Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer

Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180071

• ReaganReagan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Hi, after installation Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer. It add .lvix to any video file. Now that looks like this: filename.mp4.lvix
Do you have any things what I need to do?

Re: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180074

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
It hasn't changed any of your files. Lightworks doesn't do that. Those are index files that Lightworks has created in addition to your existing files. You shouldn't do anything to them.
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180075

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Welcome to the forum.

Lightworks hasn't changed your video media files, however, it has added a cookie type file.lvix which holds the data that enables Lightworks to find your media. Other NLEs do the same.

Lightworks doesn't alter your media files, it's non destructive, it just logs the changes you make while editing.

Re: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180076

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello and welcome!

First, Lightworks never ever applies any modification to original media!

Lightworks creates index files during first file analysis to make subsequent runs of file analysis significantly faster, those index files do have the extension ".lvix". You can delete them safely, but next analysis on the folder will re-created them.

Your original files are still unmodified in place next to the .lvix files. Sort the folder you're inspecting with your file explorer by name and you'll see it.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180077

• ReaganReagan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
Yes, I saw that now. But why? I do not need all the videos to be indexed. May I to do something?

Re: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180080

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
You don't need them, but Lightworks does.

It's possible to hide .lvix files, same as any other file, from being displayed by Windows Explorer with the hidden attribute from NTSF file system. Unfortunately this has to be done after the files have been created and it's pretty uncomfortable with the available search functions of Windows Explorer.

I use the software "Voidtools Everything" to do that all at once across all present hard drives.

Re: Lightworks changed all my video files on my computer 4 months, 2 weeks ago #180095

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 2 weeks ago
ReaganReagan wrote:
Yes, I saw that now. But why? I do not need all the videos to be indexed. May I to do something?

Reading your question again, some additional information might be helpful for you.

Lightworks creates lvix-files when importing media via drag and drop only for the imported files. However, when scanning Places in Local Files, Lightworks starts analysis on all files in the selected folder and tries creating lvix-files for all files in the folder (to speed up future file analysis), no matter if files will imported afterwards or not (how should it know). To avoid unnecessary file analysis (and lvix-files), place the media you intend to import into separate (sub-)folders. Furthermore, deleting lvix-files with Lightworks shut down will do no harm (as mentioned earlier), because the missing index-files needed for already imported material will be created on demand.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top