Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Next beta - when?

Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64072

• brdloush
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
Hi (admins?),

when are we going to see next beta version (12?) and what new features can we expect?

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64073

• Greg_E
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
It may need to wait until the Mac version is ready for beta so that all three can come out at once. This should be the last time they need to fiddle with the base code to get the three versions the same.

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64078

• shaunthesheep
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
The release of the Mac public Beta version will be an important moment for Lightworks because I believe I am right in thinking that it is the platform of choice for many creative professionals and editors.

Could anyone working in the industry confirm this? Are there any stats on this anywhere?
Desktop
Dell Inspiron 560MT. Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Processor, 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3, Windows 7 64 bit SP1/Ubuntu Studio 14.04.2 duel boot. On-board graphics chip. Samsung SyncMaster S23B35OH LED monitor. EchoAudio Mia 24/96 soundcard.

Laptop
Dell Precision M6700, i7 3740QM CPU @2.70Ghz, NVidia Quadro K3000M, 8GB ram. Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I am not employed by EditShare. I am a Lightworks user.

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64084

• fischerb
shaunthesheep wrote:
The release of the Mac public Beta version will be an important moment for Lightworks because I believe I am right in thinking that it is the platform of choice for many creative professionals and editors.

you are right, OS X is very present in the field of professional media work and design, even though its actual market share varies a lot in different countries.

but i wouldn't expect to much acceptance for LW from the average macintosh audience. there are practical reasons why they like/use their operating system, and LW looks perfectly incompatible to all their expectations. a software that doesn't have the typical OS X look and feel will never survive in this area! os x users are much more interested in innovative visual/mouse oriented operation, not in mature tools, that work very precise on a more abstract level using mainly key strokes.

so i feel quite pessimistic about LWs future on this platform -- but for sure, a few people will like it!

if you have ported some software from windows to linux, it isn't a big step anymore to support osx too. but it isn't only an technical problem. the real difficulties are more related to different expectations and technical capabilities of average users on both operating systems. linux users are used to inquire answers for all their problems on the internet; macintosh users expect commercial software that works out of the box. whenever a linux problem looks nearly unsolvable, you will always find somebody, who can fix it himself. on the macintosh side you can hardly expect customers, that will give you useful bug reports at all. well -- this may sound a little bit unbalanced, but you will see, this kind of troubles really exist.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by .

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64086

• arniepix
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
I routinely work with Avid and FCP for different clients. I'd love to tell my FCP clients to look to a Mac version of LW as a replacement for FCP "classic".

For my own work, I'd prefer to use LW on the Mac, but I really don't have any problem using it on Windows or Linux.
I work in Manhattan, USA, but at night I cross the waters to sleep in Brooklyn, USA.

Also, post production is not an afterthought!

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64090

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
fischerb wrote:
on the macintosh side you can hardly expect customers, that will give you useful bug reports at all. well -- this may sound a little bit unbalanced, but you will see, this kind of troubles really exist.

I don't think it'll be your average Mac user that will be using Lightworks. FCP X has hardly been an a example of perfection to date and there's still work to do with that program. Its target is more the FCP7 user who has been holding off and perhaps the Premiere user who doesn't like paying subscriptions.

However, I do feel that Lightworks does need to close the gap in certain areas like having a few more audio features and truly get up to speed with the features on the 64 bit version. I sense that possibly the 32 bit version won't be available on the Mac.

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64100

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
fischerb wrote:
a software that doesn't have the typical OS X look and feel will never survive in this area! os x users are much more interested in innovative visual/mouse oriented operation, not in mature tools, that work very precise on a more abstract level using mainly key strokes. (...) linux users are used to inquire answers for all their problems on the internet; macintosh users expect commercial software that works out of the box. whenever a linux problem looks nearly unsolvable, you will always find somebody, who can fix it himself.

I think that attitude exists on mac users, but it is not the only attitude present, many just want to work on video / post / image and will take the necessary steps to do so.

Mac users have to be convinced now, Apple itself helped by launching the faulty FCPX (although I think most of its problems are solved by now, over a year later). LightWorks had announced the Mac version about 2 years and a half ago, and it would have been a great step for them to make those users know their NLE. I still hope this can be the case, as a Mac user myself I am very interested in LWKS, not because of its interface but because of its power.

As for the release date... sadly, the forums don't seem to be too frequented by the admins, but they did say that the Mac version (v12) "will be ready for Alpha testing very soon after the release of 11.5", which happened two weeks ago I think. Here:

www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=29&id=58953&limit=15&limitstart=30&Itemid=81#61807

Also, someone mentioned that in the FaceBook page of LightWorks there was an announcement saying "EditShare is planning to release an alpha version of Lightworks for Mac by February or sooner". So we should be very close to version 12 and that should be tri-platform version, something that is already announced on the features list.
Last Edit: 5 years, 7 months ago by DJAnt1.

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 7 months ago #64166

• Matt Sandford
  • Administrator
    Pro User
  • Administrator
  • 5 years, 7 months ago
We are working on getting the Mac version ready for Alpha testing which should happen over the coming weeks (no date confirmed yet) The Mac Alpha is anticipated to last only for a few weeks while we make sure everything is as expected. Version 12 will then be released as a Public Beta on Windows, Linux and Mac! Again, this is all dependent on testing etc but we hope this to all happen very quickly. I will keep you updated

We we shortly be releasing a maintenance build 11.5.1.a for Beta testing on Windows and Linux. This build simply fixes a few bugs users have reported since the release of 11.5. I would hope this will be available this week.

Matt
Lightworks Product Manager

Re: Next beta - when? 5 years, 6 months ago #66672

• DJAnt1
  • Junior Boarder
  • 5 years, 6 months ago
Matt Sandford wrote:
We are working on getting the Mac version ready for Alpha testing which should happen over the coming weeks (no date confirmed yet) The Mac Alpha is anticipated to last only for a few weeks while we make sure everything is as expected. Version 12 will then be released as a Public Beta on Windows, Linux and Mac!

Hello,

Are there any news about the Mac version? Last announcement was for February or before, according to a post in FB that someone mentioned here. Some people are now speculating that LWKS for Mac might be launched during NAB, so we'd still have about 3 more coming weeks to go. I am not asking you to spoil the surprise, but could you post the system requirements and such for the Mac version while we wait?

Thanks a lot!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds
Scroll To Top