or a separate graphics card with its own memory.

The GPU or graphics card performance is mainly important for effects. How much GPU speed you need depends on which and how many effects you use. The playback GPU load depends heavily on the project settings (720p - 8 bit, 24 fps is much more efficient than UHD-32 bit, 60 fps).

For the Lightworks effects, there are major changes in development, so some of them may change in the future.

nraval wrote:
.. 5. [..] graphic card with up to 1535 MB video memory2

This may not be enough for some effects, especially if you use the Image effect to apply keyframing to high-resolution images. If your GPU is displayed in the Windows task manager, you can probably see the actual memory usage. When the memory usage reaches its maximum, the system will either become extremely slow, hang or crash.

For GPUs integrated on the Intel processor chip, the Intel website can provide information about the maximum amount of main memory that can be managed by the GPU.
If I am informed correctly, Windows limits the shared memory for integrated GPUs to a maximum of half of the main memory.

Laptops do have the advantage of mobility, but are usually optimized for low power consumption, which can affect performance or require more expensive hardware.
Does it have to be a mobile computer?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223379

• motosega
  • Pro User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
my 2015 macbook pro with intel graphics and 8gb ram is actually fine for running lightworks, anything higher than 1080p and i use the internal proxy workflow.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223380

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
Hi nraval,

It's surely kind of working on the edge, close to the limits, but I'm aware of some members of this forum who reported having successfully edited video with Lightworks on their Intel Dual Core.

I'm not sure if you're still following the discussion, but if you do, some feedback on if, and if, how internal proxies work for you would be truly appreciated.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 month, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223403

• DNL
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
I teach editing sometimes at an underfunded state college. As a test, I edited a simple project on the new $299 KANO computer running Windows 10 home.

kano.me/us/store/products/kano-pc

It worked.

I did the following:

Put all the media on an external USB drive;
Converted everything captured on phones with Handbrake to create constant frame rates;
Proxied everything.
Temporarily downsized stills (replaced with with originals before output).

The video track had many stills with 2D DVE effects. There were 3 tracks of audio. The piece was 40 mins long.

It worked. No stuttering during editing.

Hence, this machine is adequate for learning LWKS and producing student work.
LenovoThinkPad P70, Xeon E3, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro M3000M, SSD internal HD, Windows 10 Professional 64 bit.

Re: System requirements for Lightworks 1 month, 2 weeks ago #223413

• Jpaulbiss
  • Edu User
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 2 weeks ago
DNL wrote:
I teach editing sometimes at an underfunded state college.

Fun eh.
I have been volunteering at an Adult continuous learning centre since 2010 using FatalCut, Premier Pro, Lightworks was added in 2013, I think most of our donated equipment was diverted from the land fill. All these Apps functioned on these way below minimum spec boxes at various speed. Sometimes exporting a video like a stage performance would take all night.

For learning no problems: for production that is different. No one wants to pay an editor to sit around drinking coffee, knit a sweater while the lawn tractor strength computer is struggling to export an epic video.

Maybe reword the minimum spec to: recommended for optimal performance.
Only a thought
HP Elitebook 840, 2xDell U2312HM, UbuntuStudio 20.04 LTS, Lightworks Keyboard, Shuttle Pro 2 which works sometimes
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.50 seconds
Scroll To Top