TOPIC: Lightworks and Centos7?

Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182693

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Hello,

I installed Centos7 to get DaVinci Resolve. It is the only supported distribution by BlackMagic (makers of Resolve).

I was wondering if I could also get Lightworks fired up on it too. I tried, but got messages about not having Libcggl libraries to facilitate the install.

On Windows, Resolve is unstable and launching Lightworks just gives me the Blue Screen of Death (for the first time ever since I got my computer).

CPU: AMD 880K 4Ghz, quadcore (overclocks to 4.2)
RAM: 16 gigs DDR3
Drives: SSD
Graphics card: ATI RX 560 (4 gigs ddr5 graphics)
Driver: AMD GPU PRO

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182694

• gr00by
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Hi.

Personally I'd not to use Centos on a desktop pc. But I know it is "required" by Resolve. But this is my opinion.

I think you have three options, depending on your needs:

1. use Centos for Resolve, but use other OS/other machine for Lightworks
2. stay with Centos and make Lightworks working on it (try latest beta, try installing manually missing libs)
3. switch to other operating system and try to run both on it.

I'm using Lightworks mostly, so I've decided to have OS/hardware compatible with it. Personally I like Manjaro OS, which is a rolling release system (continuously updating, no LTS releases here), which gives me fresh and stable environment. It is not supported officially by EditShare, but Lightworks works stable on it. And there is a possibility to run Resolve. I removed Resolve months ago, so I can't say is it still working.

For Centos7 please look at www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=217&id=84438&Itemid=81#98078 - maybe this will help you somehow.

BR,
Marcin
Canon C100 -- Manjaro Linux User

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182698

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Hey,

That thread you posted is old. The CentOS channel said that the Lightworks specs are geared to Nvidia, not ATI. The required "Libcggl" library is for Nvidea, so my machine cannot even use it.

Also, Resolve, as beautifully as it works, does not accept my camera codec, H264.

There does not seem to be an OS (for me) where both programs can co-exist. Windows, as I mentioned, programs not stable on my hardware. Crashes are frequent.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182699

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
My own limited experience with CentOS was that it was very easy to break if I installed the Nvidia driver incorrectly, and it was very easy to install that driver incorrectly.

I've heard of people successfully running Resolve on Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora, I don't know if this holds true for current releases.

Since Lightworks doesn't require Cuda drivers for Nvidia, it should not be as finicky about the drivers as Resolve can be, and quite a few people here have been running Lightworks on a variety of Linux distros.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182701

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Just a side note to express my personal view: If Windows runs not stable on your machine, something's wrong with your machine, because Windows runs on any piece of existing PC hardware (even on machines with Bill Gates most hated fruit in their logos), if they wouldn't, the manufacturers would have disappeared, as so many did in the past, due to bankruptcy.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182704

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
@Hugly

The programs do not run stable on Windows. Windows will run fine if I do not install the programs though.

So Resolve crashes at least twice per session. Not so bad, I can handle that. But I have also started to lose saved files and that is not acceptable.

As for Lightworks, the first time I ran that program gave me the blue screen of death. I rebooted and tried again and each time I got the BSOD. I had to reinstall Windows, so scratch that.

For what it is worth, Vegas Pro worked nicely, but there were no good colorgrade tools. Nor could I export the XML into Resolve to edit in one and grade into the other. The tutorials on Lynda.com even mentioned that I would need to rebuild the project sometimes in Resolve if I edit elsewhere. For me, that is not acceptable either. I could buy a plugin for Vegas Pro, but those are priced out of my budget.

Premiere Pro has issues with some of my camera codecs, and am not sure the XML will work if I import it into Resolve.

I cannot afford Avid or GrassValley...I think that clears off a lot of options.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182708

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
A lot of problems to be solved, preferably during long winter's nights.

What makes you believe that Resolve on CentOS won't lose saved files?

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182710

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
@hugly, for one thing, Resolve did not crash once. A major cause of crashes was switching panels. Like moving from edit to audio-edit panel. It loaded fast and felt pretty robust.

Mind you, it is also useless to me because it does not accept my camera codec (h264)! On Windows, yes. Linux, no. And it is an official "no" from Blackmagic. Not a glitch.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182711

• lghtwrks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
lwks on centos would be very nice
as most prof. sw also runs on red hat.
s

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182712

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Ah ok, from your initial post I assumed that the reason for trying to run Lightworks on CentOS was that Resolve is running well there and you wish to run both apps on one OS. h.264 would be easily transcodable to a well supported format, so I thought that isn't a major issue.

But, if Resolve is useless to you on CentOS, why running Lightworks there?

By the way, it could be that Lightworks crashes on Windows on your system due to some known issue with recent AMD drivers and supporting software.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182715

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
hugly,

Yeah, the dream workflow was to edit in Lighworks and export to Resolve. It turns out I was asking for too much. I get one or the other, but cannot have both.

As for AMD (on Winblows), I tried both new, beta, and older drivers. Same results--the blue screen of death.

Transcoding, that makes sense. But you see, I have no space. Each SSD has a separate project (filling the drives nicely) and the back up drives have little space beyond storing back ups of the original source material. I can not mess with that. Which means go out and buy a massive monster drive and re-encode all my projects...and then back those up.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182717

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Give downgrading to driver version 17.4.4 a try. Unistall current driver before installing the older version. Please see: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=21&id=160077&limit=15&limitstart=30&Itemid=81#176026
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182719

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
I think two install of Windows in the last couple of days are enough. I am not aiming for a third, my nerves are already frayed. Also, I find that most programs that are important to me do not work well on Windows. Like I also use a DAW called Harrison Mixbus. That program is a nightmare on Windows but smooth on Linux. And then Resolve gave me a taste of stability...it's like eating authentic Mexican food after Taco Bell. You cannot compare the two experiences. If I run Lightworks, it will have to be re-installing, getting Fedora or whathaveyou and I bet it will smoke any windows experience I can get.

Anyway, am going for a walk.

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182727

• FathomStory
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • Done with Lightworks.
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Oh yeah, now I remember. Lightworks on Linux for me is a no-go. There are no AMD GPU drvers for Fedora, only CentOS for RPM stuff. And Lightworks does. not. work. on. Ubuntu. 100% fail at launch. I have contacted Lightworks before on that issue and they said there was nothing they could do.

That leaves the possibility of the paid Linux's. The Red Hats and the Enterprise Suse's. Can anyone opine on the paid Linux's?

Re: Lightworks and Centos7? 1 year, 1 month ago #182728

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
May i ask what your intention is?
Time to create page: 1.06 seconds
Scroll To Top