Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: can't find where to open lightworks

can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197815

Before i start this, i think im obligated to tell you that im really bad with computers and that ive tried to find an answer on this website, but just couldn't understand anything that people tried to explain.

The thing is, I installed lightworks, without a problem. But when I tried to find the link/icon... to open this, I couldn't find it. There is a link on my home screen titled 'lightworks win32 (14.5.0.0)' and when I click on it, it says that I can't open it because 'lightworks.exe' was moved or changed.

Besides that, I also have a map with little maps called 'audiomixes', 'databases' etc.

And the last thing I have is the place where i further downloaded the program. When I try that, it just wants to download the program again.

I have no idea what to do. Should i try to download it again?

Also, the app where i can remove Lightworks works the same way as the link on my home screen. ''uninstall.exe' doesn't work because it was changed or moved'.

Thank you for responding

RaineRaimaker

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197817

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Are you working on Mac or Windows? Which version?

On windows, try typing Lightworks into the windows search bar on the bottom left corner of your computer screen.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197823

i work on windows version 1803. And when i search Lightworks in the search bar, the only things that come up are the setup thing and how to uninstall.

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197825

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Assuming you let lightworks install itself, it should be in one of the program folders on the C drive. If you look in the Windows file explorer > This PC > C> Program files (there are usually two) you can check in these if Lightworks is installed.

If it's there, you can open the folder and find ntcardvt.exe. If you right click on this a menu opens, select create a short cut. This will allow you to start Lightworks on the desktop icon.

Alternately, you can uninstall the current Lightworks and then install the current download by clicking it, the install wizard opens and you follow the install procedure.

Last Edit: 2 months ago by briandrys.

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197826

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
OK, the following instructions will get you started. It bypasses the problem that you're having, but does not fix it. We'll get to the fix once you've got Lightworks running.

First download a fresh copy of the Lightworks installer for Windows from this website and nowhere else. The current version is 14.5 and you have two choices. Download the 32 bit version for now, because that will run on all Windows systems, whereas the 64 bit version requires a 64 bit version of Windows. Now delete in desktop shortcuts to Lightworks that the previous installation may have put there.

Run that fresh copy of the installer without attempting to uninstall whatever you currently have. The first choice that you will be given is the language that you wish to use. Once you've passed that the next message that you will get advises you to close all other applications. This means exactly what it says: don't just minimise other programs to the taskbar, exit them completely. Accept the license agreement, the components to install (don't change anything) and you will be asked where you want to install the program.

The default for a 32 bit installation will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Lightworks\Lightworks\. Change that to C:\Program Files (x86)\LW_14.5_32bit. This will ensure that wherever the previous installation(s) put things you will be placing the software in a fresh location. You can then select where in the start menu folder you want to put a shortcut to Lightworks. That's entirely your choice. Personally, I wouldn't change anything. Continue until you have completed the installation, accepting any choices you are given.

Once the process is finished launch Lightworks from the desktop icon. Come back and tell us what result you have. Once we get you up and running we will guide you through removing the older installations.

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197827

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
And briandrys beat me! We have taken two different approaches. His assumes that you have a working version of Lightworks installed that Windows for some reason can't access. Mine bypasses any other version of Lightworks.

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197888

Ok, so I downloaded it again, put it in another location (C:\Program Files (x86)\LW_14.5_32bit) and it totally works! Thank you! Now I can finally start with my school project.

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 2 months ago #197889

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Great!

If you haven't already done so, check out the Quick Start video tutorial, also useful information can be found in the V14.5 User Guide if you're stuck, it's in downloads > documentation

Re: can't find where to open lightworks 1 month, 4 weeks ago #197901

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 month, 4 weeks ago
Good to hear. One final cleanup step is worth doing. Look for a folder called either C:\Program Files\Lightworks or C:\Program Files (x86)\Lightworks and remove it. That removes your old broken Lightworks version that Windows couldn't repair or remove.

Down the track it would be worth checking whether you are running 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. To do that, in the Windows start menu click on the cogs icon and choose "System". Choose "About" in the left panel of that window. About halfway down you will see a collection of information about your installed memory, processor, etc., and your system type. That will tell you whether your operating system is 64 bit or not.

If it is, without removing your 32 bit version you can download and install the 64 bit version of Lightworks as well. It will use more of the power of a 64 bit system than the 32 bit version will and will happily run without disturbing or being disturbed by that version. It will also recognise and open your existing projects.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.40 seconds
Scroll To Top