Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: System Requirements.

System Requirements. 3 months ago #218083

• Piyush K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Hey everyone. I was looking for a new computer to start editing my B Roll that I do for fun. I am on a tight budget of 700 dollars. The laptop I am eyeing right now is a HP Pavilion 14 and has the following specs: i5 -8265U@ 1.6-GHZ UHD 620 Graphics. 8 gb ram. Will this be enough to run Lightworks. I do not want to edit any 4k. I want to shoot in 60 fps and the file type is MOV. Thanks!!! Hope you have a good day!!

-Piyush K

Re: System Requirements. 3 months ago #218085

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Hello,

This machine is below the recommended specs, but you will be able to run Lightworks and edit with it.

Beside of the hardware, editing performance depends highly on the media formats used and the complexity of applied effects in the timeline.

Creating and using optimized media is best practice anyway to improve editing performance, even on high-end machines. Lightworks provides an internal proxy workflow which allows fluent editing also on low powered computers.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787

Just try and see how it works for you.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218105

• Piyush K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
So what effects will slow it down. The effect I will probably use are LUT or color grading, stabilizer and slow mo, thats pretty much it. Will this lag my computer? Also you do make a free version right? If you do what are the functionality/export limits and can I save it as a video file in Windows. BTW do you guys have all the feature in the free version I listed above.

Thanks for the quick response HUGLY

Piyush K

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218107

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
If video stabilisation is part of your requirements, Lightworks does not do that. Slomo functions by repeating frames, and so don't actually load the system down much at all, and colour grading is also pretty light in terms of what it needs to do.

The free version of Lightworks has the limitation that it will only export MPEG4/H.264. The maximum export resolution available is 1280x720p pixels, with the option to upload directly to Youtube if you need that.

You can see the comparison between the various versions at www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=213.
Last Edit: 2 months, 4 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218109

• Piyush K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
Yes video stabilization is a requirement. Is there any external software that can do this. Also if your software can do slomo can you do speed ramping. Gradually increasing or decreasing speed. If not, are there any external softwares that can do this.

Thanks for the quick response, be safe
Bye
Piyush K

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218118

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
No, Lightworks doesn't support speed ramps, it supports setting one speed per segment. A 'segment' is the region between two cuts and you can create multiple segment of the same clip by applying empty cuts.

When not recording at high frame rate, 120 fps or so, the operating range of speed ramps on existing frames is too narrow for nice looking results in most cases and, rendering artificial frames does need high computer power and the results look seldom good.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218173

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
_ and also Just because _ glance at these => Dell Refubs

www.dellrefurbished.com/computer-workstation

_thanx
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 160 GB - WD Velociraptor 10K RPM
Optical: DVDRW
Video: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 _ 768 MB
_Lightworks 14.5
Last Edit: 2 months, 2 weeks ago by edWD7.

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218174

• Piyush K
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
Cool thx

Re: System Requirements. 2 months, 4 weeks ago #218175

• edWD7
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 months, 4 weeks ago
_ you're more than welcome _
= Dell Precision T3500
Processor: 1x Xeon Quad Core @ 2.66 GHz