Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upgrading LWKS – what happens to existing projects?

Upgrading LWKS – what happens to existing projects? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #187181

• SchwobaSeggl
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Hi there,

I couldn't find an answer to this here in the forum. If there is one, please point me to it.

I run LWKS 14.1 on Linux (kxStudio/Kubuntu 16.04), and so far, I am happy. However, there are a few glitches sometimes, and I think most of them are known to the developers already. Meanwhile 14.5 is available and I wonder: should I upgrade? While this is probably easily done, since LWKS is really easy to install on Linux (insert applause here!)... the question is: what will happen to existing projects? Will they simply continue working?

I do a lot of live recordings of music for a venue, so I got plenty of open projects laying around, stuck in coordination with artists etc. - so it is virtually impossible to finish things and have a new start.

Best
Schwob
kxStudio/Ubuntu Linux user, audio guy doing live mixdown and recording, long-time Ardour user. Now getting into video with LWKS.

Re: Upgrading LWKS – what happens to existing projects? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #187182

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
When you upgrade nothing will happen to your existing projects. V14.1 is an early beta, ir's not a release version of Lightworks (V14.00 was the previous release), so it has possible bug and issues found in a beta intended for testing.

V14,5 is the end result of V14.1, the number got changed when variable frame rates were added to the feature list.

If you're worried, as a Pro user mid project, you can install V14.5 in a separate folder in your program directory and run both. How that works in Linux, I don't know. It's pretty easy in Windows.
Last Edit: 2 weeks, 1 day ago by briandrys.

Re: Upgrading LWKS – what happens to existing projects? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #187185

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Hello,

As far as I know, installing more than one version of Lightworks side by side works on Windows and OSX, but it does not on Linux.

As briandrys said, upgrading from V14.1 beta to V14.5 release will do no harm to your existing projects and settings.

I don't know if it still applies, but some time ago it was recommended for Linux to uninstall the existing version prior to installing the new. Uninstalling will do no harm to your projects and settings either.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Upgrading LWKS – what happens to existing projects? 2 weeks, 1 day ago #187186

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Saying this, I should mention that I use this command line to uninstall Lightworks on Linux Mint and Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get purge lightworks
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds
Scroll To Top