Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help needed with ShuttlePro v2

Help needed with ShuttlePro v2 1 week, 2 days ago #187459

• tuurelinden
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Last year I wrote here about my old friend who used an old 486-based Lightworks Workstation from the 1990s until it finally broke down in 2017. I built him a budget machine based on used HP i5 Workstation 8GB of RAM, 2TB of hard drive and an integrated graphics running 64-bit Windows 7 to able him to finnish his unfinished projects. Now he decided to buy an outright license for Lightworks 14.5 because his one year license for version 14.0 expired. He works with SD video digitized from old DVCPRO tapes so the integrated graphics hasn't been a problem.

I haven't been able to get his old Lightworks gen 1 console to work with the new hardware, so my friend was very happy to receive a new ShuttlePro with his purchase. However there are problems... I installed the ShuttlePro today and updated his Lightworks to 14.5. I downloaded the device drivers and installed them and Lightworks detected the device. BUT it doesn't work properly at all. Using the configuration utility I checked that everything should be OK, but no... When using with Lightworks the device becomes unresponsive, the buttons don't do anything. And the jog wheel doesn't work like it's supposed to. When turning it anti clockwise the video should play reversed on a variable speed depending on how much the wheel is turned. It doesn't do that, sometimes the video might go a frame or two backwards but that's it.

I'm clueless... Are there any known problems with the ShuttlePro and perhaps with its drivers? Or is the computer hardware to slow for the decive to operate properly? I also tried multiple different USB ports but the situation remains the same.

I brought the device home with me and I'm goingo to test it with my own computers. The only problem is that I don't have a pro license for Lightworks. I'm not sure if that hinders me from testing it... But I'll wait for your answers first.

Re: Help needed with ShuttlePro v2 1 week, 2 days ago #187463

• tuurelinden
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
And I already tested... ShuttlePro works with the free vesion of Lightworks. BUT I'm having the same problems. So could this ShuttlePro unit be faulty or is its default configuration for Lightworks completely wrong? The jog wheel behaves exactly the same as it did on my friend's computer. It should work like the Lightworks console, right?

If this is only a configuration issue, could someone help me making the correct configuration options?

Re: Help needed with ShuttlePro v2 1 week, 2 days ago #187466

• tuurelinden
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
How stupid of me! Editshare had a Youtube video that show how to import the ShuttlePro settings to Lightworks. After that everything works fine! I should have looked the answer from youtube, not from Lightworks PDF manuals...

Re: Help needed with ShuttlePro v2 1 week, 2 days ago #187469

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by briandrys.

Re: Help needed with ShuttlePro v2 1 week, 2 days ago #187477

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 week, 2 days ago
Reading back through my earlier post about the console, if you were using an RS-422 card you had balanced data lines, unlike RS-232 which is unbalanced. To add to the confusion there appear to be several pinout "standards" for RS-422 on a DB-9 connector.

In one that I found pin 2 was Rx- and pin 6 Rx+. However a second had pin 1 as Tx- and pin 2, Tx+. Similarly, the first had Tx+ on 3 and Tx- on 7, with the second using 3 for Rx+ and 4 for Rx-. Finally, CTS is undefined in one but assigned to 8 (positive) and 9 (negative) in the other. The one that didn't have CTS assigned had DCD- instead on pin 8 and DCD+ on pin 1.

With an RS-232 DB-9 connector pin 2 is always RxD, TxD is always on 3 and CTS is only ever on pin 8. So it's highly likely that if you were attempting to drive the console with an RS-422 card that you had the wrong pinouts, or worse, a data line that you needed was completely missing.

For what it's worth, my Mk I console is still doing good service. I wouldn't be without it. And because it's permanently powered up, I seldom need to use the RTCS utility.
Last Edit: 1 week, 2 days ago by jwrl.

Re: Help needed with ShuttlePro v2 1 week, 1 day ago #187503

• tuurelinden
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 week, 1 day ago
The problem has been that I haven't had the time. I made a RS-232 cable for the old console and it didn't work. There was something wrong and I never had the time to figure out what and try again.

The bigger problem has been with the DVCPRO tape deck and it's remote control via Lightworks. I bought an expensive RS-422 card for many hundreds of euros and haven't been able to make a working cable betweeen the deck and the card. And I haven't made my friend to pay for the card because the setup doesn't work. So I have money invested in that I would be happy to get back some day. He has been able to carry out his projects without the console and the remote but I should try to find out a way to get them eventually working... He will buy a newer camera and DVCPRO projects will eventually be over but before that the working remote connection would help.

The ShuttlePro is a bonus: it came "for free" with the license, so he'll be happy to be able to used it unti I'll hopefully get the real console working some day. I suspected that the problem was a wrong resistance of the cable I was using or something similar - I made the cable according to jwrl's intructions but used an used display cable from some old unstandard hadrware because it had the suitable connector in the other end.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.38 seconds
Scroll To Top