Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing

What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 3 months, 3 weeks ago #216053

• Tigermoth
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Basically I am looking for the most basic system specs I would need for a new desktop computer to enable me to load and use Lightworks for basic editing of material to be shot on new Canon Legria 806 mainly for uploading to Utibe presentation to camera stuff and archiving personal home / holiday videos.

I am a 70 yo ' dinosaur' who successfully has used voice recognition software for many years and done basic editing and production using and old version of Studio 9 for of material from 20+ y.o Panasonic Camcorder.

My current PC is 11yo and has some Motherboard and related upgrading and tweeking , but I still use WindowsXP and will keep that system that way simply because it suits my limited but famiiar needs. I just like it that way!

This prospective increased video editing is simply new and seperate. Silly old Bugger aren't I !

Alan

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 3 months, 3 weeks ago #216054

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

Unfortunately, Lightworks won't run on your system, because XP isn't supported anymore.

If you should decide to upgrade your OS:

There isn't anything like "the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing", beside of 4 GB installed and 1.5 GB free, at least. Editing performance depends not only on the computer, but also on resolution and format of the used footage and the complexity of the timeline.

Just try and see. If performance appears to be poor, see how far the internal proxy workflow brings you:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=194770&Itemid=81#194787
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 3 months, 3 weeks ago #216055

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

You need to upgrade to Windows 10.

Although some users manage with a i3 CPU, I would look at a basic i5 gaming computer with at least 8GB of RAM. You can get refurbished machines from the manufacturers, which allow you to buy a higher spec machine with a guarantee for the same money as a new, less powerful machine.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 3 months, 3 weeks ago #216058

• Tigermoth
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Tigermoth wrote:
Basically I am looking for the most basic system specs I would need for a new desktop computer to enable me to load and use Lightworks for basic editing of material to be shot on new Canon Legria 806 mainly for uploading to Utibe presentation to camera stuff and archiving personal home / holiday videos.

I am a 70 yo ' dinosaur' who successfully has used voice recognition software for many years and done basic editing and production using and old version of Studio 9 for of material from 20+ y.o Panasonic Camcorder.

My current PC is 11yo and has some Motherboard and related upgrading and tweeking , but I still use WindowsXP and will keep that system that way simply because it suits my limited but famiiar needs. I just like it that way!

This prospective increased video editing is simply new and seperate. Silly old Bugger aren't I !

Alan

Thanks for the 2 very prompt replies. In relation to the second, I need to make clear that I am well aware that XP is not adequate for Lightworks OR PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING ELSE, it is just that it has suited me not familiarise with Windows 10 or anything else whilst I have gotten by with it for what I do on my outdated desk top as it is.

I accept that I shall need a new computer AND Operating System.
The local guy who looks after me thought for example that I might need an i7 and the 8 gig of ram, but "Briandrys" suggestion that i5 should do the trick with Windows 10 of course, is very helpful.

Alan

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 3 months, 3 weeks ago #216060

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
A number of users manage with an i5 processor, this can be assisted with the Lightworks internal proxy editing, especially if you're not involved with doing heavy duty editing. Although, be aware that highly compressed video formats are demanding on computing power.

Here's what recommended, although these days at least 8GB RAM would make sense.

Recommended System Specs

Intel i7 chipset or faster, fast AMD chipset
3GB RAM or higher
Two high-resolution displays (1920 x1080) or above
PCI Express graphics card (NVIDIA or AMD) with 1GB or higher and support for DirectX 9 (Windows only)
Separate media and system drives (these can be internal or external as long as the the interface is suitably fast
Compatible sound card
200MB Disk space for Lightworks installation
(Optional) a Lightworks Console.
(Optional) a Lightworks keyboard.

Last Edit: 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219739

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
(This is the second time I replied to this, but I believe it did not successfully post. My apologies if this is a duplicate.)

So, as far as disk drives go, you are saying two separate drives are important, but you don't mention anything about having SSDs. I'm sure SSDs would improve things, but, are you saying that, once you have the two reasonably fast conventional hard drives, that the marginal improvement of SSDs beyond that is not significant?

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219742

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Having a SSD as your C drive will help, then using a 7200 rpm hard drive as your media drive would be a suitable arrangement. Media files can get pretty large, so costs will become a factor when you start adding external drives into the equation.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219746

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks...

How do you designate the media drive? Or, is it as simple as just putting your ORIGINAL media (the location of the media when you import it to Lightworks) on the separate drive?

Or are you talking about some setting within Lightworks...where lightworks puts its working media after it is once imported?

If it's the former, then I know how to do that. No need for a response.

If it's the latter, how do you designate this location within Lightworks? (I never know precisely what other posters and tutorial videos are saying. That's why I'm asking as a direct question. Thanks for your help!)

