• Page:

TOPIC: Blackmagic audio output

Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217421

• prgarnett
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hi,
I have a blackmagic card which I use when editing to display the video. My question is whether I can direct the audio somewhere else. It would be great to have the video come out of the blackmagic card and the audio out of my audio interface for monitoring.

Is that possible?
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Lightworks 14 Pro

Re: Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217422

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello,

Maybe, if Lightworks supports your sound device.

To find out, on the project browser (the start screen), click on the cogs icon up right. Under 'Hardware.IO device', see if you can select your audio hardware.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217423

• prgarnett
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Well, there doesn't appear to be a way to pick the decklink card for video and then the audio interface for sound.

In linux at least you chose audio devices in the GlobalSettings.txt file but that doesn't seem to apply if I chose to use the decklink card in settings. The audio comes out of the decklink card.
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Lightworks 14 Pro

Re: Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217447

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
It should be possible, but I'm not in a position to try it at the moment. It certainly was with W7, which is the last time that I did it.

However, you will get timing differences. The Decklink card delays the processed audio to match the video. If you bypass that you're likely to find that you have sound leading pictures. It's possible to delay the sound in Lightworks to correct for the video delay when you have this problem, but it's fiddly and not a particularly reliable way to go.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217528

• prgarnett
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
hmm, perhaps it might be better to split the audio off the HDMI instead. To avoid the sync problems.
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Lightworks 14 Pro

Re: Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217546

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
do you use jack to connect your audio, or pulseaudio?

Re: Blackmagic audio output 3 months, 1 week ago #217551

• prgarnett
  • Edu User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I use pulseaudio but as soon as you choose the decklink card it ignores whatever audio settings are elsewhere (as far as I can tell anyway). Everything is routed through the decklink. Which makes sense normally, but it would be nice to be able to have the audio on my headphones and not the screen.

My intensity card doesn't allow the audio output to be something other than the hdmi output I don't think.

To be honest I am wondering if the intersity card is worth bothering with as I could setup the screen as a third monitor on the system using HDMI out of the GPU and then just point fullscreen output at it. Which would be essentially the same but I can control the audio better.
Ubuntu 18.04LTS
Lightworks 14 Pro
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top