Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219777

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
CarlyFieg wrote:
.. proxies, [..] is there even a way to control where they go)?

The proxies are stored in the media location managed by Lightworks (as shown in the video). This is the system drive in the default configuration.
If you have configured Multiple Media Locations, the proxies are stored in the media location where you imported the link files or copied or transcoded media (as shown in the video).
Lightworks provides options to exchange these files including proxies between the internal media locations at a later date.

Regarding performance, the system drive has advantages and disadvantages:

- Advantage: System drives are often fast SSD drives (unfortunately I don't have one yet).

- Disadvantage: The system drive often has to perform other tasks that can put additional load on the drive.
SSD drives have less storage space for the same cost. Concerning proxies this is probably less critical, because proxies can be easily deleted and rebuilt if necessary, or moved temporarily.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219780

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
CarlyFieg wrote:
Resolution: I use proxy clips for EVERYTHING, so is that about as much as you can do to minimize resolution as a performance issue?
Format: I'm using mp4. Is there a smarter choice?

mp4 has advantages and disadvantages regarding performance:

Advantage: Low data rate
Disadvantage: High CPU load etc. during decoding (depending on the medium, the system and the Lightworks version, the limit is often far below 100% CPU usage according to the task manager).
But with the free license you can only use mp4 proxies (H.264). The proxy dimensions and quality settings influence the decoding performance.

Apart from the hardware, there are other optimization options, depending on your system, project, and media.
For example:
- Transcoding (advantages and disadvantages)
- Optimize timeline for efficiency
- maybe Update Lightworks version?
- Reduce GPU load of effects (project settings, Lightworks version, Routing and efficiency optimized user effects)

If you are interested, perhaps a separate thread would be useful, looking at the details of your current hardware, media, and project etc. in detail?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 2 months ago by schrauber.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219783

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks again, everyone for such good information!

I don't have a project to work on right now, but very soon I will have another. What I am thinking is, now that I have all this information, I need to fully digest what everyone is saying. Then I can use the knowledge I have gained to guide me in how I set up the next project. I'll try some things out and see what the effect is.

There is nothing like actually trying some things and then observing how it works. Like I said before, I am heartened that perhaps an outlay of more money on a new computer is not necessary (and perhaps, might not even be helpful).

Once I get going on that project, if I have any questions, I will start a separate thread as you suggest, Schrauber!

Thank you all very much, once again!

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219805

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I missed your post with some direct question to me, sorry.

I don't know if you still need answers to those question, because you came to this conclusion:

CarlyFieg wrote:
I am heartened that perhaps an outlay of more money on a new computer is not necessary (and perhaps, might not even be helpful)
There are options to optimize performance on an existing system, mainly by using optimized media, e.g. internal proxies. However, investing money in more powerful computer components helps to increase performance and stability as well. Just, it's simple and cheap to decrease the load by the factor of 10 by using optimized media, but hard and expensive to increase computer performance by the same factor with hardware upgrades.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219810

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
I am interested to know what you think of mp4's. Have you found a different format to be a wiser choice?

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219813

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
If you're using the internal proxies with the free version your choice is limited to MP4.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219814

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
CarlyFieg wrote:
I am interested to know what you think of mp4's. Have you found a different format to be a wiser choice?

I think, the wisest approach these days is, staying with the original recording formats, as long as they are properly supported, and using proxies for internal editing and originals on export. That's exactly what the internal proxy workflow does.

The alternative is converting to I-frame based high-performance formats at full resolution. That's what the import method 'Transcode' does. The downside of this method is, you need much more drive space and very fast mass storage, because the files are very large compared with highly compressed MP4 and, each conversion step, depending on the format used, may imply degradation of quality.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219818

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thank you both so much! It is so good to know what is going on "under the hood," so I really appreciate the explanation.

I think I am good for now. Now I await my next project, and I'll try out a few things and learn for myself.

Again, big thanks!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds
Scroll To Top