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219748

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
If you store your media on an external drive, when you link to it Lightworks will then know where it's located. It's better that you have a suitable filing system of folders etc in place before you start importing into Lightworks, otherwise you can get yourself into media off line messages if you change things around afterwards.

Lightworks will use that location as the media location during editing, unless you transcode it when importing.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219750

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Sweet! OK, that's pretty simple!

Thanks much!

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219751

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
CarlyFieg wrote:
.. Or, is it as simple as just putting your ORIGINAL media (the location of the media when you import it to Lightworks) on the separate drive?

Or are you talking about some setting within Lightworks...where lightworks puts its working media after it is once imported?

This depends on the import method you choose, your project settings, whether you use proxy files.
This old tutorial shows how Lightworks manages media, and how the user can customize it to his own needs:

At the time of creation of this tutorial Lightworks was not yet able to create proxies, so proxies are not mentioned.

If you are working with the default settings, and import e.g. mp4 files using the standard "Create Link" method, the speed of the drives for playback in the timeline is rarely a problem, because the data rate of MP4 files is usually much lower than the data rate of even mechanical drives. However, CPU performance can be critical with MP4 files because decoding requires a lot of calculations.

But fast drives have advantages if:

- Many media must be loaded at the same time (multi-screen effects, Multicam bin, many thumbnails in the project content or timeline, etc.)

- Video formats with higher data rates are used

External hard disk drives often have the problem of going into power saving mode, which can be very annoying during video editing. I use a small program that keeps my drives awake.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219755

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
WOW! Hugely helpful! Thanks so much! I don't think I EVER would have been able to find that video on my own. And like you say, it's V12, so if it ever showed up in a Google search, I probably would not have taken the time to look at it.

I need to watch it a couple more times to fully grasp everything. But, for now, I have a few questions:

1. Proxies: I have used them to great advantage already, and they have already been a lifesaver. So, when you create proxies, does it matter, performance-wise, where those proxies go (or is there even a way to control where they go)? That is, does it affect performance whether the proxy files go on the system drive or the external drive?

2. External drives vs. separate partitions: When you separate your data from the system drive, I assume the performance improvement is achieved ONLY if the separate data drive really is a PHYSICALLY separate data drive, correct? In other words, performance would NOT be improved by making your data drive a separate partition on the same physical hard drive as your system partition, correct?

3. Since we are talking about performance considerations, I am surprised that the comments seem to indicate that a separate USB data drive provides a significant performance improvement. Is that true, or am I misunderstanding? If a USB drive does improve performance, I'm surprised. I would think that, to get better performance, one would need to have two separate hard drives connected directly to the system bus (I hope my terminology is correct here...), rather than having the system drive connected to the system bus and the media drive connected by USB. (The reason I'm asking is that, if I can get all the performance improvement by using a USB data drive, then that is MUCH cheaper than going out and buying a computer that has two hard drives.)

And, as I said, I have to review everything else a lot more to fully digest all the useful information you are providing!

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219757

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
The thing to remember is that the hard drives storing the video tend to wear out with the usage.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219758

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Mass storage is only one part of performance and it's by no means the most significant.

As with everything related to performance of video editing, you cannot discuss suitable mass storage devices and their organisation isolated from the media formats used. At a given average project size, specified as overall duration of all imported clips, together with the timeline layout (read: how many tracks play simultaneously), resolution and format of the media specify the demands in terms of size and transfer speed. And the differences are significant.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: What would be the LEAST systems specs for very basic editing 2 months ago #219762

• CarlyFieg
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Makes TOTAL sense, Hugly. I had pretty short, but a lot of simultaneous clips (10, or maybe 11 at some points), and it brought the system to its knees. I also used a lot of 2D DVEs.) Lightworks crashed so much I was wondering if I could even get the project done (but I did)!

Obviously, if you say that spending more money on beefier hardware pales in comparison to media format issues, I'm all ears! (That would mean throwing money at it is would not necessary be beneficial.)

So, if the duration of the imported clips is short (less than a minute), but maybe as many as 10 tracks play simultaneously, what management decisions are smart, to keep the system from crashing?

Resolution: I use proxy clips for EVERYTHING, so is that about as much as you can do to minimize resolution as a performance issue?
Format: I'm using mp4. Is there a smarter choice?

Picking up on something you said earlier...I understand that I could get a beefier CPU, and maybe that's what I really need. (But I think it's more than that, because, as I was monitoring the Task Manager while I was working, it frequently looked like the disk was maxed out much more often than the CPU.) Perhaps just spending more money on a faster CPU is the smart thing to do?

I REALLY appreciate your thoughts!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds
Scroll To Top