Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: No audio output at all

No audio output at all 4 months ago #194730

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
I've only been using Lightworks a couple of weeks. At first, when I played a clip in the viewer, I heard it on my system speakers. But for the last week or so, I hear absolutely nothing, no matter what I do. I have tried changing the pan settings and switching the "solo" mode on and off. In Windows 10 Settings, "Lightworks" audio was connected to the default, which is system speakers. I changed it to system speakers explicitly, but nothing changed. I have also tried playing the clip in a video player, and the audio is fine.

Attachment 1: Main screen with System settings. Note "IO device" is set to "System Sound" but it is greyed out. This is exactly the same as in the Lightworks manual. At any rate, I can't change it. When I select "output tests", I hear nothing.

Attachment 2: Edit screen showing the audio waveforms and with the clip playing.

Attachment 3: Audio screen showing the VU meters active for A1, A2, and L/R.

This has GOT to be a simple fix. I have avoided reinstalling Lightworks, hoping there's a simple setting I have missed. Help.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194731

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Hello,

I think that's an issue on OS level - the most obvious would be the Windows Mixer settings.

With Lightworks running, open the Windows Audio mixer and set the level of Lightworks to 100%. With the output device (here RealteK HD) at 100% it should look like this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194735

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Thanks hugly, but that's not it. I tried it several ways and still no sound.

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194737

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
Is audio heard if you run 'Output tests' - seen in your first posted image?
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194739

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
If no AJA or Blackagic I/O card is attached to the system, Lightworks uses always the default audio output device defined on OS level, thus 'I/O-device' shows 'System Sound' and is greyed out.

From your screenshot it appears that your video has audio, the audio tracks are enabled and the faders on the audio mixer are set to zero, same as track level and clip gain in Audio mode. That looks ok and there's nothing more you can adjust from within Lightworks.

Use the 'Output Tests'. If you don't hear anything, there's something wrong with your audio settings on OS level, if you hear something, there's trouble with your video.

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194741

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
If there is only default O/S system sound present then 'system sound' is greyed out - there is no other option.

As PickerDad may have an electric instruments am a bit interested in the possibility they may have some unusual third party, perhaps external, perhaps firewire, computer interface device not monitored by LW but nonetheless hogging the output audio path - somehow.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194743

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
OK, everybody sees the same thing I do; it should work but doesn't. The 'Output Test' doesn't work, but the sound is obviously there. If I export to a video, the sound is fine.

All the Lightworks and Windows settings are right, but still no sound. I even tried a 3rd party app for the mixer but it do anything either. Ain't Windows wonderful? So no choice but to reinstall Lightworks and hope for the best. I'll let you know, probably tomorrow.

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194745

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Prior to re-installing Lightworks give restarting your computer a shot.

Re: No audio output at all 4 months ago #194749

• PickerDad
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Yup. That did it, a simple reboot. Relieved. And feeling a bit foolish. Thanks for your patience, everyone.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top