Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively)

1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163223

• Barbagrappa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
For some reason nobody seems to have tested the latest HEDT cpu's with lightworks, yet an Intel 16-core or better was recommended to me for 4k60. Is Intel far superiour, or will a 1950x be good enough not to limit my workflow noticeably compared to a 7960x for example?

I use quite a few effects and go a bit crazy on the edits sometimes, but I'm still just a hobbyist really.

Any ideas?

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163236

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Hello and welcome!

In general overall editing performance is influenced by the complex relationship between computer configuration (Operating system CPU, chipset, RAM, GPU, graphics RAM, hard drives) on the one hand, and media and complexity of edits (resolution, codecs, number of tracks, number and kind effects) on the other hand.

The term "desired performance" puts the human factor into the already complex matter.

In other words: Video editing is like tractor pulling, performance depends on the load but, is it necessary to be always the first?

A meaningful approach for a hobbyist, where "time is money" isn't the primary target usually: On existing hardware, try optimizing your footage by converting prior to import (or using proxy workflows for UHD media) and optimize your workflows and your effect setups, before throwing money on computer hardware just to compensate for unsuitable footage or badly organized workflows.

But, if you’re a real speed enthusiast and money doesn’t play a significant role, purchase the fasted machine which you can afford. In this case the wallet limits your workflows.

My 2 cents.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by hugly.

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163244

• Barbagrappa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
I don't need the fastest machine possible, but since I only buy a new pc every 5 years or so,it would be silly to get a 1950x if a more expensive Intel cpu will make a significant difference. I won't go anywhere near as far wkth effects as professionals, but I do tend ro have a fair few in my videos to get my footage looking better and for optimizing audio, not so much "fun" effects. I think I'm inbetween a starting youtuber and a proffesional I think and time isn't a problem, as lomg as the system won't lag behind me too much. I don't think I will use a (4.5ghz) 7960x to its full potential anytime soon, but I'm not sure a 1950x will be good enough.

Really it comes down to whether lightworks has proper support for threadripper or not. Ryzen seems to work fine (can't find comparisons with a 8700k or 7800x though), but does threadripper two? I can't be certaon since threadripper consists of two r7 cpu's essentially.

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163247

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
If you're concerned about effects performance you'll get more bang for your buck with a high performance display card and a good fast dedicated hard drive for your media. That plus more than 16 GB of fast RAM and pretty much any current CPU will do it for you.

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163249

• Barbagrappa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
So a 1950x shouldn't be too much slower than a 7960x with a fast graphics card? Would a 1080 ti work properly with lightworks?
Last Edit: 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Barbagrappa.

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163252

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Barbagrappa wrote:
So a 1950x shouldn't be too much slower than a 7960x with a fast graphics card? Would a 1080 ti work properly with lightworks?

Properly?

Even much slower and by far cheaper equipment works properly with Lightworks.

When travelling I run Lightworks on a Macbook Air SSD from 2012 with dual core i3 and I'm happy with it.

What is your question exactly?

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163256

• Barbagrappa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Barbagrappa wrote:

Properly?

Even much slower and by far cheaper equipment works properly with Lightworks.

When travelling I run Lightworks on a Macbook Air SSD from 2012 with dual core i3 and I'm happy with it.

What is your question exactly?

Will it run without random crashes/glitches/....?

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163260

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Barbagrappa wrote:

Who can say without knowing the cause for current glitches and crashes?

Most problems of this kind are caused by compressed long GOP media or unsuitable media recorded in variable frame rate mode. Mobile phones, webcams, game capture and similar. This kind of trouble is hardly fixable by superior hardware, but in almost any case by transcoding to suitable intermediate formats prior to import. As side effect these formats reduce load on CPU significantly.

Re: 1950x or 7920x/7960x 4k60? (all oc-ed to 4.1ghz and 4.5ghz respectively) 8 months, 2 weeks ago #163261

• Barbagrappa
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 8 months, 2 weeks ago
hugly wrote:
Barbagrappa wrote:

Who can say without knowing the cause for current glitches and crashes?

Most problems of this kind are caused by compressed long GOP media or unsuitable media recorded in variable frame rate mode. Mobile phones, webcams, game capture and similar. This kind of trouble is hardly fixable by superior hardware, but in almost any cases by transcoding to suitable intermediate formats prior to import. As side effect these formats reduce load on CPU significantly.

So I should be fine then. Thanks!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.37 seconds
Scroll To Top