Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks Editing-PC

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198860

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
m.bauer588 wrote:
... I hope that bet work - if not I can return the GPU in the first 14 days ...

Currently Lightworks uses the GPU mainly for effects. If you use only a few simple standard effects at 1080p resolution, then probably even the i5 built-in GPU will not be busy (but I have Windows, on other operating systems, the GPU load may be higher). If you combine a lot of effects in the routing, or, and use some powerful user effects at 4k resolution, the GPU load increases significantly.
The GPU utilization of plugins I do not know.

Do you have a computer on which you already work with Lightworks to know the requirements of your projects?
Of course, the technical requirements may change in the future.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198861

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
Ok but in my case I use a dedicaded PC for editing and I don't really care about the rendering time. All I need is a snappy timeline-performance without wasting time for generating proxies.

I use depending on the job/tasks Resolve or Lightworks.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198862

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
schrauber wrote:
Do you have a computer on which you already work with Lightworks to know the requirements of your projects?
Of course, the technical requirements may change in the future.

Yes and no - I use a old Mac Pro with 2 Xeons but my biggest Problem is the extreme outdated HD5770 with 1GB VRAM and a lousy performance for video editing.

With the new PC comes also 2 new cameras - one with 4K RAW and the other with 1080p RAW - generally I use mostly 1080p so no problem there but if I will use 4K in some of the cases i want to be able to do at least some lighter 4K editing mostly for stock footage / snippets for some clients.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198863

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
m.bauer588 wrote:
All I need is a snappy timeline-performance without wasting time for generating proxies..

Video dimensions and encoding (also proxies) have a strong influence on CPU load and data rate. Currently, this has only a minimal effect on the GPU load in Lightworks (apart from the image effect).

Decisive for the GPU load in connection with effects is mainly the resolution set in the project settings. The GPU internally scales the media to this resolution (real time in RAM; these are not proxies). If smaller proxies are used than the project setting, the internal texture is scaled up to the project settings.
The GPU load of the scaling process depends on the resolution of the media, but this only causes a low GPU load.
The effects use the internally scaled texture, which makes their share of the GPU load different regardless of the dimensions of the media.
An exception is the image effect; hopefully zoom effects will also use the original resolution in the future, which will probably also influence the GPU load.

I recommend to use a program to make the current GPU load visible.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Software: Lightworks 2020.1 & 14.5; || Windows 10, 64 Bit
Hardware: Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz); || shared RAM: 8 GB; || Intel HD Graphics 4600 (can use max. 2 GB of shared RAM)
Last Edit: 10 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198864

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
My suggestion: Use proxies when editing and don't care much about the resolution, computer power defines time for proxy creation, not editing performance.

What kind of RAW format? Lightworks supports .R3D and and the new .BRAW, out of the box.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 10 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198865

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
BRAW + CinemaDNG

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198866

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
Blackmagic pocket gear?

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198867

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
Yes - BMPCC4K and a fps4000 1080/950
Last Edit: 10 months ago by m.bauer588.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198868

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 10 months ago
fps4000, wow. To capture something like this?

Regarding the formats, a pre-release of BRAW decoder has been implemented with V4.5, works and looks good, but the interface isn't complete yet. I think that the full feature set will be available with next release, V14.6 .

CDNG is different, it's importable, but I suspect that this still applies and haven't heard of any scheduled change on this.
Last Edit: 10 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 10 months ago #198869

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 10 months ago
Exactly!
Time to create page: 0.42 seconds
Scroll To Top