Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightworks and Centos7?

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182729

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
FathomStory wrote:
And Lightworks does. not. work. on. Ubuntu.

It. certainly. did. when. last. I. tried. And on Mint, which as you doubtless know is very similar to Ubuntu.

FathomStory wrote:
As for AMD (on Winblows), I tried both new, beta, and older drivers. Same results--the blue screen of death.

I've been using Lightworks on a range of Windows installs over the years with a range of hardware configurations and have never seen a BSOD. I'm currently using W10 with a Quadro K2200 but I have used AMD GPUs in the past - don't have one now to test - and on my current system Lightworks 12.6, 14.0, 14.1 (unreleased, all versions) and 14.5 (all betas and RCs) are all stable. And trust me, with the effects development work that I do, if anything was going to break Lightworks I would have had it happen.

Given that you're seeing stability issues with both Resolve and Lightworks it suggests a flaky system rather than flaky software. Is it possible that you have flaky memory, for example? That has been a major contributor to BSODs and other OS stability issues.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182732

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year ago
@hugley

My intention at this point is to try the paid Linux's and see if I can get both a video editor and color grade software running. So edit in Lightworks and export in a format Resolve accepts and finesse with that. Not exactly asking for the moon, but close. Maybe if I get a support package, it can happen.

@jwrl

Yep, I ran a memtest on my machine. It passed. My CPU runs at 42 degrees. You have Nvidea hardware? Awesome. Lightworks in Linux with Nvidea seems optimized for that. The people on the CentOS channel took a close look at the software libraries required and the commented, "those are Nvidea libraries". And Ubuntu with Nvidea hardware works great for you? Awesome! (that's a NICE card you have too) The next card I get may need to be professional grade with support. I was close to getting one, then the bitcoin craze hit and prices took off...

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182733

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
Ah, yes, bitcoin.

I have the Quadro because other edit software that I use required it in the past. But you don't have to have a Quadro. A good modern gaming card with decent memory should do nicely. If I was setting up a new system that's what I would do - either AMD or Nvidia should be fine.

When I was looking around at the start of the year, I was seriously interested in MSI's GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G with 8GB of DDR5 memory. I dare say there are other more recent chipsets out there that would out perform that - at a price! But the real point is that your display card shouldn't be a problem. My understanding is that Lightworks supports both Nvidia and AMD cards. Here's what the tech specs have to say on the matter.

Tech Specs
One of the most important aspects for a system to run Lightworks is the graphics card. Although we support both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards, we strongly recommend NVIDIA as the graphics card of choice, for anyone wishing to get the most out of Lightworks. We have recently approved the latest NVIDIA cards K1200, K2200, K4200 and K5200. These cards show exceptional performance when used with Lightworks on Windows or Linux and we are proud to recommend them to our users

I interpret that to mean that the cards they mention have been tested, but aren't the only cards that you can use. They specifically state "we support both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards" - you can't get more definite than that.
Last Edit: 1 year ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182734

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
Just checked the links in the tech specs. There are instructions for installing/enabling Nvidia and ATI drivers for Mint and Ubuntu, and installing Nvidia drivers on Fedora.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182736

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year ago
Anything on AMD GPU PRO for Fedora? When I look up my graphics card, the only supported distros for it are Ubuntu, CentOS, and the paid linux (RHEL AND SEL). Fedora not so much.

I almost got a radeon pro card and the price was good and just when I was about to get it, the price went up. I had to get something, so I went with the card I did.

Anyway, people are saying good things about the paid Linux distros and Lightwoks and since AMD supports the drivers on them, I'll give it a whirl.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182738

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 1 year ago
The only issue that has come up with graphics cards and Linux in general is not to use open source drivers, use the proprietary ones.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182748

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
to graphics cards a general thing i experienced on linux: the os works better and easier mostly with AMD cards or intel onboard chips on my computers than with nvidia. Lightworks works great with linux mint (ubuntu)[and for a lot of folks on manjaro , which is a great distro]. resolve needs nvidia so no chance to install that on my os (running a amd rx 480).
there is a .deb wrapper for resolve you can try that for installing resolve on debian / ubuntu machines.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182749

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year ago
@kalimerox Hmm, Manjaro Linux is not mentioned by AMD as a supported distro, but that does not mean that the driver cannot be installed. If there is a good enough dev, why not?

As for the wrapper for a .deb, wow! Got a link? I can look into that.

