Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory

Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #151923

So I've been using Lightworks free for about 3 years now and I just recently downloaded the brand new version on 64.bit. The previous versions have worked fine on my PC whilst I've had other windows open simultaneously like Google, iTunes and Photoshop, however since getting this new version, my programme is using up basically all of my usable RAM on my PC, without Google or any other window open, I launch Lightworks and open my task manager, and eventually I can see it's using almost 5,500mb of memory at most, 98% of all memory. If I persist with it and try to open a project, my entire PC freezes and I'm forced to hard-restart the whole thing.

Admittedly, I'm not a total computer whizz but I may understand some basic functions (if any) to solve this issue. If anybody can give any advice on how this has started happening and how I can stop it for the future, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #151938

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
Hello and welcome!

As far as I know Windows doesn't provide any user-adjustable method to limit maximum memory size for a certain process except on Windows server installations, but Windows handles dynamic memory requests in most cases balanced, you shouldn't see problems with other applications.

Extremely high memory consumption during playback in Lightworks could be caused by highly compressed media with long keyframe distances, such as AVC in MP4 containers. Converting this kind of media prior to import to more edit-friendly formats might help to reduce memory consumption.

You can install 32-bit version of Lightworks. There you should see some memory limit. I don't know if this will affect editing performance, it depends on your computer, the complexity of your edits and the especially the media used.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #151940

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
But 5.5 GB, without a projet to open is not normal.
If I close and reopen Lightworks, then it is 0.1GB for Lightworks, at 2 GB for the whole PC. (without opening a Lightworks project)

Maybe Lightwors loads some corrupt file (such as effect templates, etc.) at startup?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152006

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Look at this, It keeps getting worse. No other windows open, no project open. I swear it's only since I downloaded the new version 14.0, every other version I've used since v.11 in 2014 has worked perfectly fine. Because of this, I can't see it being my PC hardware if the other versions have been ok. I may just need to speak with someone who knows the technical support specifics at Lightworks, but do they even offer that service to people who use the free software?
I've been messing with my computer for a couple of hours today alone just to try to get it to work, I've gotten nowhere. I've deleted a few old, empty projects which I thought may be expendable in order to fix it, this did nothing.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152007

P.s. Please do ignore the quality of my recent projects XD.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152011

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
Does one of your project thumbnails say 'Loading..' on it?
Lightworks Development

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152130

Yes it does, does that show that there might be something wrong with the project? a corrupted file?

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152188

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
Because it's the weekend in the UK you will get a delay in response. Great White is probably fast asleep at the moment. However you can try this for yourself.

1. Hover over that project with your mouse.
  2. A pop-up will appear with five lines of text in it. The middle one is "Location" and will have something like "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects\PJ0K073Q" in it. In Linux it will be something like "/home/[USER NAME]/Lightworks/Projects/PJ0K073Q" and on the Mac, "/User/USER ACCOUNT/Lightworks/Projects/PJ0K073Q".
  3. Make a note of that address, then shut Lightworks down.
  4. Go to the address and move that (in my example) PJ0K073Q folder into a new folder "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects\bak".
  5. There will be a matching G folder, so also move GJ0K073Q folder into "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Projects\bak".
  6. Boot up Lightworks again.

That may fix your problem. If it does you have a corrupt project and we will need to look at techniques to recover it. Just remember - your project won't be called PJ0K073Q or anything like it. That is an example from my system only.

However if that makes no difference, restore that project, then try the following.

1. With Lightworks shutdown, navigate to the "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates" folder. In Linux it will be "/usr/share/lightworks/PJ0K073Q" and on the Mac, "/User/USER ACCOUNT/Lightworks/Effect Templates".
  2. Rename it to "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Lightworks\Effect Templates.bak" or the appropriate equivalent for your operating system.
  3. Boot up Lightworks again.

If that starts Lightworks reliably you had a corrupt effects folder. Your problem is now fixed and you can also safely delete "Effect Templates.bak". If you had any user effects installed you will need to re-install them, but you should never install the full library. That will slow your start times enormously, since Lightworks will re-compile them every time you start up.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by jwrl.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152221

YES! That's fixed it, moving the project into a new folder.
Luckily, it's not a serious project, so I guess I could have just simply deleted it? Whatever, I'm just so happy to have it back working properly now.
Thank you so much. Thanks aswell to you other guys who helped out aswell. I can get back to work now and try out some of the new features.
I'll keep an eye out for corrupted files in the future.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 2 years, 3 months ago #152226

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 2 years, 3 months ago
For your future work: If metadata of a project got damaged and they aren't restorable from automatic backups, a manually created backup of the project can be used to restore. That has always worked for me.

To create a project backup select "Project.Details.Backup" from project menu.
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by hugly.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 2 months ago #181123

• hemon
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
It seems like I might be having similar issues with memory. Except that I have tried both renaming the project files as well as the effects templates folder, and though admittedly it worked well for a bit longer (10 minutes), I am now again getting a memory creeping issue. See the picture attached.

In the picture you can see cleary two memory usage ramps (I can verify in both instances those ramps were occuring in lightworks), in both cases all I was doing was just trying to manipulate two titles over laying each other, over one video track, which was over several deselected audio tracks and one unselected audio track (all stereo).

I was basically only changing the text size, so this would normally be totally ok. When the ramping of memory is happening, lightworks becomes unusable, and the system slows down dramatically (almost becoming unstable) - today was the first time it slowed things down so much I had to kill lightworks, and then everything returned to normal again.

