Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it

Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 13 hours ago #209004

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
I upgraded from Lightworks free to pro today. Activation worked, then I installed Boris FX and Graffiti while Lightworks was open. It crashed when I tried to export a sequence, and now it is not possible to open Lightworks, it crashes every time after about a second. I see the "Black Friday: Grab an outright bargain" window and then Lightworks disappears. Not a good bargain IMHO...

(Windows 10 Laptop: Schenker W507 mobile Workstation with i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe, 1x 1000GB WD Blue, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5,  Kaspersky Internet Security)

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 13 hours ago #209005

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 13 hours ago
Hello,

I cannot say if this could be related to the installation of Boris with Lightworks running, because I've never tried it that way. If it is, restarting your computer, installing the Boris software one by one, and afterwards Lightworks again, might fix the problem.

If it doesn't, could you zip and post the entire content of the Logs folder, please?
C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Logs
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 6 days, 13 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 12 hours ago #209013

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 12 hours ago
Is there a special procedure to install Lightworks again, should I deinstall it first?

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 12 hours ago #209014

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 12 hours ago
No, just install it without touching the destination folder. This way it will overwrite the existing installation. Please note: Restarting the computer prior to installing anything is mandatory to unlock possibly locked files.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 11 hours ago #209016

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 11 hours ago
Unfortunately it still crashes. I've attached the content of the logs folder.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 11 hours ago #209017

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 6 days, 11 hours ago
This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 6 days, 11 hours ago #209019

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 6 days, 11 hours ago
Thanks.

As far as I can see, the log shows that the Boris plugins are registered as expected, but there seems to be trouble with your audio device(s).

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 5 days, 3 hours ago #209080

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 5 days, 3 hours ago
What should I do now? I'm not aware that anything has changed with my audio devices in the last 3 days since I upgraded from free to pro. Changing the active audio device doesn't help, lightworks crashes regardless which audio device is active.

I looked at the "help - contact us" section and I understand that I will not get technical support from the Lightworks support team unless I have a 2495 € site support plan?!?
Last Edit: 5 days, 3 hours ago by p8guitar.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 5 days, 3 hours ago #209082

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 3 hours ago
Since the Pro and the free version is binary identical software, it's very unlikely that activating the pro features causes this problem.

What I would do in first place, if I had your problem, I would unplug all external devices connected via USB, configure the internal audio system as default, restart the computer and see what happens.

This is a user forum, if you wish contacting Editshare directly, you can use the form Report a problem
Last Edit: 5 days, 3 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 4 days, 17 hours ago #209096

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 days, 17 hours ago
I tried what you suggested, and I deinstalled Boris fx and graffiti, and I tried everything that is described in the faq regarding "Lightworks fails to start, what can I do?", but it still crashes. I will write editshare about the problem.

Where did you find the report a problem form? I don't see it in the help section.

Thank you very much for your support!
Last Edit: 4 days, 16 hours ago by p8guitar.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 4 days, 14 hours ago #209097

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 14 hours ago
During a new installation, the folder C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks, which contains your projects, settings, user effects, license files etc., will not be replaced. Because the folder contains very important files, a backup on another drive would be useful.
In some cases it happened that a damaged file in this folder crashes Lightworks (especially in the subfolder "Effect Templates"). Do not confuse with the installation folder of the same name.
I don't see a hint in your error-log, but if you want to experiment anyway:

When you close Lightworks,
then rename the folder `C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates` (please don't delete it),
a new folder will be created the next time you start Lightworks (without user effects, without effect templates). The prerequisite is of course that Lightworks does not crash beforehand. Whether Boris effects have anything to do with this folder is unknown to me.

If Lightworks still crashes then you can rename the parent Lightworks folder C: \ Users \ Public \ Documents \ Lightworks (for testing only). Lightworks usually creates a new folder structure under the default names the next time it is started.
Warning, this new folder structure does not contain projects, etc., nor your old license files. As a free user I can log in normally, which automatically creates new license files. I can't say if it works that easy with the Pro license.

Normally you should see an empty project browser after logging in. If Lightworks does not crash, then you should test in detail what is broken in the original folder or subfolder.
If Lightworks still crashes, then the problem should be searched elsewhere.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 14.6 Beta & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 4 days, 14 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 4 days, 13 hours ago #209100

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 13 hours ago
I haven't seen such an error.log at all, so far. Have you ever seen such logged errors in conjunction with corrupted effects or projects?

On the other hand, you are right, any known procedure to exclude other causes than hardware/drivers should be tried, because if it's hardware, I'm not sure if Editshare can help.
Last Edit: 4 days, 13 hours ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 4 days, 12 hours ago #209104

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 days, 12 hours ago
Renaming the effect templates folder didn't help.
When I rename the \Documents\Lightworks folder, I can open Lightworks, but only once. When I close it and open again, it crashes. Then it crashes every time. Weird...
I think removing the projects was a good idea, because a corrupted project could have been the cause of the crashes in my opinion. But this proves that the cause is somewhere else.
Last Edit: 4 days, 12 hours ago by p8guitar.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 4 days, 11 hours ago #209106

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 11 hours ago
Another one, if you are familiar with regedit.exe: Restart your computer and with Lightworks shut down, remove the newly created folder \Documents\Lightworks from \Documents, with regedit.exe navigate to ' HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Lightworks ' and rename the key to '\Lightworks.ORG' or something similar. Restart Lightworks and see what happens.

Re: Lightworks pro crashes every time I try to open it 3 days, 10 hours ago #209163

• p8guitar
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 days, 10 hours ago
I think I found the culprit. I have a Bluetooth midi device, the Genki Instruments “Wave” midi controller. When I disable Bluetooth in the Windows settings, there are no problems!
Lightworks Support told me that Lightworks uses MIDI for the Mackie Pro audio mixer, which is an enabled feature with the Lightworks Pro license, therefore I'm only seeing this issue with the Lightworks Pro license and not the Lightworks Free license.

Midi is not mentioned in the manual at all, and there is no way to disable the Wave controller in lightworks, so I'll have to remember to keep Bluetooth disabled when I work with Lightworks.

Wew, this was tricky... thanks again for you help, hugly and schrauber
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top