Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't import .MOV files into lightworks

Can't import .MOV files into lightworks 4 months ago #177403

• jonhahaha1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
Before I begin, I would like for you guys to know that I'm very new to lightworks and have been fiddling with it for about 3 months.

Recently, I've been recording videos on my IPhone 7+ and I wanted to edit them together. I import the files onto my computer through dropbox AND google drive, but neither help with my problem. IPhones automatically save the videos as .MOV files (not sure if there is a way to change that). When I try to import the .MOV files into lightworks, they are only sound files and I have no idea why. I've recorded videos on my IPhone before and they have had success being imported onto lightworks. If there is anything you guys know or even speculate please reply, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not an expert at video editing or videos at all, so feel free to look at the attachment below to get more info on the video file itself. If this isn't the right category for this problem I apologize.

Re: Can't import .MOV files into lightworks 4 months ago #177404

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
Welcome to the forum.

Since you're using a phone, which uses a variable frame rate, rather than a constant one. MOV is just a wrapper.

The V14.5 RC5 beta now supports variable frame rates (except AVI files), so it would be worth checking it out. It’s close to release, so is pretty stable; however, this is a new feature in this build being beta tested. It can be downloaded from the same page as V14.

If taking this route, ensure that “Apply VFR correction” is selected in the project menu (top left corner) under video, you can link to or transcode during import. If you have a lower powered computer using the Lightworks’ internal proxy editing should reduce the load on your machine.. Details on P138 in the V14 User Guide found in downloads > documentation

If you do run into an issue (including out of sync audio) with V14.5 RC5 beta, please report it in the appropriate beta forum, where the developers can easily spot it (not here).

You can install both Lightworks versions if you wish by putting the beta into a new, separate folder in your program directory.

Re: Can't import .MOV files into lightworks 4 months ago #177405

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months ago
It's extremely likely that the codec inside the wrapper that briandrys alluded to is HEVC. If that's the case you will need to transcode it, however at the moment we're just guessing. Could you please post a MediaInfo report of your problem media? You will find details on how to do that here.

Then we'll have a better idea of what we're dealing with and how to fix it.
Last Edit: 4 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Can't import .MOV files into lightworks 4 months ago #177478

• jonhahaha1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months ago
General
Complete name : C:\Users\Jon Ha\Desktop\Summer Vids\Video May 17, 10 45 00 PM.mov
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt 0000.00 (qt )
File size : 5.23 MiB
Duration : 7 s 138 ms
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 6 149 kb/s
Encoded date : UTC 2018-05-18 04:45:00
Tagged date : UTC 2018-05-18 04:45:08
Writing library : Apple QuickTime
com.apple.quicktime.make : Apple
com.apple.quicktime.model : iPhone 7 Plus
com.apple.quicktime.software : 11.3.1
com.apple.quicktime.creationdate : 2018-05-17T22:45:00-0600

Video
ID : 1
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main@L4.1@Main
Codec ID : hvc1
Codec ID/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Bit rate : 6 037 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 59.940 (59940/1000) FPS
Minimum frame rate : 54.545 FPS
Maximum frame rate : 60.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.049
Stream size : 5.14 MiB (98%)
Title : Core Media Video
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Duration : 7 s 137 ms
Source duration : 7 s 198 ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 93.8 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Channel positions : Front: C
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 81.7 KiB (2%)
Source stream size : 82.3 KiB (2%)
Title : Core Media Audio

Other #1
Type : meta

Other #2
Type : meta

Here is the mediainfo for one of the clips that doesn't import. Anything from this information from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Can't import .MOV files into lightworks 4 months ago #177479

HEVC is not supported in Lightworks yet.

If you can change your phone settings to record H.264 rather than HEVC it will eliminate this problem in the future.
For existing videos you will need to use another app to transcode from HEVC to a Lightworks supported codec before importing
Also using one of the fllmmaker apps, Filmic Pro or ProMovie will let you record in constant or nearly constant frame rate. Saves a lot of headaches when editing. These apps give you a lot more control over your phone camera if you intend to use it as a video production tool.
Razz

Digital Bolex 2k Cinema DNG raw camera
Canon GL2 DV camcorder
iPAD Mini 3 Iographer rig

Workstation: Intel i7-4770k, Asrock Z87 Thunderbolt 2 MB, 16GB 1866 DDR3 ram,
2TB Seagate Hybrid system drive, 2TB Seagate NAS media drive, E-sata III hot swap drive bay, Nvidia GTX760 2GB GPU
Lightworks kybrd. Shuttlepro v2
Win10 Pro 64bit, Lightworks 14.0 64bit

Mobile Workstation: MSI GTX72 Dominator
Intel i7-6700HQ 2.7GHz Win10 64bit
16GB DDR4 ram, 500GB M.2 SSD
Nvidia GTX970 3GB GPU
USB3, USB3.1-C, Thunderbolt 3 ports
Shuttlepro2 Win10 64bit LW 14.0 64 bit

Re: Can't import .MOV files into lightworks 4 months ago #177480

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months ago
As far as I understand from reading this information, it isn't mandatory to capture in HEVC, you can set recording format to AVC, even on an iPhone7 running iOS11, it says:

Other devices using iOS 11 or macOS High Sierra can view, edit, or duplicate HEIF and HEVC media, with some limitations.

Though capturing in HEIF and HEVC format is recommended, you can capture media using older formats that are more broadly compatible with other operating systems and devices:

In iOS 11, go to Settings > Camera.
Tap Formats.
Tap Most Compatible. This setting is available only on devices that can capture media in HEIF or HEVC format.
All new photos and videos will now use JPEG or H.264 format. To return to using the space-saving HEIF and HEVC formats, choose High Efficiency.

To convert existing HEVC recordings to AVC I'd suggest using Handbrake. Just in case you're not familiar with Handbrake , here you'll find information about suitable settings.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 4 months ago by hugly.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top