Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Minimum System requirements

Minimum System requirements 3 years, 3 months ago #117355

• Thatduckgod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
What are the minimum system requirements for Lightworks free?

Re: Minimum System requirements 3 years, 3 months ago #117359

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 3 years, 3 months ago
Welcome t6o the forum.

Here are the Recommended System Specs

Intel i7 chipset or faster, fast AMD chipset
3GB RAM or higher
Two high-resolution displays (1920 x1080) or above
PCI Express graphics card (NVIDIA or ATI) with 1GB or higher and support for DirectX 9 (Windows only)
Separate media and system drives (these can be internal or external as long as the the interface is suitably fast
Compatible sound card
200MB Disk space for Lightworks installation

Some are using a i5 CPU with Lightworks and you don't need two displays. However, less powerful machines are going to run into difficulies editing highly compressed codecs.

Re: Minimum System requirements 5 months, 1 week ago #197088

• VBR
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
briandrys wrote:
Some are using a i5 CPU with Lightworks and you don't need two displays. However, less powerful machines are going to run into difficulies editing highly compressed codecs.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but could you explain to me why that is? I have an i5 4690k, & am thinking of trying LW you see. I also have some other questions...

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=20&id=197084&Itemid=81#197084

Re: Minimum System requirements 5 months, 1 week ago #197092

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Heavily compressed codecs require more effort from the CPU to expand for editing. The explanation that follows is really an oversimplification, but should give you a rough idea why.

Usually those codecs don't store every complete frame. What they often do is store one frame every so often, then store the differences between those frames and the intermediate frames. That means that the computer has to rebuild those frames for you to be able to edit them, and has to have sufficient power to rebuild them in real time on the fly.

But if you're at all doubtful, download and try Lightworks. It will cost you nothing and doesn't take up a lot of space on your hard drive. That will tell you more than any description will, and will tell you quicker too.

Re: Minimum System requirements 5 months, 1 week ago #197102

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
As jwrl says the best way is to test Lightworks, with the internal proxy editing some users are managing with i3 CPUs.

Re: Minimum System requirements 5 months, 1 week ago #197103

• VBR
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 months, 1 week ago
Thanks for the answers guys. I understand now. It's not possible for me to try LW at present as I'm building a budget PC for it.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll To Top