• Page:

TOPIC: Recommended Video Card

Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194366

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Hi,

I'm going to finally upgrade my old video card. Over the past couple years I've complained frequently about little issues with lightworks, also Boris crashing nonstop. Hopefully a new card will fix those issues.

My computer is an i7 from last year (2018) and working drive is SSD. I'm going to upgrade from 16gb ram to 64gb and buy an up to date video card, now that's I've finally given in to start filming in 4K. What card would you recommend to be able to smoothly work with 4K files without having to make proxies? Ideally not more than 250-300€$ or so.

Thanks!

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194370

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
There are some new graphics cards in that price range which would be worth checking out. www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/6194-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nvidia-s-gtx-1660-ti

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194372

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
rolover wrote:
What card would you recommend to be able to smoothly work with 4K files without having to make proxies? Ideally not more than 250-300€$ or so.

Please bear in mind that, as it stands now, GPU and VRAM are used for display and effects only, everything else is done on CPU and RAM, i.e.file I/0, decoding, encoding, buffering, and the user interface.

Not long ago, I've upgraded to a CPU with 12 physical cores, time to create proxies and for any kind of transcoding with third party software for creating edit-friendly formats has decreased significantly, since then.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194383

My GTX 1060 6GB has worked well for me!
Live your life one frame at a time

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
48GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194386

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Ok, thanks for replies.

So Hugly, you're saying for editing it relies more on CPU and RAM, yeah?
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by rolover.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194391

• RWAV
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
To the extent that editing involves looking at the pictures including at times quite complex VFX the GPU can become a bottleneck making the edit un-playable. Sure one can still export it - that scenario crops up regularly as the underlying problem in new user questions.

It may be best to err towards a higher level GPU for optimal affordable real-time performance. The CPU functions will complete, even if a few milliseconds (compounded by the number of instructions) slower.
BETA System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64BIT
HP Z800 Workstation

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months, 1 week ago #194416

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
rolover wrote:
So Hugly, you're saying for editing it relies more on CPU and RAM, yeah?

Not exactly relying, but because of the described tasks of CPU and GPU, editing and export performance depends mainly on the CPU, unless you use demanding effect structures on your sequences. Furthermore, adding RAM above 16 GB has no impact to performance, from what I see here, but one gains freedom of leaving more other applications running.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months ago #194811

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Please bear in mind that, as it stands now, GPU and VRAM are used for display and effects only, everything else is done on CPU and RAM, i.e.file I/0, decoding, encoding, buffering, and the user interface.

You're right. I picked up a gtx 1060 gaming x. Editing 4K clips is just as slow as with my old nvidia card from 2011. That's a dissapointment. I guess I need some xeon processors to edit without a proxy.

I did notice that now I can play normal h.265 4k files smoothly, whereas with the old card it was pretty much stuck the whole time.

I haven't upgraded to the lastest Lightworks version yet, still at 16.0.0.0. I don't know if that might help. I'm in the middle of editing a short film and am afraid of something getting messed up.

Cheers.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months ago #194812

I too am working on a short and I upgraded from 14.0 to 14.5 no problem. I would still archive the project to be safe and make an XML for good measure.
Live your life one frame at a time

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
48GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months ago #194846

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months ago
I too am working on a short and I upgraded from 14.0 to 14.5 no problem. I would still archive the project to be safe and make an XML for good measure.

I'm a little paranoid. I'll wait till I finish!

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months ago #194849

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
Install 14.5 in a separate folder to that used for 14.0 and you'll be able to run either. You won't break anything. Since release 10 I have done this with sometimes up to six versions of Lightworks installed at a time. Because of the effects development work that I do I currently have 64 and 32 bit versions of 14.0 and 14.6 on one of my systems. It's never caused me any problems.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months ago #194912

• rolover
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 4 months ago
I did that and it loaded fine in the new version. Cheers.

Re: Recommended Video Card 4 months ago #194935

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
Good to hear.

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 month, 3 weeks ago #198099

• G0bble
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
hugly wrote:

Is this true even for decoding with an APU like Ryzen 2400G? I understand the encoding tasks are not a good application for GPU computing and even when implemented the quality does not match CPU encoding (as per popular Internet literature) - however why is decoding also a cpu task in LWKS? the Ryzen APUs for ex have built in VCE/UVD for decoding h.264/h.265/VC-9/JPEG and it makes sense to use that engine and unburden the cpu.

Thanks
G

Re: Recommended Video Card 1 month, 3 weeks ago #198108

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 month, 3 weeks ago
I'm not with Editshare, but I can imagine that we will see GPU decoding/encoding with Lightworks, for selected codecs and hardware, sooner or later, maybe starting with internal h.264 proxies and h.264/h.265 sources.

Since scaling is always done on the GPU, the video streams are pumped to VRAM (and back) over the bus anyway with dedicates GPUs.

On the other hand there are major drawbacks: Lightworks, as it stands now, runs on Window, Linux, OSX with whatever hardware installed. Since hardware acceleration and GPU based video encoding/decoding in the real world is proprietary and limited to specific hardware, either things get very complicated to implement in order to support as many hardware configurations as possible or major limitations will arise in tech specs. Second, the codecs supported by GPU based video processing are by no means the codecs recommended for video editing. Third, different from computer games, which run more or less on the GPU, CPU and GPU are needed for video editing, thus bus transfer speed can grow to a limiting factor for overall performance. Only the Lightworks developers, with hands on the code, can make tests to find out if there's some benefit from video decoding/decoding on the GPU.
Last Edit: 1 month, 3 weeks ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds
Scroll To Top