I could try Lightworks in Ubuntu, I would just have to dig through error logs, send bug reports and all that. Be a good citizen. If my machine has issues, then others probably do and can help break that barrrier

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182750

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
@FathomStory

If you have some time, you can give a try Manjaro with opensource AMDGPU driver. It should work "out of the box".

The advantage over other distros comes from very fresh mesa/gl/cl/kernel modules (drivers). This should give you better support for any hardware. You said you had problems with your hardware, so maybe Manjaro would handle it better.

----

Manjaro is Arch-based distro, but with kernel(s) optimized for desktop PCs and more stable than Arch. It has two steps of quality control - unstable stage and testing stage. As a regular user you will have stable repository enabled by default. So you should not get into troubles. But please bear in mind that there is no guarantee - this is a distro created by community.

You can also try switching gpu driver to the proprietary AMDGPU PRO using graphical tool (Manjaro Settings -> Hardware configuration). But I would not recommend it, because proprietary blobs can cause troubles during system updates.

Months ago I was using laptop with quite old AMD/ATI card and Lightworks was very fast. It worked well on Manjaro opensource drivers ("radeon" module).

Good luck!
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182780

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
www.linuxuprising.com/2018/06/how-to-install-davinci-resolve-15-in.html

there was also in the resolve linux beta forum usually posts about the wrapper.. cant find it right now , maybe the endless thread got removed after launching resolve 15 finally..

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182781

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year ago
The article linked to by kalimerox says it, but can anybody who uses Resolve 15 on Linux confirm that the limitations to Nvidia GPU and drivers, and missing h.264 support (for the free version of Resolve) still exists with Resolve V15 final in practice?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182794

I have two instances of Lightwroks running on Centos7 ... one with nVidia cards and one with a rather delapidated ATI card and have no issues running them. To be fair I have not tried the newest Vega cards or cards listed here but I solved my dependancies using this link:

rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libCg.so()(64bit)

and downloading this rpm:
rpmfind.net/linux/rpmfusion/nonfree/el/updates/6/x86_64/libCg-3.1.0013-2.el6.x86_64.rpm

you may have other dependencies unmet depending on how and how much of Centos7 you installed. I ran in to this issue back in the 12.5 days ~there is a post on this forum regarding that as well.. if there is something I missed please let me know and I may be able to get some hardware to test it out. but That was my goto fix .

Best Regards
System 1
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
Dual E5-2697V2
64 GIG
GTX 1080TI 11 GIG Primary display
GTX 1080TI 11 GIG GPU Compute ( Resolve )
CentOS 7.6
Davinci Resolve

System 2
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
Dual E5-2690V2
32 GIG
nVidia Quadro M4000 8gig Primary Display
Ubuntu 18.04.1 (w/ KXStudio overlay)
BMD Decklink 4K 12G Extreme
BMD Decklink Quad 2
LightWorks/OBS/Mixbus/Bitwig/Reaper/Fusion/Natron/Blender

Test System 1
Gigabyte GA-7PESH2
32 GIG
Dual E5-2640V2
Ubuntu 18.04.1 (w/ KXStudio overlay)
Bitwig/Mixbus

Test System Remote
HPZ400
12 GIG
W3520
FirePro V5700
CentOS 7.5
Lightworks

Test System II On Prem
Supermicro X10DAT
16gig
Dual Boot
Ubuntu/Centos7.6

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182934

arniepix wrote:
I've heard of people successfully running Resolve on Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora, I don't know if this holds true for current releases.

I run Fedora on both my laptop and desktop workstations (Both with Lightworks Pro) I also would LOVE to have Resolve as well! But I'm also having issues with drivers not letting the application run! Lightworks just works so easily out of the box on Linux (THANK YOU LIGHTWORKS ENGINEERS!!!) But if anyone has any tips on installing Resolve on Fedora I would definitely appreciate it! I mostly want Resolve for it's color grading tools.
Live your life one frame at a time

Desktop:
Ubuntu 18.04
i7 6800K
NVIDIA GTX 1060
48GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4
ASUS X99-E Motherboard

Laptop:
Dell Precision M4700
CentOS 7.6
Intel i7 3840QM
NVIDIA Quadro K2000m
16gb RAM

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #182950

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year ago
Nvidea hardware. I think I see a pattern...

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year ago #183148

• funbun
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • I like air planes.
  • 1 year ago
Let me ask: What will you do about audio? As I understand there is no audio support in Resolve on Lunix/CentOS without their $500+ hardware solution. This is the one thing holding me back from buying the new pocket cinema camera.

I'd rather stick with lwks, but the Pocket is $1295. Obviously that $295 is the cost of Resolve.
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds
Scroll To Top