Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Recommended Video Card

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 year, 5 months ago #198110

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
Now that's its easy to create proxies in lightworks that works great for me. I'm upgrading memory now (from 16gb) because I get a sound lag rather quickly after some processing.

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 year, 5 months ago #198111

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
I run 32 GB and from what I see here, upgrading RAM from 16 to 32 GB will neither improve performance nor reduce sound lags in Lightworks, unless you run many other apps simultaneously.

The benefit I have here from 32 GB is that I can run more virtual machines simultaneously.

Edit: I just saw that I've pointed this out already in other words earlier, feel free to ignore this post as well.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 year, 5 months ago #198112

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
So more memory won't help the sound lag issue? I can add up to 64gb on my board. Sound is fine unless it loads a heavy clip or does some processing.

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 year, 5 months ago #198116

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 5 months ago
rolover wrote:
So more memory won't help the sound lag issue?

Yes, that's what I've said that I'm thinking based on what I see here, even for 4K video 16GB RAM is enough. When using more complex effect structures and/or 4K display, 4 GB or more of VRAM can help to avoid sudden performance breakdowns

Sound is fine unless it loads a heavy clip or does some processing.

The best medicine against performance problems and system overload is using internal proxies or common I-Frame intermediate formats, instead of highly compressed long GOP video.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 1 year, 5 months ago by hugly.

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 month ago #225563

I kn ow it is an old thread, but since I have the same questions I will continue here:

My server runs great with Lightworks and that is a 24core server with 32GB ram and and one of the latest AMD vidoe cards. I have to use AMD video cards as the NVIDIA cards generates to much heat for a 1U server and they self destruct. The AMD runs cool and works as good and in fact better as it doesnt blow up.

My question is what do I on the other side need to know getting a Laptop.
From what was said in this thread, it seems amount of Cores are paramount and editing is more CPU extensive than GPU extensive.
I dont need 4k, just 2K playback so the GPU can be any integrated NVIDIA or AMD card that can do 2K smoothly. Right ?

However for editing, what is the metric that is currently the limit for 2k ?
How many cores at what speed ?

I use Linux exclusively as another data point.
Thanks.

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 month ago #225590

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 month ago
It's best if you can get a laptop with a discrete AMD or Nvidia graphics card. On Linux, you'd benefit from installing the proprietary driver over the open source driver.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225819

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Hey treestump, arniepix is right. But it also depends on what kind of 2K clips you're editing. 2K prores/cineform proxies won't be much more demanding than HD proxies (2160x1080 vs 1920x1080). If you're editing RED RAW... yeah you're going to need a discrete video card with at least 8GB of VRAM if you want any chance at all.

You're asking about the CPU though too? I've never seen comprehensive benchmarks for Lightworks, but looking at numbers for Premiere as a rough comparison 16-cores seems like a solid bet for a higher budget machine without going overboard. www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Premiere-Pro-CPU-performance-Intel-Core-10th-Gen-vs-AMD-Ryzen-3rd-Gen-1763/

Without dedicated benchmarks though it's tough... have no idea how well multi-threaded Lightworks is to Premiere or not. (I'm running 6-cores here btw... proxies are my friend. ).

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225820

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
For what it's worth, I'm managing quite nicely with an older Quadro K2200, an Intel i7-4790 and 32 GB RAM. Last year I was editing QHD+ (3200x1800) ProRes 4444 media on it with no real trouble, but I more commonly use 1920x1080 media with a range of codecs.

If you need to deal with multiple streams you would need more CPU power than I have, but despite the fact that I produce a lot of effects the GPU has never really been an issue for me. I do know that if I use the Lightworks quad split and H.264 media I have to render or use proxies. But that really isn't a surprise, and is more likely due to CPU and drive access bottlenecks.
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225824

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Media HDD subsystem seems to be the unloved child in these hardware conversations. That's an oversight.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 weeks, 1 day ago #225828

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks, 1 day ago
RWAV wrote:
Media HDD subsystem seems to be the unloved child in these hardware conversations. That's an oversight.

Definitely. I use a very large RAID-5 array for my media storage for a reason. When SSDs are economical enough in multi-Gig capacities that will probably change, but the trade-off will be a more rigorous backup regime.
Last Edit: 4 weeks, 1 day ago by jwrl.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 weeks ago #225833

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 weeks ago
It doesn't have to be complicated - a couple of at least 4 Bay JBODs on a decent fit-for-purpose interface should do most video editing taasks. Each box setup as striped volume(s). Make one box the working destination - the other an automatic or as required mirror to use as a source in the case of failure.

Avoids all the cost and complexity of RAID - which I can attest - is not foolproof anyway, just takes a very very long time of struggling on at about 30% bandwidth while attempting a RAID rebuild to finally come to that conclusion.

If there's anyone who thinks JBODs are passé technology no one uses - take a look here

shop.serversdirect.com/storage/das-and-jbod

If anything is passé it would be running high bandwidth demand material on a single drive while fearing the drive might disintegrate from the stress.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Recommended Video Card 3 weeks, 3 days ago #226000

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 3 weeks, 3 days ago
^Media storage is so important! But the new post was asking for a laptop? So I'm assuming it'd either be stored on the system SSD, but if they're editing on an external HDD than for sure that could be a bottleneck.

If they're using proxies, however, GPU or CPU could easily become the bottleneck again. I used to work in a production house that did lots of colour and effects work in Premiere, with complicated timelines, that always benefited from at least 32GB of RAM, better GPU/CPU (especially for rendering).

That's why the question for me is always what media are you using -- I usually work with proxies so a RAID is less of a priority for me than if I was doing colour correction on RED RAW everyday.

But, again, we don't have comprehensive benchmarks for Lightworks a la Puget, so it's hard to know definitively what the upper limit is.
Last Edit: 3 weeks, 3 days ago by SepiaStudios.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top