Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me
Anything that doesn't fit into any other category.

TOPIC: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future"

"Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224957

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
www.redsharknews.com/lightworks-nle-and-qscan-now-have-new-owners-and-a-bright-future

Know the announcement thread was locked, but I'm actually... kind of stoked about this and want to talk about it!

If the news read LWKS is transitioning to a worker's co-op I'd have pinched myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming, but the software (and QScan!) being bought out by employees who worked on it is the next best thing. Was always a little worried another venture capital firm would come in. My history is a little foggy, but is this the first time since the early '90s that Lightworks was owned by Lightworks?

Also: new logo(!?). Know that rebranding's for the new company, but the fact that Lightworks will be separate from EditShare Flow -- and therefore not locked into a GUI style -- makes me excited for a potential GUI refresh in the future.

This is a shot in the arm, for sure.

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224959

• MYClick1
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Cant wait to see what happens with Lightworks in the near future, hope the get new desktop icon, never liked that shark.
This is my all time favorite NLE.

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224961

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
I suspect the shark will still be there, it's pre Editshare.

EDIT It's there in 1993

editstock.com/blogs/all/10988125-lightworks-user-guide-buried-in-1993-discovered-in-2011
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by briandrys.

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224962

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Yeah it's pretty iconic! The most upvoted Reddit post about Lightworks is from someone who made a Minecraft version of the logo.
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by SepiaStudios. Reason: Clean up link

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224963

• motosega
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
"Both products are scheduled to have new releases in November, with further announcements regarding the future development roadmap to come."

holds breath...

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224964

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
This is a shot in the arm, for sure

Exciting times!
Lightworks Development

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224965

• hugly
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
The fact that a private equity company agrees to an employee buyout has its own meaning.

Great White, I wish you and all your colleagues with the new company all the best and great success with this new challenge.
It's better to travel well than to arrive...

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224967

By the way the shark has a name, she's called Lucy.
But I'm also pretty stoked. I've been using and enjoying Lightworks for the last 9 years... I came originally for the cross platform open source project, but I stayed for the incredible stability, reliability and design, and it's ability to run on pretty much any computer, and it's affordable pricing scheme. And I ended up really caring for that pile of bits.
So the idea that it now goes to a company that is dedicated to it, more focused and carrying along the team that made it what it is now... that sounds great.

PS : for @SepiaStudios I love the good old flexible GUI... (actually I miss some pre content browser functions like the bin and rack workflow that has been made harder by having a small + icon instead of a big 'make new bin'/'make new rack' icon) So I will disagree strongly with you on the GUI (except if they are purely cosmetic and manage not to eat up any pixels of my screen real estate... or even free more of it)

PPS : still hoping for some open source realease in some future (even If I know it's not a piece of cake)

PPPS : I'm sure that with the right combination of tools lightworks could beat Davinci... let' say using things like natron for compositing and some more advanced sound tools.
DELL XPS 15 2019 OLED : OS, win 10; CPU, i9-9980HK@2.4GHz ; Ram, 32GB; GPU, Intel UHD 630 / nvidia Deforce GTX 1650 ; SSD, 1TB nvme;
Most common cameras : Sony Nex EA50 ; Sony A7III

My Club (Fance)
CCOF : cameracluborsayfaculte.com/
My personal blog : imagesetidees.wordpress.com/

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224968

• Great White
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Great White, I wish you and all your colleagues with the new company all the best and great success with this new challenge.

Thank you - we appreciate that!
Lightworks Development

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224969

• SepiaStudios
  • Edu User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Great White wrote:
This is a shot in the arm, for sure

Exciting times!

Absolutely, congrats!

hugly wrote:
The fact that a private equity company agrees to an employee buyout has its own meaning.

Seconded!

jonathan.bondu wrote:

So the idea that it now goes to a company that is dedicated to it, more focused and carrying along the team that made it what it is now... that sounds great.

PS : for @SepiaStudios I love the good old flexible GUI... (actually I miss some pre content browser functions like the bin and rack workflow that has been made harder by having a small + icon instead of a big 'make new bin'/'make new rack' icon) So I will disagree strongly with you on the GUI (except if they are purely cosmetic and manage not to eat up any pixels of my screen real estate... or even free more of it)

Totally agree. I solely use the flexible GUI. Maybe I should choose different words next time -- what I'm talking about are cosmetic things (ie. updated, high-res icons) and some tweaks based on accessibility to new users. EDIT: my point is more that I'm excited to see what paths open up now it's developed independently, rather than a secondary element of a product suite that needed to maintain consistency!
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by SepiaStudios. Reason: clean-up / clarify the ending paragraph

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #224993

• geomcd1949
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Congratulations on taking ownership! My expectations have increased the will to snobbery by a factor of 10. When can I buy a nice polo shirt with an elegant Lightworks logo?
North Carolina, USA
Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
2x2.7 GHz E5-2680
240GB SSD for LWKS and 500GB SSD for source material
64 GB DDR3 10600
Quadro K4200
~X-Keys Pro 68 key USB Jog/Shuttle controller
*Galaxy S7 with Filmic Pro*
*2xJVC GY-HM150*
Last Edit: 4 months, 1 week ago by geomcd1949.

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #225008

• jwrl
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Better wait til the new one appears!

For what it's worth, Qscan (as opposed to QScan) here in Australia is a medical imaging/radiology group. Could get confusing.

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #225009

• briandrys
    Pro User
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
You need to be careful when you google, the medical imaging is the likely search result.

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #225013

• kalimerox
  • Pro User
  • Platinum Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Exciting news!! Congrats and all the best!!

Re: "Lightworks NLE and QScan now have new owners and a bright future" 4 months, 1 week ago #225022

• Tamerlin
  • Pro User
  • Gold Boarder
  • 4 months, 1 week ago
Exciting news! I'm looking forward to what comes out of this
Time to create page: 0.39 seconds
Scroll To Top