These symptoms seem to have happened in V14 on my HP Elitebook 8750P (with hyper threading), with 16GB RAM installed. It sports a Core i7-3720QM CPU 2.6GHz. This project has 3 varieties of video files, HDV (from XHA1), MOV from Canon 60D, and MOV from GH3 (50Mbps, non-AllI frames). C:\ drive has 10GB of space free, and my media folder is on E:\ drive together with the source files. I have not used proxies however, and imported the sources as links. The total project finish size is about 1 hour 20 minutes long.

Any suggestions what I should try to make this annoying problem go away?

Edit:

In addition to that, when the memory ramping and non-responsiveness is occuring, Lightworks application icon in my app bar (Win7) appears to have two instances of it running. I've attached another picture showing this.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by hemon.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 2 months ago #181152

• schrauber
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
I had a similar problem and solved that by replacing an apparently broken clip segment on my sequence timeline.

If the problem occurs reproducibly at the playback of a particular point in the timeline, then I would first try to localize the problem exactly. For better security in a copy of the sequence, or even better in a new project, or after a project backup.

I see two ramps in your screenshot. Did they appear at different places in the timeline?

If you have located the critical positions in the timeline, first remove all effects at that position. Does the problem still occur?

If so, search within the "Project Content" in the clip filter for the source clips associated with that sequence's tmeline position, and find the position in the clip that is causing problems in the sequence. Play these source clips at these locations, and be aware of your memory usage. Is something unusual noticed?

On your screenshot I notice that apparently 9 GB are occupied by the cache?
I'm not familiar with Win 7 yet. Win 10 would automatically make these 9 GB available for programs when needed.

Maybe may not be the RAM memory usage that is the problem, but the GPU memory usage? This can significantly increase when keyframing text effects or image key effects. This may also depend on the project settings.
Which video / output / format did you set?
Are you using Lightworks 14.0 or 14.5?
Mainly automatically translated
--------------------------------------------
Windows 10, 64 Bit
Intel i5-4440 (3,1 GHz) ; Intel HD Graphics 4600
Last Edit: 1 year, 2 months ago by schrauber.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 2 months ago #181156

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
FWIW

The graph of memory usage looks insane, it indicates ongoing memory allocation up to full RAM space. I encountered that recently with RC8. It was caused by a lvix file which has been created with V14.0 from a screen recording with GOP > 250 frames (which shouldn't exist on camera recorded footage). The problem I've encountered is fixable by deleting the related lvix files with Lightworks shut down.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 2 months ago #181177

• hemon
  • Pro User
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
I see two ramps in your screenshot. Did they appear at different places in the timeline?

No, they were both in the process of editing the title I was working on. It seems to have a propensity to happen in everything VFX related. Note that sometimes when this happens I force close LW and reopen it, and in most cases I don't see the same problem in the same area. But I'll try to be more attentive to this to be absolutely sure.

On your screenshot I notice that apparently 9 GB are occupied by the cache?

Hmm ... it would appear so, though I'm not sure what that means. In most cases LW doesn't take much RAM at all, but when you launch the VFX panel and start to playing around with it (including CC, particularly using the sliders) LW would freeze, with the turny-roundy-working-icon, and the dual window will appear and LW would appear to disappear from the screen to reveal another application (Chrome or something else) behind it, then it would come back, then disappear etc. It is this time that I see the RAM ramping occurring.

Maybe may not be the RAM memory usage that is the problem, but the GPU memory usage? This can significantly increase when keyframing text effects or image key effects. This may also depend on the project settings.
Which video / output / format did you set?
Are you using Lightworks 14.0 or 14.5?

How do I know/test if it is a GPU problem?

I wasn't doing much in the way of keyframes, one of the main titles was a picture with an alpha channel, so had a blend effect added, and also a DVE with keyframe on scale to make it zoom in a bit. There was also standard txt overlay on top of that and both of them have in/out effects which transition them in/out.

Video output format? I wasn't compiling at this point, or do you mean project video settings? in any case both are 29.97fps, 1080p - working with these 3 video sources from 3 cams. Note that I captured the HDV from the XHA1 using HDVSplit free tool, could this be the issue?

This is occurring with LW14.0 - I've found LW 14.5 too buggy to work with.

The graph of memory usage looks insane, it indicates ongoing memory allocation up to full RAM space.

I concur, it is totally insane! Just yesterday it hit full RAM and my system became almost fully unresponsive at that point until I managed (painfully) to kill LW and system RAM returned to normal levels after that. Again, no doubt that LW was causing the issue.

The problem I've encountered is fixable by deleting the related lvix files with Lightworks shut down.

I'll certainly give that a go, and report back.

Re: Lightworks using huge amounts of memory 1 year, 2 months ago #181180

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 1 year, 2 months ago
hemon wrote:
one of the main titles was a picture with an alpha channel, so had a blend effect added, and also a DVE with keyframe on scale to make it zoom in a bit. There was also standard txt overlay on top of that and both of them have in/out effects which transition them in/out.

For what it's worth, you could probably drop the blend and feed your picture straight into the Fg input of the DVE. It will do the blend for you if all that you want is to resize the picture and not the background. Although I doubt whether just dropping a blend effect will help much - they don't have to do a lot.

What are the in and out transitions that you're using?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds
Scroll To Top