Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive)

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 5 days, 2 hours ago #187741

Yeah so I think I've just been linking to this hard drive (while also thinking everything was being stored there in general). Does that mean, if I reformat the external drive and add everything back to the same place on it, that Lightworks will be able to draw on it again in the same way?

Looking at the clips of an open project now (without the drive connected), all the used media is considered 'offline'.

At the very least, if it still can't find it, is there a way of me having Lightworks locate the media within a certain folder with the same file name? I feel like I saw once that that's a thing.

To (sort of) answer your question, hugly, what I've done from the start is copy all images, videos and audio that I want to use onto my external drive before importing it. That way I hoped to save space on my actual laptop (which is already stuffed to the brim with music), and just have everything 'working' out of the external. As you've made me aware--if I understand correctly--it's just the media that's being pulled from the drive, but the actual metadata of the projects is still residing in my actual laptop.

That raises another question - if my laptop were to die, but I had my external hard drive with all the media and archives saved on it, would I be able to reinstall as it were on a new laptop?

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 5 days, 1 hour ago #187743

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days, 1 hour ago
With default settings, all assets (e.g. projects, user effect, templates, macros, settings, local media), excluding linked media, are located in sub folders of the ~/Lightworks on your local home directory (see schrauber's screenshot earlier). Internally, linked media are represented by small link files in internal media space (~/Lightworks/Media). Not only linked media but also the link files have to be present for proper operations.

If Lightworks finds all your linked media at the same location (/volume/path/filename) on the reformatted drive, it will work as nothing has ever happened.

If linked media has been moved, it's possible to relink them. Lightworks refers to filname.extension when relinking. Renamed files cannot be relinked. To relink moved media, select clips to relink in "Filter.Clips", right-click and execute "Media.Relink missing". This works also for single clips from source viewer, or for clips in the timeline from "Sequence Commands". If something is wrong with your internal media locations, "Media.Repair" instead of "Media.Relink missing" is shown, then follow the onscreen dialogue.

With default configuration, (only one Media Location, ~/Lightworks/Media) migration to another system can be done in three steps:

1. Install Lightworks on the new system.
2. Move the folder ~/Lightworks to the new system.
3. Attach the external hard drive with linked media, mounted with same volume name.

Of course you can use project backup to migrate projects one by one. It has the benefit that you create a backup of each project, but it takes longer and you have to deal with macros, user effects, templates, and settings separately.

As a side note: It's a good idea to include the entire folder ~/Lightworks in your regular backup routines on OS level, just in case your system drive crashes. I think, OSX Time Machine will do that by default.

Hope that answers all your questions.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 5 days, 1 hour ago #187744

hugly, once again, I tip my hat. I'll try reformatting etc. now and see what happens. I'm grateful for having advanced solutions to anything might come up!

On your side note, I don't use Time Machine, but instead just copy files over to external drives. Would copying the (internal hard drive) Lightworks folder to a backup drive serve the same purpose?

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 5 days ago #187745

It worked

Seems like I can use the drive as normal, and thankfully I can access all my projects perfectly.

Aside from backing up my internal Lightworks folder (regarding my previous question, would simply copying it be enough?), is there anything else you'd suggest I do to safeguard my projects?

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 5 days ago #187746

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 days ago
Ambientologist wrote:
Would copying the (internal hard drive) Lightworks folder to a backup drive serve the same purpose?

If you do it right and include all what's needed, yes, but Time Machine, same as most other dedicated backup systems, keeps versions, incremental or differential backups, some have options to validate the written data by re-eading and comparing with the sources. You don't have all that with manual copies. In general, for regular backups of the system drive manual copy isn't a good solution.

Just to make sure: Before reformating your external hard drive, copy the entire content to a safe place.

Edit: I missed your latest post while typing. The last note is now obvioulsy obsolete.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 5 days ago by hugly.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 4 days, 23 hours ago #187749

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 4 days, 23 hours ago
hugly wrote:
Edit: I missed your latest post while typing. The last note is now obvioulsy obsolete.

Thanks for your thorough comments nevertheless, much appreciated!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top