Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Graphics Card Question

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210318

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Since your GPU tests show the highest values I've ever seen, except of shader performance, you might be interested in comparing export times based on a test sequence with others:

Have a look into this one: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=150643&limit=15&limitstart=210&Itemid=81#210308
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210320

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
Since your GPU tests show the highest values I've ever seen, except of shader performance, you might be interested in comparing export times based on a test sequence with others:

Have a look into this one: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=150643&limit=15&limitstart=210&Itemid=81#210308

Is the sequence in post #193198 the one to download? Do I need to set 32bit float or 16bit?

G
Last Edit: 7 months, 1 week ago by G0bble.

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210321

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Yes, it's the sequence in post #193198.

For comparable results, restart your computer prior to testing, don't start any other application. In Lightworks set GPU precision to 16-bit integer, and h.264/MP4 export to High and bitrate to constant 5 Mbps, for both, 720p24 and 1080p24.

Export time for QFHD, 24 fps, 35 Mbps would be interesting to see with your system, here it's pretty slow.

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210326

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
Done. Uploaded in the other thread. So it looks like your more powerful Gaming GPU is doing a better job of it than my Workstation class GPU. Except that I have lots of cpu cycles to spare and system is smooth and lag free when exporting. Is your setup just slow (mine took 8+ mins) or also maxed-out and sluggish during export?

G

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210327

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
8 minutes? That's much too slow. I would have expected 8-10 seconds for 720p24. What export resolution does this duration refer to?

This problem isn't much likely to be caused by the CPU.

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210328

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
I see you've posted the information already in the other discussion.

8 minutes refer to QFHD and V14.5. I was thinking you've tested with 2020. With V14.5 the test sequence exported in QFHD can lead to memory corruption and all sorts of instability. This has obviously been fixed with 2020.

So, give it a second try, with Lightworks 2020.

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210337

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
hugly wrote:
Since your GPU tests show the highest values I've ever seen, except of shader performance, you might be interested in comparing export times based on a test sequence ..

For cases where complex effects are not required:
To see the potential benefits of high transfer values without being limited by shader performance, would it be useful to have a different test sequence with fewer effects? Maybe just a few blend and DVE effects so that Lightworks has to process several tracks at the same time?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210338

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
I would be good to have different demo projects to benchmark ones that tax GPU shaders and ones that test memory transfers. The results of different users along with their hardware info will help anyone planning a hardware upgrade in future.

I dont know how to generate content that will specialize for each use case however.

G

Re: Graphics Card Question 7 months, 1 week ago #210340

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 7 months, 1 week ago
so I just experimented with a Boris noise reduction effect. This is a cpu only effect, and GPU was at less than 9% throughout. About 16 cpu threads were pegged at 40% and it took a sweet 7 minutes to render. RAM usage was at 9/32GB.Wondering again why this didnt peg 24 threads at close to 100% and finish in 3mins flat... GPU was not the bottleneck here...

G
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds
Scroll To Top