Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive)

Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187635

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone

Since updating my Mac OS to Mojave, it appears the hard drive I have all my Lightworks work on no longer allows me to write it. [It says I have write permission, and that 'staff' and 'everyone', but when I try and change anything about the permissions, it tells me I don't have permission to!] Bit of a pain but I'm thinking I'll copy everything off onto my other external drive, reformat the original, and then transfer back.

Before I do reformat, and potentially lose everything, I just wanted to double check I'd be able to pick up where I left off without issue. Will I have to do anything like locate all the files, sequences, etc. or should it be pretty seamless?

And if anyone has had a similar issue with hard drives, let me know if you know if a workaround!

Cheers

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187645

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Well it's way too long since I've had to deal with the fruity computer for me to be anything like expert on this, but if you copy everything off that drive, reformat it, then restore everything to it, then yes, in principle it should work. I can't see any reason why it won't.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187654

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello,

I run High Sierra on my MacBook Air, so this is a bit of guessing: Mojave is brand new, it implements new security and privacy features. I'm not sure if Lightworks (and other software) is tested well on Mojave yet, and I can imagine that the problems regarding access permission can't be fixed just by reformatting the drive.

Apple forums might be a better place to ask.

As a matter of interest, Lightworks user folder is by default on ~/Lightworks, do you say you don't have write permissions to you Home directory anymore?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 9 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187658

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks both. I suppose this is more of an Apple question, but I've always had such friendly and prompt responses on here so it was my first port of call

And to answer your question, hugly, I do everything from the external hard drive. I don't have enough space on my internal for more than 20Gb or so of stuff, and I didn't want to encounter issues later down the line if I switched from internal to external. Thought it'd be better to just keep it all contained within the external hard drive. Hopefully I won't be needing to eat my hat any time soon...

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187659

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Lightworks projects, which represent all metadata defining the projects, are stored in the folder ~/Lightworks/Projects (the tilde stands for your home directory). Projects folder isn't moveable with the Free version, at least not from within Lightworks and not without OS hacks. Do I understand correctly that you have moved your home folder to an external hard drive?

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187666

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
I'm pretty sure that's what I did, but I'll have to double check when I'm home. All I know is that whatever I did, opening Lightworks without my HDD connected makes a a certain selection of projects available on the landing page, whereas this is different when my HDD is connected. I could be wrong, but up until this point I've assumed that Lightworks makes all projects stored on my HDD available when it's connected.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187669

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
If true, that sounds as if you have spannded a logical volume over multiple physical hard drives. Apple calls this Logical Volume Group and it's part of their Core Storage concept invented with OSX Lion, as far as I can read. I wasn't even aware that this works with external drives. If one of your physical drives in the Logical Volume Group is going do to die now you are in serious trouble not only with Lightworks. Make a system backup of the complete volume as soon as possible but with all physical drives attached.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187672

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Oh dear. Thankfully the only thing I've used the drive for (that I care about) is Lightworks, but this does sound worrying.

But, if the reformatted drive ends up with the same name and location, will it not resume as part of the logical volume group as before? I appreciate you are just looking into this yourself. Last night I copied my whole Lightworks folder onto a separate external hard drive, do you think this will preserve it well enough?

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187673

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
If that is a logical volume indeed, you can't manage on which physical drive what data is stored and again, it is not possible to move Lightworks folder which contains the projects away from your home directory with Lightworks free. Configuring a shared Volume doesn't change this. You can move internal media locations and linked media to other volumes, but even then, if it's a logical volume spanned over multiple phisical devices, only your operating system knows where the data is physically placed on.

Because I don't use any kind of self configured shared logical volumes on any systems I can't give any further advice on this. I'd suggest contacting Apple forums, or maybe better, your local Apple service center.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187674

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Interesting. Again, I'll double check soon that my projects definitely don't show when my external drive is disconnected, and if they don't, I guess we'll know that it's been used as a logical volume.

Then, I just pray that reformatting the drive and copying everything back to it exactly the way it was is enough for it to continue as normal (after recognising the pathway in the same way).

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187678

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Of Appel I have no idea,
but maybe the probably general Lightworks functionality is also interesting?:

When I rename the Lightworks folder (which contains the projects, settings, etc.) in Windows, Lightworks automatically creates a new folder.
Of course, this new folder does not contain your old projects, and so on, but it shows the flexibility of Lightworks:
So I can create multiple Lightworks folders and rename them between them.
I may exchange or copy the content, or parts thereof.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The prerequisite is, of course, that Lightworks and I have the access rights to the default path used by Lightworks.

If I deny Lightworks the write access to the existing Lightworks folder, then I get an error message.
If there is no Lightworks folder in the default path, and Lightworks can not create a new folder because of a lack of access to it, Lightworks does not open at all (I do not receive an error message).

Whether you need to consider additional media locations on different paths depends on your configuration and your media management.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 9 months, 2 weeks ago by schrauber.

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187679

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Just to prevent misunderstandings:

We're talking about the Lightworks folder, which contains these subfolders and files:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

The subfolder called "Projects" alone is insufficient.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187701

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
IIRC, there was a way to change folder & file permissions in the Finder. Sadly, I switched to Windows well over a year ago, and now I can't remember how it's done. and it may have changed, with Mojave.

BTW, how is the drive formatted. If it's not formatted as HFS+ (the native format for Mac OS), then you may need a separate software driver to write to it.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187711

• Ambientologist
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your continued support everyone. I will check how the drives are currently formatted later tonight, but as I've never consciously reformatted my Mac's drive I imagine it's still HFS+.

I did check this morning regarding opening Lightworks without my external drive connected. Everything was there! No idea where I got the idea that it was different without it connected, but I tried playing a project quickly and everything seemed to be in order (had to run off to work before I could look too deeply into it).

What, then, will be saving to my internal drive assuming I import all files from, and save all archives to, my external one?

Re: Transferring Entire Projects Folder (to reformat hard drive) 9 months, 2 weeks ago #187724

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 9 months, 2 weeks ago
That's good news. It means, most likely, that you haven't created a logical volume with the external hard drive included.

Lightworks media and project management is quite flexible, three different import methods (Create Link, Copy Local, Transcode), a freely definable internal media space which can span across multiple locations, internal proxies which are always stored internally and, multiple shared project spaces with freely definable locations on top with the Pro version. On the other hand, great flexibility puts by nature complextity on the decision how to organize locations, backups and archives depending on personal needs. In other words, without knowing more about your needs, resources and the way you organize, import and backup your data currently, it's impossible to give some meaningful advice.

Personally, I prefer keeping things simple and safe. I work mainly with default media and project locations and import everything via create link (which keeps the media space small, that's good for backups). I use one physical drive for sources, exports and archives and a second one exclusively for backups. Folder structure for linked media represents, in most cases, project structure (one parent folder per project).

This video tutorial gives an overview of the capabilities:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top