Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks and Centos7?

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183171

Actually, Resolve 15 finally has integrated audio support on Linux!!!
Live your life one frame at a time

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
48GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183178

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
By spreaded word or tested under real world conditions, on which distros?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183183

• funbun
  • Pro User
  • Senior Boarder
  • I like air planes.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Micah, if that's the case, then that solves it for me! BMPCC 4k it is! I'd run CentoOS on one hard drive then Linux Mint on another. I always run dual Linux systems anyway for backup purposes.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183187

Great! It was part of the official press release.

I know a few guys who've ran it on Antergos, CentOS, and Ubuntu. I am having a hard time getting it to install right on Fedora KDE, due to GFX drivers. I'm probably going to switch to CentOS in the near future and even go ahead and just install BMD's official CentOS release. I'm getting tired of Fedora's short life cycle anyway!

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183267

• DigitalRazor
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Pending on the graphics drivers and cards used.. I have had no issues running both Lightworks and Davinci Resolve with no issues at all.

After a lot of trial and error ( and some rookie mistakes ) I was able to install most of what I needed with the need to download only a couple RPMs that didn't come with the install.

Granted I am using some (old) hot hardware ( ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Dual 12 core 64gigs of ram and a crap tonne of storage) the audio worked out of the box ( on the on board audio device --> digital optical out ) programs are snappy... no need to dual boot.

I did try ubuntu or Debian like distros at first to have audio issues with Resolve but no issues with Lightworks.. I might give it a shot again down the line but really have no need since I have what I need/desire..

be warned .. I would go get a fresh Centos7.5 ( build number 18xx).

Again ( possible rookie mistake ) I was able to corrupt my OS doing updates and such but after a 7.5 install .. smooth as silk.

One of my off prem test systems has an (super) old ATI running on a quad core socket 1366 and have zero issues...

Wish you all happy editing and color correcting...

PEACE
System 1
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
Dual E5-2697V2
64 GIG
GTX 1080TI 11 GIG Primary display
GTX 1080TI 11 GIG GPU Compute ( Resolve )
CentOS 7.6
Davinci Resolve

System 2
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
Dual E5-2690V2
32 GIG
nVidia Quadro M4000 8gig Primary Display
Ubuntu 18.04.1 (w/ KXStudio overlay)
BMD Decklink 4K 12G Extreme
BMD Decklink Quad 2
LightWorks/OBS/Mixbus/Bitwig/Reaper/Fusion/Natron/Blender

Test System 1
Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
32 GIG
Dual E5-2640V2
Bitwig/Mixbus

Test System Remote
HPZ400
12 GIG
W3520
FirePro V5700
CentOS 7.5
Lightworks

Test System II On Prem
Supermicro X10DAT
16gig
Dual Boot
Ubuntu/Centos7.6

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183277

Awesome!! And you said the distro both are running smooth on is CentOS?!

It would make sense, that really is the standard distro in the video/movie industry!

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183279

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
You say you are using CentOS with older hardware, with particular mention of a legacy graphics card, which means you are probably running a legacy radeon driver instead of AMD GPU PRO. Installing Lightworks does bring in dependencies, so it makes sense if things work better on older hardware. CentOS is not known for having newer software so older machines running CentOS 7 and attendant proprietary software like Resolve and Lightworks. So we can say that Nvidea hardware and legacy AMD ATI hard/software can run both programs on CentOS---if I am reading all this correctly.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183414

• DigitalRazor
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
You read correctly... I dont have a new(ish) card on hand but if someone is willing to donate one for me to test I can do it with the quickness.. But my experience with CentOS so far with both Resolve and Lightworks are very positive and I have it currently running on a prod system at my home studio. Reading other forums regarding anything Radeon(AMD) has been a mixed bag.. ~BUT that don't mean it wont work. even with my "TeamGreen" set up I still had to be careful on how I installed stuff once I got a good feeling for it: it worked ( and still works ) solid as a tank.

