Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months, 1 week ago #195746

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
+1

CentOS is the officially supported OS for other finishing and VFX software, so it would make sense to support it for editing as well.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months, 1 week ago #195789

I totally agree!!

CentOS is default for many VFX houses and such. Mocha Pro, Sapphire, Nuke, Fusion, Resolve, Heiro, 3DsMax, Maya, etc. are all targeted toward CentOS... or you could make a Flatpak or Snap Package and Lightworks will work across all Linux distros!!
Live your life one frame at a time

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
48GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months, 1 week ago #195854

• Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
But shouldn;t it already work well? CentOS is based on RedHat which should make any RPM package work. I can;t comment much because I didn't try CentOS my self, but I got the impression that CentOS might be slow on getting new libraries support. Which may be troublesome to work with the most recent software.

It always seems that Ubuntu and some other more widely used Linux distros are the first ones to support newer hardware. That is the reason why I am using Kubuntu. I may be bonkers and stupid here, but if Lighworks work well on Fedora (which is, if I am not mistaken, based on Red Hat Linux), it might be the issue hidden somewhere in CentOS, not Lightworks.

And as many people nowadays tell, appimage, flatpak or snap package might be the best way to go. Currently I enjoy using appimages. Newer had a problem with these ones.
Kind regards,
Danas
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL Precision M5520; Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.7 GHz; 16GiB of RAM; Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5 / Intel HD Graphics 530 ,

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 18.04

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months, 1 week ago #195855

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
That's a question similar to "Which came first: the chicken or the egg?".

Fact is, Lightworks doesn't run on CentOS.

Since CentOS has a very restrictive update policy, it's assumed to be one of the most stable and reliable distros for free out there. Maybe that's one of the reasons why suppliers of commercial software prefer supporting CentOS on first place?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months ago #196178

I mostly want to use CentOS because of the commercial app support! Like many commercial OFX plugins only ship on CentOS(Think MochaPro). But it's stability is also a huge plus, and the fact that it's the number one Linux version used in Hollywood VFX houses, AND A BIG ONE... the ten year support cycle!! All are huge benifits.

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months ago #196181

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
Guess this subject by the name of agenpokerterpercaya is a spammer.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months ago #196186

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months ago
hugly wrote:
Guess this subject by the name of agenpokerterpercaya is a spammer.

Noted.

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 5 months ago #196189

• Danas_Anis
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months ago
How is the support of the newer hardware? What I like about Ubuntu based Linux is that it gets newest hardware support faster than other Linux distros. At least it seems like it. How easy Centos is to maintain? I am just curious, sometimes I want to try Red Hat based OS like Centos because of other commercial software official supporting it as OS. But if it is a nightmare to handle drivers, then it is a no go for not tech savvy people. ( I still remember the fiasco with NVidia Optimus technology, first one to get a working solution was Ubuntu) By the way, I heard a rumor that ubuntu 18.04 is set to have 10 year support as well. Would be so awesome to have modo and mocha officially supported on ubuntu.
Kind regards,
Danas
www.danas-imaging.com

DELL Precision M5520; Intel Core i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.7 GHz; 16GiB of RAM; Nvidia Quadro M1200 w/4GB GDDR5 / Intel HD Graphics 530 ,

DELL XPS L502X; Intel Core i-7-2630QM CPU @ 2.0 GHz; 8GB RAM; NVidia GeForce 540M 2Gb.

Kubuntu 18.04

Re: Moved from Ubuntu to CentOS 4 months, 4 weeks ago #196318

The 10 year Ubuntu support will be available as a paid commercial solution past the 5 year mark.

CentOS has good hardware and driver support in my experience, however, it's not as easy as Ubuntu for sure! I did have to do a little searching online to install Nvidia drivers but got them and they work well.

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m