• Page:

TOPIC: Internal v External SSD

Internal v External SSD 5 months, 1 week ago #176396

• Johnpilot
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
All;

I currently have Lightworks on an internal SSD on my PC. As I add things I understand the value of having SSDs for working with the projects and also to backup. My question is:

Is there a reason I would want to have an internal SSD instead of external? I am not savvy enough to know if there is a performance difference worth considering on using external drives v internal ones.

Many thanks.

John

Re: Internal v External SSD 5 months, 1 week ago #176407

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
The most important for me, an internal is out of the way on my desk. I don't use SSD for backup, it's too expensive for me for that purpose.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Internal v External SSD 5 months, 1 week ago #176416

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Internal drives are more neat and organized. External drives are more easily replaced or swap-able when full, which you know the time will come.

The best of both worlds is to have docking bays in your tower, which is what I use. I have 3 internal drives and two docking bays built in my tower.
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: Internal v External SSD 5 months, 1 week ago #176418

• Johnpilot
  • Pro User
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
So the docking bay would be attached directly to the MB via a SATA cable as opposed to USB via the USB connections to the MB? I think that is the "faster" option.

Thanks.

John

Re: Internal v External SSD 5 months, 1 week ago #176420

• ArteD
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Yes, that's certainly one of the options. All depending on the connections your motherboard has.
I'm not employed by or officially represent Editshare or Lightworks. I'm just a Lightworks user.

Re: Internal v External SSD 5 months, 1 week ago #176426

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Referring to internal connections, on new hardware you should take M.2 PCIe SSDs under consideration.

sapphirenation.net/ssd-drives-part-connectors-interfaces-protocols/
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.33 seconds
Scroll To Top