~Take this as tounge and cheek... I am a fan of the Debian distros .. however at work I do use RHEL based distros and to be honest I have adopted the "Linux is Linux" attitude but I am careful with that for the fact that even though I did get Resolve to install on an Ubuntu system it wasn't the best experience. I am sure with a little more hair pulling and pleading to the Programing Gurus I would have found a solution but a looming deadline forced the issue... and guess what ? Audio? worked Black Magic Design Cards.. Worked , Firmware update ? Flawless, Lightworks? ( to be honest ran snappier on CentOS so I "pulled the plug" and pushed everything there.. I have my content management box ( which is Ubuntu) running Lightworks and it is fine. but I have leaned more on my CentOS box more and more when I want to get stuff done.

Very true: RHEL based distros are NOT known for cutting edge.. ( hence 'Enterprise Linux" it is built for stability.) some RPMS are not in the repositories and just like any other distro you have to add them from time to time or download an RPM or two to solve dependencies that a 'yum' command with the default repos just don't get the job done.

But my offer still stands.. if someone has a current gen card ( cheap that they can spare ) for a test. I can sus out what is needed to work and post it for those that are frustrated and running into similar issues as laid out here. I currently have 4 builds that I must get done so my discresionary funds for buying test hardware is rather limited. But if things look up I will look for a vega based card and give it a go ( oh By the way OpenCL will be your friend in the long run.)

PEACE!
System 1
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
Dual E5-2697V2
64 GIG
GTX 1080TI 11 GIG Primary display
GTX 1080TI 11 GIG GPU Compute ( Resolve )
CentOS 7.6
Davinci Resolve

System 2
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
Dual E5-2690V2
32 GIG
nVidia Quadro M4000 8gig Primary Display
BMD Decklink 4K 12G Extreme
BMD Decklink Quad 2
LightWorks/OBS/Mixbus/Bitwig/Reaper/Fusion/Natron/Blender

Test System 1
Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
32 GIG
Dual E5-2640V2
Bitwig/Mixbus

Test System Remote
HPZ400
12 GIG
W3520
FirePro V5700
CentOS 7.5
Lightworks

Test System II On Prem
Supermicro X10DAT
16gig
Dual Boot
Ubuntu/Centos7.6

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183555

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
I downloaded the Lightworks beta version for Ubuntu 18.04 and it installed and ran a-okay. I could not sign in, because the software thought I was still on Windows. I had to email Jakub at Lightworks and he set me right. (Thanks Jakub)

Ubuntu runs much better and more stable than CentOS. Goodbye Win-doze.

I will let you know how deeper use works out. But am thrilled to get Lightworks (beta) running on Linux with AMD GPU PRO.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183558

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Would be interesting to hear if/how BM Resolve works on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, in particular if recommended NVidia GPU isn't present.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183569

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
"Would be interesting to hear if/how BM Resolve works on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, in particular if recommended NVidia GPU isn't present."

I tried various times the different beta versions and gave up on it. and if i remember right error messages regarding the absence of Nvidia was one of the things. but nevertheless in the official release version things could be different...

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183586

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Moderated by jwrl: This post has been removed because of a breach of the unsubstantiated and nonconstructive criticism clause and offensive language use. Under the terms of use of these forums you must not do either. The clauses are:

Unsubstantiated and nonconstructive criticism

You must not make unsubstantiated claims or otherwise speak negatively about Lightworks or any other manufacturer's product without substantiating your comment. For example, if you think that a product is “unusable”, then you must say how it is unusable, for you, in your context.

Language and content

The Forum and Community are available worldwide, and have a very large number of users, young and old, and from widely different cultural backgrounds. Please be mindful of this. We will edit posts that we consider inappropriate. We have to ensure that language and content is appropriate for a very wide range of users.
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183589

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Lightworks Stable did not work on Ubuntu and the idea of running a beta version for work-related projects does not inspire confidence, but who knows. Maybe the experience will be a pleasant surprise. Am not going to jump into Resolve just yet. Getting Lightworks running is already a big deal.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183594

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Just consider V14.5 RC 11 to be the current stable release and V14.0 the last beta. In fact, Bionic Beaver stable has been officially released long after V14.0 release date which explains the issues. Not V14.0 has been updated, but the existing problems have been fixed with V14.5.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #183598

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
totally true, use the last beta and try nothing else...
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds
Scroll To Top