• Page:

TOPIC: Newbie, GPU advice

Newbie, GPU advice 2 months ago #184139

• natevans
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hi All,

This has probably been asked many times but tech moves on and things might have changed.

I am about to purchase the full licence, my PC (windows 7) is of high spec, i use it for music production but never graphics. It's got a twin Xeon CPU, SDD, 24 GB RAM, etc.. I had a look at what LWKS recommend on GPU's and they are a bit pricey, thanks to all the crypto miners....!!

What is the best GPU for the price that will be supported by LWKS - i'm not a gamer, just want it for video production.

Many thanks.

Re: Newbie, GPU advice 2 months ago #184143

• natevans
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 2 months ago
BTW - I was looking at this card, but not sure if it will cause me issues with the software :

Asus Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 2GB Passive Low Profile Graphics Card (£80)

Re: Newbie, GPU advice 2 months ago #184145

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 months ago
Hello,

GPU used for display and effects, all the rest, in particular file I/O, decoding/encoding and the user interface are done by CPU. Consequently, most bottlenecks reported on this forum are caused by CPU or very slow hard drives. GT 1030 will work, but personally I'd suggest current 75 Watt GPUs (e.g. GTX 1080 TI, which I use) and above, with 4GB of VRAM if you plan using 4K material.

Please note: Some members have reported that on Linux OS AMD graphics and even Intel onboard graphics perform better than comparable NVidia cards. That might be a driver issue.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 2 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top