• Page:

TOPIC: new pc coming up which System specs

new pc coming up which System specs 4 days, 9 hours ago #201576

• Kermit2004
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 days, 9 hours ago
Dear all,
I am planning to update to a new PC - since I'm not familiar with hardware I asked a friend to set me up with some specs and here is what he came up with - however I'm not sure wether this is any good or not (I guess he is more of the gamer type )
I'm looking for a PC for video editing obviously, other than that I am into music editing (Reaper, supercollider, synths, etc) and photo editing. I am an ambitious amateur and not a professional and I am not a gamer!

- 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S500BW)
- Intel Core i7 9700K 8x 3.60GHz So.1151 WOF
- MSI Z370-A PRO Intel Z370 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail
- be quiet! Silent Loop 240 Komplett-Wasserkühlung (water-cooling)
- 8GB MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
- Corsair Carbide 100RMidi Tower
- 650 Watt Corsair TX-M Series TX650M Modular 80+ Gold
- LG Electronics BH16NS55 Blu-ray Combo SATA intern schwarz Retail
- 16GB G.Skill Trident Z silber/rot DDR4-3000 DIMM CL14 Dual Kit
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Deutsch DSP/SB

I guess I would at least need a second sdd and I am not sure about the graphics card.

So what do you say? Is this sufficient? Any other ideas? Know anybody who could set me up with a decent system in southern Germany?

Thanks for any hints and remarks
Kermit
Last Edit: 4 days, 9 hours ago by Kermit2004. Reason: typos

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 4 days, 7 hours ago #201577

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 7 hours ago
I'm not an expert, but if you use at least one external hard drive, Lightworks will certainly work well with this PC.
The question is whether the price is important to you.

Water cooling, and the overclockable processor type ... "K" are certainly important for some games. Although Lightworks also benefits from this, would that be a bit exaggerated?

... I am not sure about the graphics card.

Just as a side note, the processor Intel® Core™ i7-9700K in your list already contains a GPU that is better than the one I'm using. Using a compatible motherboard with HDMI output, Lightworks would even work without a graphics card (depending on the used effects and the project setting). There were also cases where proxy creation was faster with the internal GPU, probably because of faster data transfer between CPU and GPU. However, good separate graphics cards offer much better effect processing performance.

When using a graphics card, it might be worth considering minimizing the purchase of unused technical components? CPU without GPU, motherboard without video outputs. But I don't know the pricing.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 4 days, 7 hours ago by schrauber.

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 4 days, 7 hours ago #201578

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 days, 7 hours ago
Kermit2004 wrote:
I'm looking for a PC for video editing obviously, other than that I am into music editing (Reaper, supercollider, synths, etc) and photo editing. I am an ambitious amateur and not a professional and I am not a gamer!
You said it, the configuration shows a typical high-end gaming machine.

Is this sufficient?
Difficult to say without knowing your goals?

Personally, I wouldn't use overclocked equipment and watercooling for an editing machine - high power consumption, too hot, too loud - and I prefer motherboards with as many PCI lanes and external connectors as I can get and much more internal mass storage. However, I made the failure purchasing recently an AMD 12-core CPU which doesn't perform well with Lightworks and I still don't know exactly why.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 days, 7 hours ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top