Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: re-install of windows 10

re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215855

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi. I hope someone can confirm if what I am planning will work. I recently had a Windows 10 update that seems to have corrupted my hard drive, so I can no longer boot windows. I am have installed my disk drive in another working machine and I am coping off all my data. All my video footage is on another unaffected disk, but I am in the middle of editing a film that has had 100 plus hour of work in it!!!

I hope to copy all the data held under my "Windows USER" folder. I believe this should include all the LTWKS project info. I will then have to reinstall windows and reinstall LTWS (which I notice is now 14.5 - I have version 14) If I then restore the saved data and launch LTWKS will I see all my projects just where I left them?

I know that the best way to save projects is to export them via LTWKS but that is not an option to me.

I am sure I am not the first person to experience this problem.

Shaun

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215859

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hello,

With default settings your plan should work.

By default Lightworks stores all project metadata and related assets in
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks
If you've manipulated this location via hard links on OS level, your plan might fail, depending on where the hard links point to.

If you have moved or added internal media locations from 'Project.Media.Locations', you have to move all customized locations to a safe place.

Please note: If your drive is damaged, parts of the content of the User folder might also be damaged.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215864

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi Hugly

Thanks for your quick response. I am now more hopeful that I may save my work. I have not made any changes to how or where the data is stored so it's all LTWKs default setup. As far as damage is concerned, I think that only the boot data on my disk is damaged but I have been unable to fix it despite a number of efforts. Once I have secured all the data I need onto this machine I may try some more agreesive fixes (reformatiing partitions) before finally giving in and doing a complete Win 10 install. The whole process will take a significant amount of time, but not as much a re-doing all the editing work again.

Whilst this may be even more work I am considering upgrading LTWKs on this machine which I no longer normally use so it still has v12 on it, and then copying C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks from my saved data to this machine's version and then seeing if I can access the projects. If I can I could then possibly temporily install the disk with my media onto this PC and try to see if I can access that too. If this all works I will be confident reformatting my orig C: drive.

I will post how I get on.

Thanks again Shaun

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215866

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Since this isn't a bug, I'm going to move this thread into Installation / Drivers / Hardware / OS

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215867

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Shaunyman wrote:
Whilst this may be even more work I am considering upgrading LTWKs on this machine which I no longer normally use so it still has v12 on it, and then copying C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks from my saved data to this machine's version and then seeing if I can access the projects. If I can I could then possibly temporily install the disk with my media onto this PC and try to see if I can access that too. If this all works I will be confident reformatting my orig C: drive.

What you should not do is accessing projects created with a later version of Lightworks with V12. To stay on the safe side, use the version you're currently running on the damaged machine also on the second system.

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215871

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi Again

It did not take as long as I was expecting to secure my data.

I have updated LTWKs for v14.5 on this test machine. I have copied all the projects from my saved projects folder to the new C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightwork\project When I launch LTWKs I can now see all my projects - media is obviousy offline. I will later try installing my media disk on this machine with the correct drive letter and then hopefully I will be able to access the media.

My question is should I be copying any other data from the old C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks? I notice for example in the Media folder of the new install there are lots of files starting V0030 whereas in my older folder there are lots of files starting V0050 and V0051 I have no idea what these are (as I cannot open them ouside LTWKs) and no idea if they will be needed. Similarly what about other subfolders like preferences etc?

Thanks for your help - Shaun

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215872

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi (edit to previous post) I have realised that the V0030 and V0050 files must be related to my projects as the project names begin G0030 and G0050 respectively.

Shaun

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215873

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Every file and folder in the 'Lightworks' folder structure has its function, including the files in the subfolders of 'Media', more or less important, but created for some purpose. Please consider the 'Lightworks' folder to be a closed box, an entity which shouldn't be manipulated on OS level other than moving it from one system to another. Merging Lightworks folders from two different systems may lead to name collision and thus data corruption. It can work, if there are no duplicate names, but trying to do so requires backups on a safe place.
Last Edit: 3 months, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215874

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
The video below tells only a part of the metadata story, but it explains in detail how the Lightworks media space can be managed.

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215876

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi Hugly

That is a really useful tutorial. I have not seen that before, but I have watched many done by the same guy - they are alway excellent!

Clearly when I reinstall LTWKs on my new win 10 installation, I will need to add all my saved projects to the projects folder and all my links to the media folder to access my projects. (I always inport links only). And now if I have any difficulty seeing the media I undertand how the links work.

Thanks again for your help. I hope my next post will just be to thank you and confirm that everything is working - might be a day or two. --- Shaun

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215877

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Shaunyman wrote:
Clearly when I reinstall LTWKs on my new win 10 installation, I will need to add all my saved projects to the projects folder and all my links to the media folder to access my projects.

Just to clarify: That isn't what I said. DO NOT copy anything manually into the Lightworks folder, unless you know exactly what you're doing. Use the available tools in Lightworks to make backups of projects and to restore them.

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215881

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi

I DO realise that isn't what you said, but nevertheless it is my only option, and the tutorial has helped me understand how it works. Once I reinstall LTWKs on a clean Win 10, I need to copy the projects and links into the folder as I have no other way to access them. I dont have any way to use the tool to export them.

The worst that happen is LTWKs doesn't work and have to re-install it again. I have worked in IT all my life, I do understand the priciples of what I am doing, so hopefully I won't do anything stupid. I accept that I am not acting on your advice and I take full reponsibiity for my actions, but since I have already been able to access my projects via this method on this second machine, I am not quite confident of success. (Famous last words eh?)

Shaun

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215882

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Appologies for the typo that shoold have said "I am now quuite confident of success".

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215883

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Fingers crossed..

Re: re-install of windows 10 3 months, 3 weeks ago #215933

• Shaunyman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 3 weeks ago
Hi hugly

Last night I re-installed windows 10 and installed Lightwork V14.5. Today I have migrated all the projects and media links and wow!, it's all working fine. I can see all my projects and I can see all my media. It's such a relief!

I am very grateful for your help. Whilst I know you had your concerns about the strategy, I still could not have done it without the information you were able to provide. I hope that in the future someone else facing this same problem may be helped by reading this topic.

Thanks once again - Shaun
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top