Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181181

• hemon
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
For what it's worth, you could probably drop the blend and feed your picture straight into the Fg input of the DVE. It will do the blend for you if all that you want is to resize the picture and not the background. Although I doubt whether just dropping a blend effect will help much - they don't have to do a lot.

Thanks for the tip I'll give that a try. But as I've seen this doing just basic changes in CC like gain and contrast adjustments, I doubt dropping the blend effect will do anything different. I've seen this happen at numerous points in the editing of this project, which admittedly is one of the larger projects I've attempted with LW.

From my experience to date with LW (which is not huge), I've not encountered this with any previous version I've used.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181184

• hemon
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Deleting all the lvix files, as well as aix/vix files for HDV streams, did not resolve the problem.

So I decided to narrow things down - working now on two native titles with no extra blends added, over the XHA1 HDV footage with CC applied. Trying to do anything with the titles seems to make the RAM ramping take place with aforementioned symptoms, system goes slow. At this point I killed LW and restarted the app.

This time I tried to first temporarily disabling the CC, and lo and behold LW is now quite happy to carry on without showing this problem. I can change txt sizing, position, and even keyframe both in weird and wonderful ways and everything behaves.

Re-enabling the CC on that footage recreates the problem.

So I thought this might be to do with the HDV stream being difficult on LW to decode, so I repeat this process using the 60D footage (MOV) instead, with CC applied. Same thing happened in that the titles were quite happy to be edited and moved around when the CC was disabled, but reenabling it recreates the problem. So this is not just isolated to the HDV stream, though in both cases the problem occurred when the CC was applied and enabled on the underlying video.

Does this give you guys a bit more of a hint?

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181185

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Strange, usually the standard color correction effect does not cause any problems. Would you like to post a screenshot of the routing at the relevant timeline position?
Are you using the default color correction effect, or one you have manually installed or copied?
What happens if you save the routing as an effect template and use it in a new test project with other media?

How do I know/test if it is a GPU problem?

I am using an older version of TechPowerUp GPU-Z. Meanwhile, my Win 10 Task Manager can also do some of this, which of course is not possible with Win 7.

Suppose your GPU were the cause of ramps in RAM, then you must have a GPU that shares this memory with the CPU. My GPU can only use 2GB of shared RAM. However, the sum of your ramps is much bigger.
Either it's another problem, or your GPU may have more RAM common memory.

Video output format? ... or do you mean project video settings?

I mean the project video settings.
For example, if this is set to UHD, then the GPU could reach the limits. The set frame rate has an influence on the playback GPU load.
If you want to export in 1080p, then this project setting makes sense, so that Text effects are scaled as they are later exported. 720p would be even more efficient in the preview, with the risk that, for example, text effects and some blur effects may look different at 1080p export.
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181188

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
May I point out that in my view the phenomenon is a bug and should be treated as such. Memory leaks as shown in the initial post of hemon must not occur under whatever conditions.

It could be that the problem is caused by damaged footage.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181213

• hemon
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
Needing to verify my assumptions, I've started a new project, put down the 60D footage (with no CC) and created a couple of titles over the top and having a play. After playing around with this set up for a bit, I've unfortunately noticed that the memory problems do still occur, to the point of complete unresponsiveness. Hence I can no longer say that CC is the problem. Dang, I thought I was getting somewhere. What I can say however is that I've seen this happen now in places where there are no titles and CC enabled, and with titles where no CC is enabled.

FWIW, here is the video from my 60D which I used for the above testing:
drive.google.com/open?id=1T5WqVfWdKiEiPR5R9H7AGAucXmG8utFW

schrauber: Strange, usually the standard color correction effect does not cause any problems. Would you like to post a screenshot of the routing at the relevant timeline position?

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

schrauber: Are you using the default color correction effect, or one you have manually installed or copied?

Stock standard. In fact I'm not even changing the colours, just the gain/contrast/saturation.

schrauber: I am using an older version of TechPowerUp GPU-Z. Meanwhile, my Win 10 Task Manager can also do some of this, which of course is not possible with Win 7.

Suppose your GPU were the cause of ramps in RAM, then you must have a GPU that shares this memory with the CPU. My GPU can only use 2GB of shared RAM. However, the sum of your ramps is much bigger.
Either it's another problem, or your GPU may have more RAM common memory.

See attached GPU-Z screen capture:

hugly: May I point out that in my view the phenomenon is a bug and should be treated as such. Memory leaks as shown in the initial post of hemon must not occur under whatever conditions.

I concur, this smells like a LW v14.0 bug. But I'd like a workaround

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181216

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
hemon wrote:
After playing around with this set up for a bit, I've unfortunately noticed that the memory problems do still occur, to the point of complete unresponsiveness.

Sometime experienced users are blind for some never tested creative workflows.

Could make a screen recording of "playing around with this setup for a bit" to make the steps visible which create the memory leak?
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 1 month ago #181217

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 1 month ago
See attached GPU-Z screen capture

Observe the "Sensors".

See if the GPU memory behaves like the ramps in your system RAM.

Irrespective of the medium, I can hang Lightworks by moving the Size slider in the text effect very often. In my test, I had to select the project setting UHD-select, so with a 2 GB ramp to exceed my GPU limit.

If you unfold your effect routing into an FX track, then you can test it without media to exclude the media as a cause. (Empty video and audio tracks).
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 year, 1 month ago by schrauber.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.31 seconds
Scroll To Top