• Page:

TOPIC: new pc coming up which System specs

new pc coming up which System specs 3 months ago #201576

• Kermit2004
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Dear all,
I am planning to update to a new PC - since I'm not familiar with hardware I asked a friend to set me up with some specs and here is what he came up with - however I'm not sure wether this is any good or not (I guess he is more of the gamer type )
I'm looking for a PC for video editing obviously, other than that I am into music editing (Reaper, supercollider, synths, etc) and photo editing. I am an ambitious amateur and not a professional and I am not a gamer!

- 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S500BW)
- Intel Core i7 9700K 8x 3.60GHz So.1151 WOF
- MSI Z370-A PRO Intel Z370 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX Retail
- be quiet! Silent Loop 240 Komplett-Wasserkühlung (water-cooling)
- 8GB MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
- Corsair Carbide 100RMidi Tower
- 650 Watt Corsair TX-M Series TX650M Modular 80+ Gold
- LG Electronics BH16NS55 Blu-ray Combo SATA intern schwarz Retail
- 16GB G.Skill Trident Z silber/rot DDR4-3000 DIMM CL14 Dual Kit
- Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit Deutsch DSP/SB

I guess I would at least need a second sdd and I am not sure about the graphics card.

So what do you say? Is this sufficient? Any other ideas? Know anybody who could set me up with a decent system in southern Germany?

Thanks for any hints and remarks
Kermit
Last Edit: 3 months ago by Kermit2004. Reason: typos

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 3 months ago #201577

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
I'm not an expert, but if you use at least one external hard drive, Lightworks will certainly work well with this PC.
The question is whether the price is important to you.

Water cooling, and the overclockable processor type ... "K" are certainly important for some games. Although Lightworks also benefits from this, would that be a bit exaggerated?

... I am not sure about the graphics card.

Just as a side note, the processor Intel® Core™ i7-9700K in your list already contains a GPU that is better than the one I'm using. Using a compatible motherboard with HDMI output, Lightworks would even work without a graphics card (depending on the used effects and the project setting). There were also cases where proxy creation was faster with the internal GPU, probably because of faster data transfer between CPU and GPU. However, good separate graphics cards offer much better effect processing performance.

When using a graphics card, it might be worth considering minimizing the purchase of unused technical components? CPU without GPU, motherboard without video outputs. But I don't know the pricing.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 3 months ago by schrauber.

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 3 months ago #201578

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months ago
Kermit2004 wrote:
I'm looking for a PC for video editing obviously, other than that I am into music editing (Reaper, supercollider, synths, etc) and photo editing. I am an ambitious amateur and not a professional and I am not a gamer!
You said it, the configuration shows a typical high-end gaming machine.

Is this sufficient?
Difficult to say without knowing your goals?

Personally, I wouldn't use overclocked equipment and watercooling for an editing machine - high power consumption, too hot, too loud - and I prefer motherboards with as many PCI lanes and external connectors as I can get and much more internal mass storage. However, I made the failure purchasing recently an AMD 12-core CPU which doesn't perform well with Lightworks and I still don't know exactly why.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 2 months ago #203081

• Kermit2004
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Ok,
just saw an offer from a local dealer which for me seems ok, but like I said before, I not so much into hardware so I would really appreciate it if one of you could look over the specs and let me know what you think:

Lenovo Ideacentre 510-15ICB 90HU006SGE
Intel® Core™ i7 8700
6x 3,20 GHz (up to 4,60 GHz)
L3 Cache 12 MB
Intel® Turbo-Boost-Technik 2.0
air cooling
16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
--
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti
4096 MB
GDDR5
DirectX 12
--
512 GB SSD
1000 GB HDD
S-ATA 6.0 GB/s
HDD speed 7200rpm
--
Sound onboard
--
7 in 1 cardreader
2x USB2
5x USB3.1
--
Win 10 Home 64 bit (but I guess I could change that)

So what do y'all think? Price is a bit over 1.000.- € at the moment (but I'm not sure how long the offer will last - regular price is at 1.300.-€)

Thanks
Kermit

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 2 months ago #203085

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hello again,

For a price a bit over 1.000.- €, I would buy it. Win Pro exposes some additional settings to the user, but whether you need that or not is a matter of taste. It should have no impact to editing abilities of Lightworks. On the long run you will most likely see that 1 TB isn't enough, but mass storage isn't that expensive and expandable. I worked with a GTX 1050 TI several years and was happy with, but I don't use many effects.

