Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Video Editing Preview Slow

Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179021

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I am not having any luck finding out any info (search) on this, so I am trying a post here.

I am brand new to Lightworks and evaluating whether I want to use it. While trying the "Quick Start" video, I find that when I try and "slide" through a video it does not display the video "real time" and only goes to the new location once I stop scrolling.

Is this a product of me not having enough resources (hardware) or are there settings that I need to change for my video adapter or something?

MSI GS63VR, Windows 10 Home

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Adapter RAM(1,048,576) bytes

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179054

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello and welcome!

Editing performance depends not only on computer specs but also on media format. There are ways to optimize, but available options depend on the media format you're using.

Could you post mediainfo of your footage please? Here you'll find further information on how to do that: www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=23&id=66072&Itemid=81
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179056

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Not sure where best to get the media info, but the "Local Files" shows:

4096x2160, AVCHD, 24fps (23.98)

Is this what you are looking for?

Ok... I got MetaInfo and here are is the meta information...
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by walkej.

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179060

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Not exactly, Mediainfo is a program which shows a long list of technical details.The output is shown in the link I posted above. However the information gives me a idea, roughly.

In general (there are difference depending on recording device) 4K AVCHD puts heavy load on the system when editing, even on your machine. Lightworks proxy workflow will help you editing this material fluently while preserving best possible export quality (which is limited to 720p with the Free version, as you probably know).

What device has this been recorded with?

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179061

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I edited my previous post to add the MetaInfo text file...

This was recorded with a Mavic Pro drone.

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179062

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
BTW... I am located in California (GMT-8 timezone)

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179064

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Thank your for the mediainfo. Germany, currently GMT +2 (close to Moscow).

To get the feeling of perfectly fluent editing, import the 4K drone footage via Create Link (that's default import method) and use internal proxy workflow.

Proxies are files with low resolution and bitrate, created from original media (or from intermediates) which replace the originals when editing.

To create proxies: Right-click on the source viewer (or onto a selection of clips in Project Contents) and select "Media.Make proxy". Progress bar shows progress. Wait until proxy creation is finished.

To enable proxy editing: Click on "Project" upper left hand side to open Project panel and select "Video.Main.Playback media quality" "Lowest availableā€. On export the original files will be used automatically for best possible quality.

V14.5 beta provides more proxy resolutions (better quality), many bug fixes and enhancements and, it's stable. Unfortunately, there's an issue with the audio mixer with current version. If you can live for a few days without adjustments on the audio mixer install it now, if you need the mixer, I gathered that next build is available early next week.
Last Edit: 3 months, 1 week ago by hugly.

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179071

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Sweet! The proxy editing did the trick! The proxy creation took quite a while, but it was worth it. I am running the V14.5 beta. How do you select the proxy resolution?

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179083

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
From project card upper left hand side, "Project.Media.Proxies". A good compromise for h.264 proxies is "Size 480", "Quality Medium". That's of course to be set before creating proxies. To replace, execute "Media.Delete proxies" on selected items (or source viewer) and with new settings "Media.Create proxies".

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179149

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
I really appreciate the help, but I am not finding this "From project card upper left hand side, "Project.Media.Proxies". " Under Project.Media all I see is "Location".

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179150

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Hello again,

Then you don't run 14.5 beta, but V14.0. From your post above I thought that you've installed V14.5 already. In V14.0 proxy quality isn't selectable.

In V14.5 it looks like this:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Video Editing Preview Slow 3 months, 1 week ago #179152

• walkej
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 months, 1 week ago
Doh! You're right. I will try the beta.

Thanks
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top