Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks Editing-PC

Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197499

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hello,
I am planning to buy a new PC for editing with Lightworks under Ubuntu. My configuration would be:

AMD RYZEN 7 2700,
GIGABYTE B450M S2H,
16GB RAM,
GTX 1070,
M2 SSD

Is that OK vor 1080p editing? 4K is not important for me for the next 2-3 years...

I record mainly in CinemaDNG. Does LW use mainly the NVenc or does LW also use the CUDA-cores?

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197500

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

That should be fine for most editing, you can always use the internal proxy editing feature if you require it. USB3 connectors are good for external drives.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197501

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
m.bauer588 wrote:
Is that OK vor 1080p editing?

I think it is. However, test it with the free version, since it's basically a Pro version with limited export options. Wherever performance issues appear, the internal proxy workflow helps.

I record mainly in CinemaDNG. Does LW use mainly the NVenc or does LW also use the CUDA-cores?

Lightworks uses the CPU to decode/encode. It doesn't use CUDA and NVEnc (hardware based decoding/encoding in general) at all, as it stands now with V14.5. The GPU is used for the display and effects.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197502

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
As a matter of interest, I'm not aware of any software which uses CUDA or NVEnc to decode CinemaDNG. Is there any?

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197503

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
OK, so even with even havier grading i will not drop frames in the preview - that's actually my problem with the onboard graphic. After a bit of grading I have 4-6fps in the preview and that is unuseable.

Seems that the 1070 will fix that...
Or is a 1060 / 1660 enough?
Or would it be better to go for 2060 / 2070?

As I need for exporting and rendering mostly the CPU- it would be better to save a bit on the GPU and invest in more RAM oder a 2700X?

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197504

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hm, Lightworks doesn't show fps on preview. What software are you testing with?

Mind you, if Lightworks runs well, that doesn't mean necessarily that other software runs well on the same machine, and vice versa.

I run a 1920x 32GB RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB VRAM. I see that too many cores are not beneficial to overall editing performance (as it stands now), 16GB of RAM is enough, even for 4K material and the 1060 isn't the limiting factor here, but 4GB of VRAM make sense.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197505

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
hugly wrote:
Hm, Lightworks doesn't show fps on preview. What software are you testing with?

Lightworks - i know but the experience is a laggy slideshow and the sound is so slow that I can't even understand what people in the clip are telling... So maybe it's just 3fps maybe even 6 oder 7 - but far away from useable for cutting.

So I see it don't work without a dedicaded GPU but I was not sure if a top of the line GPU like 1080Ti is a must have or a entry-level one like the 1060 is good enough.

Seems that i can save cca. 100 EUR and use a 1060 as well which bring me the the next point. I have now 100 EUR more for a 2700X or 32GB Ram - RAM or more MHz?
Last Edit: 2 months ago by m.bauer588.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197506

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
MHz!

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197509

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
One additional note referring to mass storage:

I have three M2 SSDs connected to my X399 Aorus Xtreme, nice to have and maybe to tell about, but they don't make much of a difference in real world performance compared to SSD connected via SATA (however, the benchmarks look great). Please bear in mind, file size of CinemaDNG and the figure Euros per Gigabyte, might indicate quickly that you should add some Terabytes of fast 7200 RPM HDD for mass storage and archives/backups to your system.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197511

• m.bauer588
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Thanks, I know - for archiving i have 2x12TB WD Gold planned.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 2 months ago #197523

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 months ago
m.bauer588 wrote:
As I need for exporting and rendering mostly the CPU- it would be better to save a bit on the GPU and invest in more RAM oder a 2700X?

Since colourgrading is an effect it relies on the power of the GPU to perform well in preview, which is where you're encountering bottlenecks. Your exported result won't be affected at all by the CPU/GPU balance, but time to export may be. What would probably help you more is to edit using the Lightworks proxy system. Lightworks will automatically use the original media when exporting, but previews during editing will be smoother.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 1 month, 3 weeks ago #198015

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
m.bauer588 wrote:

Seems that i can save cca. 100 EUR and use a 1060 as well which bring me the the next point. I have now 100 EUR more for a 2700X or 32GB Ram - RAM or more MHz?

Make sure you invest extra in low-latency RAM. Only the cpu power is not going to do the magic when it comes to a responsive system.

G
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by G0bble.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 1 month, 3 weeks ago #198056

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
FWIW

On the web site of Crucial, one of the major semiconductor manufacturers, I found a short article about RAM speed vs CAS-latency:

www.crucial.com/usa/en/learn-with-crucial/about-memory/ram-speed-vs-cas-latency

It's one of a set of easy-to-read articles about computer memory there:

www.crucial.com/usa/en/learn-with-crucial/about-memory
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 1 month, 3 weeks ago #198063

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
One more useful link. When buying RAM - if you can afford it buy a higher clock rate then you intend to use it at and then use it at a lower clock rate with tighter timings.
For ex: if you plan on running 3200mhz RAM get an overclockers favorite brand/model rated at 3400mhz and use it at 3200Mhz with lower latency timings manual configured. Don't forget to get an Intel XMP certified RAM kit - even for Ryzen.

www.tweaktown.com/guides/6899/ddr4-memory-overclocking-report-beginners-guide/index.html

Good luck!

Cheers
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by G0bble.

Re: Lightworks Editing-PC 1 month, 3 weeks ago #198095

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Another quick tip - some mobos (not all) are getting a UEFI upgrade to make PCIE slot closest to cpu into pcie 4.0 standard compatible. Make sure you buy one advertised with a pcie 4 slot or a model about to receive a uefi update that upgrades to the 4.0 standard - for future proofing it. Not all can be updated since it depends on the physical length of the pcie signal traces implemented, so …

cheers
Time to create page: 0.41 seconds
Scroll To Top