Be aware: Even with this machine, you will have to use internal proxies to edit 4K footage fluently (unless you use industry standard intermediate formats), maybe even for highly compressed MP4 1080p60 with high bitrates , as I have to do with my 12 core Threadripper, but powerful processors, like the hexacore you show, speed up proxy creation significantly.

Re: new pc coming up which System specs 2 months ago #203140

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Generically, I would suggest as much CPU, GPU, memory, and hard drive as you can afford.

Remember that you'll probably be using this computer for 2-5 years, and by the end of its life many things will have changed.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

ssd and hdd - where to store what 1 month, 4 weeks ago #203457

• Kermit2004
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 4 weeks ago
First of all thanks for the time you spend and the feedback. So I decided for a system now with a 1 TB SSD and 2 TB HDD with an Intel i7 8700 6 x3,2 GHz 16 GB DDR4 RAM and a NVIDIA GTX 1060 with 6GB
It's first time for me with a SSD and now I am wondering which is better: to have OS and all programms on the SSD and videos, photos, music, etc. on the HDD or vice versa?
Or to have the OS and programms on the SSD and the media I use for a lightworks project also on the SSD for the time I work on the project. Does it actually matter with a SSD if program and media are on the same disk?
How do you handle this?
Thanks and best
Kermit

Re: ssd and hdd - where to store what 1 month, 4 weeks ago #203459

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 4 weeks ago
The SSD as system drive, including the program folders, will bring the highest boost in performance, with any operating systems, but in particular with Windows.

Where to place the media you're currently working on depends on the format and the bitrate of the media, and the speed of your HDD. With a 7200 RPM hard drive and HD material usually it isn't necessary to move the media to SSD.
Last Edit: 1 month, 4 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: ssd and hdd - where to store what 1 month, 4 weeks ago #203464

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 4 weeks ago
I would place the OS & programs on the SSD and then use a very large fast hard drive for media and storage. You can then get another very large, but slower & cheaper hard drive for backup.

Hard drives, and SSDs, are larger and cheaper than they've ever been. In the future, they will only get larger and cheaper.

If your new computer has thunderbolt or USB C, you can use that to connect to a wide variety of external hard drives that will be large enough and fast enough for most casual video work, even with some 4k.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: ssd and hdd - where to store what 1 month, 3 weeks ago #203555

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I have an "old" i7 with my OS and projects on an SSD and media on HDDs. and very happy with it.

"If your new computer has thunderbolt or USB C, you can use that to connect to a wide variety of external hard drives that will be large enough and fast enough for most casual video work, even with some 4k."

I just did that and it works great with lightworks.

for "future proofing" it is good to have some spare pcie slots for whatever kind of input/output standards are coming up in the next years.

I just recently kept my 2012 workstation (intel i5, usb2,... ) up to date by upgrading the cpu to an i7 and adding a USB-C USB 3.1 pcie card so I can edit directly from an external HDD.

So I would say the inital specs are important but keep an eye on the Motherboard: get something that leaves you space to upgrade RAM, CPU, I/O connections in the future.. this will save you a lot of money on the long run.

this is very subjective, but for me as i work long hours and work mostly on sound I need a quiet--> silent computer. That is my most important spec and also when i do not work on sound a silent computer reduces my overall stress level by a huge amount. So keep that in mind as well if you are noise sensitive.

EDIT: just for completenes: I have a Carillon rack computer I was very happy with their service etc. They are specialized on audio , which doesnt mean they are not also great for video editing
www.carillonac1.com/daw-computers/music-pc-rack-case/
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by kalimerox.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top