Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Installation fails on Windows 10

Installation fails on Windows 10 4 months ago #215283

I have tried installing both the 64 bit and the 32 bit versions, with different downloads of each and I keep getting an error :-

Can't write: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Images\bg-1024x768.png

It repeats this for several other .png files, and if you ignore all the .png errors I then get later on :-

Can't write: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Preferences\Contour Shuttle (Mac OSX).prefs

At this point I abort as it goes on to miss loads of other files.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 4 months ago #215305

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Hello,

That sounds like something on your computer is blocking write access. Some possible causes are wrong access permissions, anti virus software, or simply insufficient drive space.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months ago by hugly.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216718

• C0lins
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
I have the same problem.

Seems like Controlled Folder Access has blocked Lightworks from making a change to a Controlled Folder as part of the installation process.

When encountering this problem with other installs the folder is stated in the Notification area (bottom right), but nothing on this occasion.

Nothing shown in Controlled Folder Access > Block History

Without knowing which folder is blocking access I'm not sure how I can allow access manually...

File Name is given in the onscreen installation error so easy to know what to allow access for...

I'm hoping the Lightworks Gurus will pick up on this and confirm which Windows10 folders require access to complete installation.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 2 weeks ago #216725

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I'm not sure if you have a problem with 'Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access'. Under normal circumstances there's no need to configure it.

What error message do you see?

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217041

• nvmroom
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Facing the same problem and looking for a quick fix soon.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217043

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Welcome to the forum.

Have you read the solutions mentioned above?

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217059

• LJHLight
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Definitely Firewall/Anti-Virus. I use Bitdefender Internet and had exactly the same problem as above. Bitdefender had to authorise access to the following protected folder:

"Protected folder:C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Images"

Now works fine.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217060

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
LJHLight wrote:
I use Bitdefender Internet and had exactly the same problem as above. Bitdefender had to authorise access to the following protected folder:

"Protected folder:C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Images"

Now works fine.

Hello,

By default, on Windows, the folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks" is the location where Lightworks stores all project data, settings and media, except of linked media.
Please make sure to grant full access for 'lightworks.exe' and 'ntcardvt.exe' to this folder and all its sub folders.

As a matter of interest, do you know why Bitdefender blocks a sub folder of "C:\Users\Public\Documents" selectively?
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217062

• LJHLight
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
You'd need access to the coding to understand that Hugly. What I can say is that Bitdefender has always had Ransomware protection high on its agenda. So one can assume that any folder which may contain personal details, as against pure coding, will have access resrictions applied. In it's defence, it tells you that xyz has tried to access a given folder and asks if you want to allow or not.

I'm using the Pro version of Lightworks 14.5 by the way and have pointed the local project folder to another drive.

I assume Lightworks 2020 will be a free upgrade in this instance. Can you confirm ?

My main NLE is BM Davinci Resolve 16 Studio but I'd like to understand LWs better.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217063

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank you for the explanation.

I can confirm that it has been announced that the next release, "2020.1" (based on the current beta), will be included in the V14 license. It's likely that its successor, whatever it may be called, e.g. "2020.2" or "2021", will need a new Year/Month or an upgrade to an existing Outright license.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217089

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
It's likely that its successor, whatever it may be called, e.g. "2020.2" or "2021", will need a new Year/Month or an upgrade to an existing Outright license.

I would think that's highly unlikely. I have never had to resubscribe because of a major version number update. That restriction only applies to major version upgrades with permanent licences, which will usually will require an upgrade fee to be paid.

If the next version is 2020.2 I would expect it to be treated as a minor version number upgrade, and be free to subscribers and permanent licence holders alike.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217093

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
FWIW

That the information I'm referring to.

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=42&id=208754&Itemid=81#208830

V15 has been announced as successor of V14.5 officially here:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=191263&Itemid=81#19126

However, since the time schedule is obviously off the tracks severely, everything can happen. In this sense, forecasting the future of Lightworks, without official confirmation, is fishing in muddy waters.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217100

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:

In that thread which is largely speculation I said the following.

jwrl wrote:
og1char wrote:
The Black Friday deals look good but what happens when the new version comes of out Beta and is released as a new version? Will the deals/licences apply to the new version?

Given the closeness of the 2020 release, I would be extremely surprised if some allowance wasn't made for people who had bought a permanent licence just prior to the release of a new version.

That comment was made before it was clarified that 2020 was to be treated as an extension of 14.5. The emphasis of "permanent licence" in that quote has been added to make the point.

Matt's comment in the second link while it relates to the version 14 - version 15 progression doesn't contradict what has been said here. Neither of those links really add to this. Like the first link, this thread is largely speculation. But saying that subscription users would need a new subscription with the next major upgrade isn't speculation, it's false. That has never been the case and is unlikely to be the case now.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217101

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
The next release will be 2020.1 (dot one), formerly V14.6. It's successor was first announced as V15, but it might be called 2020.2 (dot two) or 2021.

Do I understand correctly that you suggest that this successor will be part of the V14 major release series and thus usable as Pro version with a V14 license?

Re: Installation fails on Windows 10 3 months, 1 week ago #217104

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I did not suggest anything of the sort. Neither you nor I have any way of knowing what the next version after 2020.1 will be. But you said that a user progressing to a new version "will need a new Year/Month" subscription. That's untrue, and will mislead users reading that. It isn't the case now, and it never has been since the subscription scheme was introduced.

It is a correction to your post that needed to be made, because in saying that you are misleading current and potential subscribers.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by jwrl.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top