• Page:

TOPIC: Worth boosting RAM? Or wait?

Worth boosting RAM? Or wait? 2 weeks, 6 days ago #186921

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Expert Boarder
  • Narratives in a Digital Age.
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
I am using Lightworks on a desktop running Ubuntu 18.04 with 16 gigs of RAM, editing HD footage. I got a 4 gig graphics card and a quadcore CPU that caps at 4.2 Ghz. I have the opportunity to upgrade RAM to 32G, but am not sure if it is worth it. Someone mentioned that if I get it, I will just have more unused RAM, but someone else says, "extra RAM must always improve performance as Linux uses most of free RAM for buffers".

More RAM for my machine is expensive, but will get it if it will help with Lightworks/editing.

Any thoughts?
Narratives in a Digital Age.

Re: Worth boosting RAM? Or wait? 2 weeks, 6 days ago #186924

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 weeks, 6 days ago
How RAM is used (allocated/freed) depends mainly on the application on all operating systems.

From what I see here with material up to 4K on Windows, additional RAM above 16 GB doesn't have any noticeable impact on performance of Lightwork. Proxies have the highest impact on whatever system to cure performance problems with demanding footage or sequences.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Worth boosting RAM? Or wait? 2 weeks, 5 days ago #186964

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 2 weeks, 5 days ago
Here are Videoguys recommendations for video editing systems: www.videoguys.com/system-recommendations

16 GB appears to be a sweet spot, unless you've got an appropriate system. A professional editor friend, who works on TV dramas with lots of effects, uses proxies all the time, so there's nothing wrong with using them.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top