• Page:

TOPIC: Graphics Card Question

Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198048

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
I have maxed out my motherboard CPU and have a decent (gaming) graphics card and plenty of RAM for my desktop, which I mostly use for editing and graphics stuff. However, I would like to upgrade my graphics card to a workstation type pro card or better gaming card (not to game, but have a more powerful editing machine), which ever is a better investment. I have seen videos where some graphics cards are so powerful, that the user can bypass the CPU for rendering/exporting videos and let the card handle it all. More than that, some GPU's can smoke CPU's that can render in a minute what would take CPU's at least 15 minutes for the same task. If instead of investing in a motherboard ,CPU and RAM, I funnelled that money into, say, a workstation graphics card that would cost as much as those three combined 1) would that not be a better investment 2) Can Lightworks leverage that power? As in, can I direct Lightworks to do rendering/exporting on a pro workstation card/gaming card?

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198049

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
If you want a workstation standard GPU, have a look at the suggested graphics cards listed here under graphics:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100&Itemid=211

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198051

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Hmm, so the Radeon Pro series would not really cut it? Radeon Pro seems to have a really good warranty and support, which is why I am interested. Does Lightworks recommend Nvidea because Radeon Pro is too new or more that there are special features that Nvidea has that Lightworks can tap into?

My current card, the RX560 is okay, but I would like to make a jump to (at least) an 8 gig GPU one day with better processing power, but am not sure how tied it is to the desktop parts. I think the desktop is okay and saving for a really good GPU could be the better investment.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198052

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
The developers don't test with the Radeon Pro, so you'll be doing the testing.

It's worth noting that there have been issues with open source drivers, when they have been used with Lightworks.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198053

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
I don't have money for a new GPU just yet, so there is time to research. I use the AMD GPU PRO drivers, not the open variety. OpenCL for video work requires proprietary drivers, I believe.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198055

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
FathomStory wrote:
2) Can Lightworks leverage that power?

Probably only in rare cases, if you use a very complex effect routing, use several specific user effects, or image effects with high-resolution images keyframes like.
How it is with effect plugins, or will be in future version, I can not say.

Otherwise, Lightworks mainly uses the CPU.
I recommend you to use a tool that shows you the utilization of the components, and then make your decision.
In Windows 10, my task manager displays an example when exporting (MP4):
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

(The sequent contains only a short DVE effect)
Note that I tested with a 5 year old onboard Intel GPU!
CPU: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

There are also cases where the data transfer speed between the components may be more important than the performance of the individual components.
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=194432&Itemid=81#194682
www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=12&id=191348&limit=15&limitstart=15&Itemid=81#197513

Great White wrote:

hugly wrote:
[ ...]Does this mean that, as soon as CPU and GPU speed exceed a certain limit, the transfer speed on the bus limits overall performance when creating proxies and exporting?

I imagine so
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 2 days ago by schrauber.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 2 days ago #198069

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 3 weeks, 2 days ago
I was reading up on some other NLE software and it seems they have not caught up with the latest GPU tech either (except DaVinci Resolve and Corel). Thus it seems getting a better gaming card, be it AMD/ATI or Nvidea, could be the more effective purchase. However that Nvidia Quadro K5200, if I do get the funds together, could be a good investment as well.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 1 day ago #198117

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
From what I know, Quadros are preferable when using specific 3D software, but I'm not convinced that a Quadro K5200 will outperform a GTX 1060 (at half the price) with Lightworks. The best bet you have is, try first, buy afterwards. Internet shops tend to provide a return and money back guarantee within a certain time.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 1 day ago by hugly.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks, 1 day ago #198157

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 1 day ago
I built a dual-Xeon machine with used parts. The CPUs are low clock versions, and the Quadro K4200 [also used] doesn’t seem to help much. The results on the LWKS GPU Test are downright embarrassing, compared to results others have posted.

But I’ve never come across an actual editing task that caused Lightworks to stutter or crash. I only do amateur stuff, with few effects added. But I do do some live editing [two cameras], and have never had a problem.

My uninformed sense, with respect to GPUs, is that the greater the cache, the better.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
500GB SSD and1TB HDD
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy E5 with Filmic Plus*
*JVC GY-HM150*

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks ago #198161

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 3 weeks ago
@hugly and geomcd1949 thanks, I was wondering about workstation vs gaming cards and the specs on the latter often have better value. I suppose that unless the software devs specifically leverage a particular piece of hardware, gaming cards should be fine. I will see if my RX560 bottlenecks and then look for a faster card with more RAM. Something that can be carried over to whenever I can afford a desktop upgrade.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks ago #198187

• G0bble
  • Junior Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
briandrys wrote:
The developers don't test with the Radeon Pro, so you'll be doing the testing.

It's worth noting that there have been issues with open source drivers, when they have been used with Lightworks.

Given the resurgence of AMD since 2018, with the new Vega/Radeon/VII/GCN architecture - I feel LWKS should invest in getting the application certified with these GPUs (at least the PRO drivers, we can rely on AMD's open-source commitment for the AMDGPUs to work reasonably well). Apple is going to be using Radeon in the Mac's and so has Intel licensed Radeon GPUs to use on some parts (likely a high-end IGP if not discrete card).

The world is no longer about just NVIDIA as the one favourite in the market - the options have multiplied.

G
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by G0bble.

Re: Graphics Card Question 3 weeks ago #198200

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 weeks ago
Lightworks supports Intel, AMD and NVidia GPUs on Linux, OSX and Window. Enough options for me.
Last Edit: 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Graphics Card Question 2 weeks, 6 days ago #198225

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
@hugly, the question was about later graphics cards like the Radeon Pro series. Price wise, it looks good and the support (from AMD) on them seems to be good. But as Briandys pointed out, Lightworks has not tested them. While gaming cards look a better value, I would like to transfer (or grow into) more pro level equipment. That is why I ask. I still use HD monitors and edit HD files, but at some point, I will need to transition. For now, money is tight so I need to work with what I have. GObble has a good point.

Re: Graphics Card Question 2 weeks, 6 days ago #198233

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
FathomStory wrote:
GObble has a good point.

No doubt, in general.

I just wanted to point out that Lightworks runs well, due to the shader language(s) used, on GPUs from Intel, AMD, and NVidia. In tech specs Intel isn't even listed and I can't say why this recommendation of NVidia GPUs with a few pictures showing Quadros exists, marketing maybe?

I'm not aware of any officially tested and certified hardware configuration for Lightworks. It's as vague as you can read in Tech Specs. So, test first buy later is the most valuable approach when buying new hardware (as with many other applcations). On the other hand, I run Lightworks Pro on Windows7, Windows 10, and OSX and the Free versions on several virtual machine (VMware) with different Linux distros and there's one thing I can say for sure: Lightworks is the most compatible cross-platform NLE on the planet.

Re: Graphics Card Question 2 weeks, 6 days ago #198235

• G0bble
  • Junior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
FathomStory wrote:
GObble has a good point.

Thanks yup thats what I meant.

hugly wrote:

On the other hand, I run Lightworks Pro on Windows7, Windows 10, and OSX and the Free versions on several virtual machine (VMware) with different Linux distros and there's one thing I can say for sure: Lightworks is the most compatible cross-platform NLE on the planet.

This I intriguing - I run KVM and a few VMs on my Fedora setup and AFAIK VMs don't have direct access to the GPU for maximum performance unlike the host - unless one uses GPU pass-through with a second GPU installed on the host machine. Are you getting full performance from your GPU from within a VM?

G
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top