Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: PC parts upgrades

Re: PC parts upgrades 1 week, 1 day ago #199006

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
First, please excuse that I misunderstood your earlier post and thought that you're talkin about adding tracks, not clips.

I can't explain your findings. If the test shows max.2 frame audio delay you shouldn't see any difference when proxy-editing a few clips on a single track with simple effects.

For mobile editing I use a MacBook Air from 2012 with a dual core i5 with onboard graphics and 4GB RAM and don't have such problems.

Does restarting Lightworks change anything on the audio delay in preview?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: PC parts upgrades 1 week, 1 day ago #199008

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
If I was building now I would probably look at an i9 because I tend to try and future proof my systems when I build. However my i7 has no issues working with feature length projects and there's probably a fair bit of life in it yet.

Re: PC parts upgrades 1 week, 1 day ago #199012

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
jwrl wrote:
If I was building now I would probably look at an i9 because I tend to try and future proof my systems when I build. However my i7 has no issues working with feature length projects and there's probably a fair bit of life in it yet.

Same here. If I'm building or buying a new system, I tend towards the emerging tech that's likely to stay current longer. This (hopefully) means you need to replace it less often.

An opposite, but just as valid, strategy is to buy refurbished or a generation back to minimize your capital investment in gear that's current, but not cutting edge.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: PC parts upgrades 3 days, 2 hours ago #199590

Ok,
So I guess the question I have left, if I open lightworks and immediately open a project and try the in-editor playback feature it plays up to speed, in sync with what it actually is edited to, but a couple minutes later, that sync is completely lost.

I assume it is related to a build up of information to be ferried to and fro inside my machine, but I thought I would throw it out there, to see if anyone had any further thoughts. A new CPU is in my future, but for now I am trying to decide if a fresh download of lightworks will be beneficial, or if we are pretty sure it is the hardware, since some here claim to be using i5's with no issue.

Re: PC parts upgrades 2 days, 22 hours ago #199593

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 days, 22 hours ago
There are a number of factors at play, the codec you are using, the resolution, the speed of your hard drive (e.g if it's at the end of it's working life), other programs that may be using your computer's resources at the same time.

Any of these cause issues to arise. Having said that, users are successfully using proxy editing on lower powered machines.

Re: PC parts upgrades 2 days, 22 hours ago #199594

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 days, 22 hours ago
AllTheseThings wrote:
if I open lightworks and immediately open a project and try the in-editor playback feature it plays up to speed, in sync with what it actually is edited to, but a couple minutes later, that sync is completely lost.

This problem isn't very likely to be fixed with hardware.

What version of Lightworks do you run? Bottom center of the start screen you'll find the information.

Is the sync issue fixable by restarting Lightworks?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 days, 22 hours ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top