Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thinking of buying new computer, questions about compatibility

Thinking of buying new computer, questions about compatibility 2 weeks, 4 days ago #204300

• LionAliveLPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Hi, I am looking to buy a new computer, iBUYPOWER Gaming Desktop (model BB961).

It has:

Intel Core i5-9400-F
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 (I believe this card supports DirectX 12)

The computer also has 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, and 120 GB SSD.

Would this set up work with Lightworks? I am interested in creating short videos for YouTube by incorporating clips of small characters, voice overs, and music.

Thanks so much!

Re: Thinking of buying new computer, questions about compatibility 2 weeks, 4 days ago #204303

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Hello,

Lightworks will run on this machine. However, with any computer, editing performance depends on format and resolution of the media used and the patience of the user when waiting for operations like proxy creation and export to finish.

Personally, for a desktop, I would build around the GTX 1660 something like this for editing:
i7-8700 6x3.20GHz | 16GB DDR4 | GTX 1660 | 240GB SSD + 2x2TB HDD(or more)
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by hugly.

Re: Thinking of buying new computer, questions about compatibility 2 weeks, 4 days ago #204304

• LionAliveLPS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Thank you so much for such a quick reply!

I will see what I can do. I have a budget and patience, so I may need to upgrade as I go along!

Re: Thinking of buying new computer, questions about compatibility 2 weeks, 4 days ago #204308

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
LionAliveLPS wrote:
I have a budget and patience, so I may need to upgrade as I go along!
The most expensive seems to be your graphics card?
If you're thinking about upgrading later, would upgrading your graphics card be the easiest option? Then there's more room for a stronger CPU and more RAM. (At the moment, I use a weaker, 5-year-old i5 CPU. )

At the moment Lightworks mainly uses the performance of the graphics card for effects. Personally, I don't use an external graphics card at all, only the GPU already built into many Intel processors. Performance in effects processing is limited, but that depends on the effects used and the format project settings in Lightworks. The UHD 630 graphics contained in newer Intel processors is better than mine, but of course far removed from the GTX 1660 in shader performance.
What are your current computer specifications?

EDIT: If you need the computer for games, then of course it's different.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds
Scroll To Top