Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode?

LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 5 days ago #192412

• Tamerlin
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
I've been working with an HP Spectre x360, with an ULV quad-core Kaby Lake-R CPU and a 2GB nVidia mx150 GPU. It can playback Redcode smoothly as long as I have the de-Bayer resolution set low enough.

Right now I'm working on an Alienware m15 with a hexacore CPU (45 watt rather than 15 watt) plus an 8GB nVidia 1070 Max-Q.

On the new rig everything is a LOT faster... except Redcode playback. That's choppy -- and it SEEMS (not sure about this) that LightWorks is only using the Intel GPU; when I run the GPU tests, it reports 32GB memory, which is my system memory size, which leads me to believe that it's testing the internal Intel GPU since that has access to system memory.

Plus even while transcoding Redcode, the GPU utilization is precisely nil, even with the CPUs pegged.

Is there a config parameter that I've missed that would enable LightWorks to use the GPU for Redcode playback?

Thanks

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 5 days ago #192432

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Hi,

I assume you are running Windows. I can't say whether the GPU is used for Redcode decoding or not, but it should be possible to disable the Intel onboard graphics from Windows Device Manager under Display Adapters. This should have impact, at least, to the GPU tests.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192462

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
NVIDIA and RED solved some probs on lates GPUs.
(I'v posted a video somewhere on the forum)
blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/08/14/red-digital-cinema-nvidia-8k/

same for "3d"
blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/01/08/autodesk-red-3d-animation-6k-video-editing-laptops/

greets
s.

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192465

• Tamerlin
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Is disabling the integrated GPU the only way to get LightWorks to get the Red SDK to use the nVidia GPU?

That shouldn't be the case; most applications using the SDK allow you to choose which GPU it will use for Redcode, but I haven't found a way to do that in LightWorks.

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192466

• Tamerlin
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
This isn't a Red or nVidia problem... Resolve handles Redcode a lot better on this machine than on my older one, but Resolve makes it easy for me to tell it which GPU to use for Redcode.

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192468

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
>This isn't a Red or nVidia problem...
no, they work together ...

optimal: using the latest red-sdk + NV gpu does the trick > the GPU works out of the box for redcode.

if your older cpu is slower and the newer if faster and red is on cpu - so ... yes.

s
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 4 days ago by lghtwrks.

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192469

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 4 days ago #192471

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 4 days ago
X gpu check:

start windows powershell (eg. windows button and enter: powershell) ...

-----
foreach ($yourgpus in Get-WmiObject Win32_VideoController) { Write-Host $yourgpus.Description }
-----
s.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 2 weeks, 2 days ago #192519

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Tamerlin wrote:
most applications using the SDK allow you to choose which GPU it will use for Redcode, but I haven't found a way to do that in LightWorks.

I don't see a way to select the GPU from within Lightworks either.

Let us know if disabling the Intel GPU from BIOS and/or assigning the NViDIA GPU from NVIDIA settings has an impact on performance of RED footage on your system.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 2 days ago by hugly.

Re: LightWorks GPU configuration, particularly for Redcode? 1 week, 1 day ago #193066

• Tamerlin
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
Disabling the Intel GPU turned out to be problematic, to say the least. Based on that it's not a viable option.

None of the nVidia control panel settings have had a noticeable affect on LightWorks' performance with Redcode. It definitely seems like Lightworks is restricting the Red SDK to using the Intel GPU, which is a bug. I guess I should put this in the bug section...

Doubling machine performance shouldn't lead to slower Redcode playback for obvious reasons... and there shouldn't be any reason to jump through all these hoops to get Lightworks to take advantage of the high performance GPU in my system instead of the pitiful Intel GPU.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.35 seconds
Scroll To Top